[SOLVED] Windows 10 missing default gateway wifi issue

Jul 13, 2021
Hi - having an issue with my windows 10 PC (B550M pro-vdi wifi motherboard/network adapter) connecting over Wifi since a few days ago, before then it was working fine. My PC can still connect to my phone mobile hotspot, and every other device can connect just fine to the wifi, it's just my pc to the wifi that doesn't work. The troublershooter on windows either says it doesn't know what the problem is, or that the default gateway is missing.
I have tried removing/updating the wifi drivers, restarting the router, resetting the router to factory settings, opening the firewall, using only ipv4/ipv6, giving the network adapter max performance power settings, renewing ip/flushing dns, resetting winsock and possibly most importantly restoring the system to a time a week ago when the wifi did work properly, none of the above has done anything meaningful.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions - thank you!

Solution
What is strange is your device must actually be able to talk to the router.

So try IPCONFIG /release
Then look at the ipconfig and see if it has been cleared.

Now do IPCONFIG /renew

I am going to bet you now have a IP address/gateway etc.

What this means is your pc sends a message to the router asking for a IP and is send a response with the data. This is actually a much more complex communication than a simple ping command but it works.

Maybe try to turn off the firewall in your PC but generally ping always works.

It does not even make a lot of sense to be a hardware or driver thing. Communication between the pc and the router over wifi uses MAC addresses it does not really care about IP addresses. The concept of IP...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 10 version information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Make and model: modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes). Post the results.

Jul 13, 2021
Hardware: View: https://imgur.com/a/ciSMJBp

OS is Microsoft Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.19042 Build 19042. Apologies for not including this info to start with.
PSU is in good condition, new build from December and is still running very well at good temps all around (cpu/gpu)
Combined router/modem is a "virgin media hub 3" (included with wifi from a UK ISP)
relevant ipconfig section:
Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 34-7D-F6-FC-38-CA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dc3e:422c:1d09:20dd%17(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.15(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 13 July 2021 23:00:34
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 July 2021 23:00:33
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 137657846
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-75-88-FC-2C-F0-5D-82-B6-DB
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

If you need info from another section let me know, but all the others say "media disconnected" so I believe this is the one you are after. Thanks!

Is the machine functional at the time you did the IPCONFIG. This all looks fine. You can see the 192.168.0.1 gateway IP. Can you ping that IP. The wifi adapter has to be at least partially working, all the information in that screen was given to your PC from your router via DHCP. Depending on what time it is where you are that is a very recent update.

Jul 13, 2021
Hi bill001g - The machine was functioning normally apart from the fact that I did not have internet connectivity. When connected to my home wifi it either displays "connected, secured" or "no internet, secured" seemingly at random. I just tried pinging the gateway ip while connected to the wifi and each time I got request timed out/100% packet loss. And yeah it does seem like the wifi adapter is working - after all I can connect fine to my mobile hotspot on my phone, and before yesterday I was using it on the home wifi for several months with no issue. It made sense that it would be the adapter that has the problem as every other device is fine but resetting the adapter settings or doing a system restore hasn't changed anything so maybe my ISP has done something weird in the background that could be causing it? Seems very hard to tell. Fairly sure it's not the router as i've factory reset it a couple times now

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Sounds like a possible broken antenna wire in the pc case.
Have you added any new electronic devices to your environment lately?
Go here for your driver...
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30434?v=t
Looks like there are many releases of the driver and separate ones for Bluetooth (that may be why your hotspot works.)
I would recommend using the Intel analyzer to select the correct ones.
I’d also be concerned about compatibility re: UK provided ISP equipment and current drivers.

Last edited:
What is strange is your device must actually be able to talk to the router.

So try IPCONFIG /release
Then look at the ipconfig and see if it has been cleared.

Now do IPCONFIG /renew

I am going to bet you now have a IP address/gateway etc.

What this means is your pc sends a message to the router asking for a IP and is send a response with the data. This is actually a much more complex communication than a simple ping command but it works.

Maybe try to turn off the firewall in your PC but generally ping always works.

It does not even make a lot of sense to be a hardware or driver thing. Communication between the pc and the router over wifi uses MAC addresses it does not really care about IP addresses. The concept of IP addresses is more something the CPU chips in the router and the PC use. The wifi chips only use mac addresses.

What makes this even more strange is the wifi works connecting to other hotspots.

This has to be some stupid windows thing. What would happen if you just give up and change the SSID on your router to some new value so your PC now connect to a "new" network.

Solution
Jul 13, 2021
Fixed it! I totally forgot this even existed so it wasn't mentioned, but we have a weird plug socket thing in the wall that takes the place of a normal plug and acts as a sort of wifi spreader, to increase the signal on the next floor up from the router. I guess it was interfering somehow because once I found it and reset it (I don't actually know how to stop it other than totally unscrewing it) it now works just as it did before. Thanks for all the help everyone! defo a weird problem to try and solve