[SOLVED] Windows 10 Installation errors

Jun 7, 2020
I am trying to install windows 10 home on my newly built pc. I have downloaded the media creation tool from microsofts website and have it on a blank 64 GB usb drive. When the windows setup comes up, i get to the part where it has me enter my product key, or choose to continue without a product key. The first time, i was able to enter my product key and the installation continued, but shortly after i got an error "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D." I thought maybe the media tool was messed up so i reformatted my usb drive and redownloaded the tool. But when i go back to start the installation again, it says my product key is invalid. I called microsoft support and they told me the key should still be working. I then just tried to continue the installation without a product key, chose windows 10 home, and then got an error saying "Windows cannot find the microsoft software license terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation." Is there maybe something im doing wrong with installing the media creation tool?

Solution
Well, first of all, you don't "install" the media creation tool. You download it, and then you run it. That's it. You don't need to format your drive. You don't need to do ANYTHING except run the media creation tool. The tool does everything that is required to create bootable installation media.

If you have had multiple problems with this same drive then the problem is almost certainly 100% that there is a problem with this flash drive. I would highly recommend that you buy or borrow another, newer, flash drive and point the media creation tool to that.

Also, when you are creating the media you need to be sure to choose the "Create installation media for use on another computer" option. You really want a flash drive that is at least...
Well, first of all, you don't "install" the media creation tool. You download it, and then you run it. That's it. You don't need to format your drive. You don't need to do ANYTHING except run the media creation tool. The tool does everything that is required to create bootable installation media.

If you have had multiple problems with this same drive then the problem is almost certainly 100% that there is a problem with this flash drive. I would highly recommend that you buy or borrow another, newer, flash drive and point the media creation tool to that.

Also, when you are creating the media you need to be sure to choose the "Create installation media for use on another computer" option. You really want a flash drive that is at least 16GB. You can get by with 8GB but typically 16GB flash drives are much newer and faster, and less likely to be problematic due to space restrictions. You used to only need a 4GB flash drive but that ship sailed long ago.

If you get a known good 8-16GB flash drive, and follow my guide, you SHOULDN'T have any problems. If you do, then it's probably either the drive or there is something fundamentally wrong with your hardware configuration or assembly.

Solution