Question Windows 10 is VERY sluggish waking up

Patric Schwaab

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi all, In the last few weeks my PC has been extremely sluggish when waking up, to the point where I click on things and it sometimes takes up to a couple minutes for it to respond. It’s never done this before, I run off an SSD for the boot drive, and an HDD and second SSD for programs. I’ve got an Intel i5 4590, an rx 580, asus z97-a mono, along with two Samsung ssds (which I defragmented to see if that’s the issue) and a wd blue hdd(which I also defragmented) I’ve run SMART on all of them, and I’ve gone into task manager to kill a couple services like asusfancontrol, and asussyscontrol, but no dice. I basically have to restart it and not use sleep mode to make it useful. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it happen in safe mode? would tell you if its a driver or hardware.
A lot of the time, problems exiting sleep are caused by older drivers

You can download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any - this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters are a bad idea.

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Before I took these I ran driver booster to check for old drivers and updated a few that way.
you know, i didn't say
this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters are a bad idea.
because i like to fill in space. :)

Driver booster was one of the 3rd party programs I was saying were bad ideas. It can install the wrong drivers, its done it to me before. It often says you have updates when you actually don't. It installed Xeon drivers on my last I5 system.

its only upside is it creates a system restore point before installing any.

So Driver booster MIGHT have fixed your problem, does PC seem any different?

Now you run DB before making listing, I don't know whats old and what was changed So unless you still have the problem, I won't look yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

Patric Schwaab

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
you know, i didn't say

because i like to fill in space. :)

Driver booster was one of the 3rd party programs I was saying were bad ideas. It can install the wrong drivers, its done it to me before. It often says you have updates when you actually don't. It installed Xeon drivers on my last I5 system.

its only upside is it creates a system restore point before installing any.

So Driver booster MIGHT have fixed your problem, does PC seem any different?

Now you run DB before making listing, I don't know whats old and what was changed So unless you still have the problem, I won't look yet.
I totally misunderstood your post there, I thought when you said that you meant third party drivers for stuff, not third party driver installation programs. Now suddenly that makes more sense! It seems to have helped a bit, but it seems some games are still having framerate issues and are being a bit sluggish, and a couple of times the PC still is taking a bit to wake up. I'll sit with it for a day or so and leave it in sleep mode for a while to see if the issue is fixed, also I'll try and stop using driver booster haha. What do you recommend as a better way to update drivers? Thanks for your help, I'll post again in the next couple days as to whether the issue has been fixed or not.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, you can always check if Driver booster created a restore point before installing anything and roll back its changes
type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
then open the newest restore point that is prior to running driver booster

then re run driver view and show me what it sees.

It appears all the drivers it updated didn't help. Now its true I may just repeat its actions but its worth a try.

What do you recommend as a better way to update drivers?
i use driver view, see what is actually on PC and work from there.

Now it does help to know where to go from there, I wouldn't use any of the websites that just offer drivers for any software - they exist - but instead go to the Asus website for motherboard and see what you should have. Obviously its old now, drivers from 5 years ago won't help but the names of the drivers helps you figure out where to go

MB Website - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z97A/HelpDesk_Download/
I went through list and here are the main headers, if I don't mention it, its not needed.
LAN - realtek - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
Chipset - I would get this from Asus still- Version 11.0.5.1189 - you may already have this
Audio - this should be built into windows
VGA drivers - you don't need these
USB - you probably have these already

Display drivers - go to AMD

Patric Schwaab

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
I kept it in sleep for a day or so then tried to boot it up again, it's much more responsive now, so it seems updating the drivers did the trick.

For extra measure I updated both the Lan and Display drivers. I tried to update the chipset, but it says that another version is already installed. I'm not sure if it means the same version, or a different incorrect version, I tried to check using driver viewer, but I wasn't able to find it. Regardless, everything seems to be working again, so thank you for your help!

In the future I'll try not to use driver booster anymore, and instead update the drivers manually or maybe through windows update or device manager. Thanks again!

kind of interesting that you have a over clock driver being loaded from drive S:
(rtcore64.sys )

the last sluggish system I looked at was cause by a AIO service sending 200,000 packets a minute over USB. each packet was small maybe 8 bytes
but each packet triggered a 160 byte eventlog entry (internal log) this cause the event subsystem to use all of the free RAM space, then the memory manager paged everything it could to the page file, then started paging filling up the pagefile.sys.

