Windows 10 on a new Motherbaord

Tomonoku

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
I'm currently using Windows 8.1 on my computer, I believe it's an OEM version since I'm using a pre built PC. I recently bought a new motherboard and cpu and wanted to re use my old hard drive. I know I can't use the same OS on the motherboard, but I was wondering if I purchased and downloaded a digital copy of Windows 10 could I just replace my current OS with Windows 10, and then use the hard drive on the new motherboard when I put it in. Would it allow me to reactivate it on the new motherboard? I'd buy a disc version but I'm very far from any stores and I feel like a digital download would be my best option. I also do not have an empty dvd disc, or USB to put the copy of windows on. Sorry if this question is confusing.

Solution

Buy WIn 10, and it will come on either a DVD or USB.
Or, buy the download version, and use the...

USAFRet

Titan
You're going about it all wrong.
With new hardware, there are two considerations, Operation and Licensing.

Operation
Swapping to a new motherboard, a clean install is highly recommended. Sometimes required.

Licensing
With Win 10, you can move that license to new hardware. But it would still probably require a fresh install, as noted above.

Your best way forward?
Buy Win 10, and do a clean install with the new hardware.
Bite the bullet and prepare for this.

Tomonoku

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015

So will I need to put the copy of windows on a usb or something to do a clean install? Sorry I'm just a little confused to how all of this works!

USAFRet

Titan

Buy WIn 10, and it will come on either a DVD or USB.
Or, buy the download version, and use the MediaCreation tool to make your own DVD or USB.

Solution