Windows 10 October Update May Wipe Files, Have Driver Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
We should demand as customers drivers for windows 7 and 8.1 (specially AMD APU's) on the hardware that is currently not "supported" for business reasons alone.

Europe folks would be a starting point.

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
I hear this all the time..."Forced Updates BAD!!"

I don't give a * about Jimmy or his relatives or any imaginary malicious software that Jimmy is indirectly foisting on them.

I give a <mod edit> about Windows breaking my computer when it performs an update that I didn't ask for and that I cannot prevent this.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hmm... from the article I read that it's those (like me) that do not use OneDrive for "synchronisation" that get problems?
And what could be "non standard" for the folders? You can't really move them around without changes in the registry, and these changes should be handled in the update.

Even if Group Policy is easy to find in Pro it doesn't mean the typical "Home" user is likely going to know what it does and if/when/how to use it properly.

USAFRet

Titan
Oct 5, 2018
Oh, great. I hope you realize that you just told me I have to go out and spend the $100 that was supposed to be the down payment on my starting to earn my pilot's license on a new external drive to perform a backup with, because the contents of my current rig consume more space than I have room in OneDrive...

USAFRet

Titan

Seeing as $100 is maybe 1 or 2% the price of a pilots license, how does that compare to the potential total loss of all your personal data?

And not just in the context of a Windows Update. You should always have a good backup routine.

Forcing a company to support older OSes is a bad idea. They will just move the additional costs along to the consumer.

As far as I can tell though there are still drivers for both 7 and 8.1. Just not XP and Vista. At some point people need to just move on. For some reason people don't seem to care that their phone is always pushed updates.

7 will end in 2020 though as that's when extended support is being planned to be killed off.

Oh and a business can still get updates for XP even. They just have to pay for the support. Drivers are another thing. You can't force a company to support a non-supported OS.

As said you can easily change the folder location for your user folders in File Explorer. I have been doing it since XP as I prefer to have them on a separate drive (used to be partition) so I can easily clean install Windows when I feel it needs it without having to backup and restore. Just re-change the folder location and I am done.

There is more than just GP for 10 Pro. It have Domain Join, Bitlocker, Remote Desktop and Device Guard. Pro is made mainly for businesses and power users while Home should fit the need of the mass majority although I think Bitlocker should be available in all versions as even home users could use a secure encryption method for portable devices and drives.

Oct 5, 2018

Simply put, that ~$10k average cost of a pilots license can be spread over many years, but the $100 deposit to get started towards a life goal that I've been putting off for way too long is more frustrating than having to consolidate some 20+ different drives my current backup exists on. But no, I'll put my dreams and life plans off a little longer just to consolidate it all onto a single drive... BTW, you read my comment wrong. I was basically stating that I intended to redo my backup because of this, but I wasn't happy about where the funds had to come from

Life is a series of choices. Sometimes you have to take the money you want for a dream or hobby and put it somewhere more important.

I really would like to build a new PC as I love doing it but the money I have needs to stay where it is or go to other more important things.

The thing is you can always get that pilots license. You can't replace something digital once the drive fails with no backup.

USAFRet

Titan

If you currently have "20+ different drives" for your backups, redoing that should cost you $0.
You can almost certainly consolidate that into a subset of those existing drives.

stdragon

Admirable
So, the days of the Windows Service Pack are long gone. Windows 10 is now the equivalent of Apple OSX in that it's perpetually in version 10, but with newer builds aside from the normal updates.

With Windows 10 Pro, you have more control of the Windows Update process. With Home Edition, they get shoved down the pipe and the dice is rolled. IMHO, Microsoft should at least notify users that an update is available, and to schedule time to install. Or if desired, declined. As for the newer build of Windows, that should be OPTIONAL, and not deemed a critical Security Update.

More to the point, the idea of Service Channels (like simi-annual vs LTSB) is stupid! Windows is NOT a service, yet that's explicitly what MS thinks. Windows OS is no longer a platform but rather a fluid core application that updates no differently than your average web browser. This is very short-sighted. Making any platform changes is guaranteed to cause unintended consequences. Fundamentally, the OS should be the most conservative piece of software. The attitude of a "perpetual beta" is and has proven to be both dangerous and reckless!

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for the warning on this. I know Microsoft is bad at testing and quality control these days, but I would not have expected them to purge user documents that aren't synced with OneDrive. I don't use OneDrive so this means it's a good time to check my backup solution. I find it infuriating that Microsoft would so blindly expect users to have the same configuration Microsoft employees have.

USAFRet

Titan

I don't use OneDrive at all, and on none of my systems have any docs been moved or deleted or otherwise unavailable.

Oct 5, 2018

I think I left out the "thumb" part of that statement. Either way, I just got off shift, and promptly afterwords I picked up a pair of identical 1 TB external drives to serve as complete, redundant backups (something else I've been putting off for far too long). Been thinking of calling 'em Mustang and Sally, not just as a CoD Zombies reference but also because that way my redundant backup drives would share initials with the name of the company that keeps pushing these buggy updates without any real way of controlling if/when they install...

USAFRet

Titan

OK, good. Using multiple thumb drives as your backup routine is a recipe for disaster.

With your new drives, you could use a cut down version of this backup procedure:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to Tom's Hardware that Microsoft is "aware of these reports and actively investigating."

Riiiiiiiiiight! Sure.. I wouldn't be surprised if this was someone's idea (@ Microsoft) to "subtly" encourage you to use OneDrive

Yeah, I know... it's an extreme view that the largest hole in it is that not everyone has felt the upgrade bite them.

This is from the linked article:

The issue appears to be related to some interaction with OneDrive, though the affected users denied implementing Known Folders to move their documents, and their documents appear to be lost instead of being backed up to OneDrive.

It appears if you have done anything non-standard with OneDrive or your My Documents folder it may place your files at risk, and it would be a good idea to have a full backup of your documents before installing the update.

I doubt it mainly as it seems to affect those that are using certain OneDrive features or non-standard setup for their user folders.

Dennis Tokarzewski

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Forced security updates, fine. Forced, or even unauthorized, feature updates - BAD. Everyone should be backing up? Certainly, but I back up at 1pm everyday - so if MS updates at noon? BAD. I own this computer, I should have full control of it ... period.