The end result was devices would sleep and miss the wake up events that were sent to it on the same USB bus that was flooded by the AIO device.
everything was really working as fast as it could but the real problem was the AIO software sending 200000 packets per minute rather than something like 60 packets per minute.
With new LED lighting you can have a really stupid driver changing colors way too fast. with older machines you could put the device on its own USB bus.
Move some devices to USB 2 and some devices to usb 3. this may not work on newer machines that just use a usb3 and emulate usb2.
also the usb goes thru the PCI network now so it can now disrupt other devices that it would normally never effect.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if he has an AIO I don't see its drivers

what WIFI are you using?
I see MT7612U Phoenix driver for a Mediatek Wireless device
I also see Intel Wireless network driver.

you could probably uninstall AI suite and any other Asus apps as they unlikely to be much help now.
Exitlag game booster may not help a lot. I would remove it unless you use it.
I would offer an updated version of Scarlet Crush but even the 2015 version isn't much better - drivers for playstation controllers.
G Hub may replaced the Logitech software you have. If it does, you will need to uninstall Logitech Gaming Software as for some reason it doesn't do it when you install G Hub

also the usb goes thru the PCI network now so it can now disrupt other devices that it would normally never effect.
unrelated to this but I always did wonder why my mouse dying could stop the GPU drivers from running. Maybe you finally explained a problem I had last year, or should I say, why replacing mouse fixed it.

what WIFI are you using?

you could probably uninstall AI suite and any other Asus apps as they unlikely to be much help now.
I would offer an updated version of Scarlet Crush but even the 2015 version isn't much better - drivers for playstation controllers.
G Hub may replaced the Logitech software you have. If it does, you will need to uninstall Logitech Gaming Software as for some reason it doesn't do it when you install G Hub

unrelated to this but I always did wonder why my mouse dying could stop the GPU drivers from running. Maybe you finally explained a problem I had last year, or should I say, why replacing mouse fixed it.
I once looked at a system that the GPU was sharing the same interrupt as the serial port.
they reported symptom was when i move my mouse fast my GPU bugchecks with a timeout.
turned out the person was swapping various GPU cards and booted windows but never went into bios and reset it to defaults.
each time he removed a card, windows would reserve its settings assuming the card had failed, then it detected the new card and tried to assign resources.
by the time I looked at it the GPU was sharing resources behind a mouse port. Things would work until you moved the mouse then the graphics had to wait until the mouse was done. Really bad for a game, and if you shake the mouse for 30 seconds the GPU driver would starve and window would call a bugcheck.

Last edited:

Patric Schwaab

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
Update: It's definitely faster and more responsive, but I am seeing a performance hit (stuttering) in games which goes away after I reboot it.

kind of interesting that you have a over clock driver being loaded from drive S:
(rtcore64.sys )

the last sluggish system I looked at was cause by a AIO service sending 200,000 packets a minute over USB. each packet was small maybe 8 bytes
but each packet triggered a 160 byte eventlog entry (internal log) this cause the event subsystem to use all of the free RAM space, then the memory manager paged everything it could to the page file, then started paging filling up the pagefile.sys.

The end result was devices would sleep and miss the wake up events that were sent to it on the same USB bus that was flooded by the AIO device.
everything was really working as fast as it could but the real problem was the AIO software sending 200000 packets per minute rather than something like 60 packets per minute.
With new LED lighting you can have a really stupid driver changing colors way too fast. with older machines you could put the device on its own USB bus.
Move some devices to USB 2 and some devices to usb 3. this may not work on newer machines that just use a usb3 and emulate usb2.
So I'm not sure what to do with this information. If by AIO you mean all in one? It's a custom built PC that I built in 2014. Intel i5 4590, asus z87-a, amd rx 580. It does have a light strip plugged in, but that's been there for ages, and it only started having that issue recently

what WIFI are you using?

Could be wrong because I put it in a while ago but I believe this is what I have https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Frequency-Expansion/dp/B00HF8K0O6
I thought I did uninstall AI suite when I went in and killed asus fan control. I went to where it was on the drive and deleted the whole folder. But it's possible I missed something.
I'm not sure if I have exitlag or not, but I have Game Boost from driver booster 7.1, though I don't generally use it. I may delete this app, along with iobit uninstaller completely if they cause issues I haven't been aware of. Not sure what you mean by Scarlet Crush. I use DS4 windows for playstation controllers. I dunno if I use G hub or not, I think I have the same software I had before when I first got my logitech g602

I once looked at a system that the GPU was sharing the same interrupt as the serial port.
they reported symptom was when i move my mouse fast my GPU bugchecks with a timeout.
turned out the person was swapping various GPU cards and booted windows but never went into bios and reset it to defaults.
each time he removed a card, windows would reserve its settings assuming the card had failed, then it detected the new card and tried to assign resources.
by the time I looked at it the GPU was sharing resources behind a mouse port. Things would work until you moved the mouse then the graphics had to wait until the mouse was done. Really bad for a game, and if you shake the mouse for 30 seconds the GPU driver would starve and window would call a bugcheck.
I'm not sure I followed this entirely.

TRENDING THREADS