Windows 10 RAM Upgrade Question?

Raven Ocara

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Right now I have Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium installed onto my gaming computer. I know that Windows 7 Home Premium will only take up a max of 16GB of RAM on a PC though. I really don't see the point in upgrading to Professional or Ultimate Edition just to increase my RAM when Windows 10 will be a free OS upgrade when it is released. So can Windows 10 64-bit edition handle as much RAM as possible to put in unlike 7 Home Premium?

My M/O can handle a max of 32GB. Why I want that much even though I currently have 16GB installed is because I heavily edit videos and that RAM is very useful when wanting to render out a scene in After Effects.

Solution

Fair point, but what I'm trying to say is that in terms of mainstream users that are going to be using Windows 10, there really is no need to continue producing a 32 bit version any longer. If you are still using a machine with a CPU that has no 64 bit support, it's time for a new system. Trying to make a 10-15 year old computer run a brand new OS is a waste of time. It's going to be super slow, and super frustrating no matter what you do.

And if you're worrying about spending money for new hardware (doesn't...

TNT27

Distinguished
they probably will allow 32gigs, but most likely will have same kind of os tiers like professional, and ultimate edition that cost extra. You might get a free upgrade to same tier os of windows 10.

This all my assumption though.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and Ultimate 64 bit will handle up to 192 gb of ram but most hardware will only goto 16 GB of ram. The heavy duty gaming systems can max at 32 gb.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I still have a few PC's still running the 32 bit system but my newest system is 64 bit. I think unless folks are testing out the 64 bit systems out and still have 32 bit systems running there really is no reason not to go for 64 bit systems these days.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Yes 64 bit processors have been around since around 2000. AMD was the first then Intel followed. 64 bit XP didn't come out until 2005 and wasn't a big success. Really Vista was the first MS OS that was released in a 32 bit and 64 bit from the start.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Off topic of the OP's question but x64 procs have been around for around 35 years. NT4 and Windows 2000 both supported DEC Alpha cpus which were 64-bit but saw limited use outside univeristies and big businesses. Windows XP 64-bit edition (2002) was realistically the first workstation/desktop OS from Microsoft that had a true x64 architecture and supported 128gb memory addressing.

With regard to the legacy of 32-bit only cpus, there are still a heck of a lot still in use around the world so 32-bit os types will still be needed in some form for quite some time, not neccesarily from Microsoft of course.

Fair point, but what I'm trying to say is that in terms of mainstream users that are going to be using Windows 10, there really is no need to continue producing a 32 bit version any longer. If you are still using a machine with a CPU that has no 64 bit support, it's time for a new system. Trying to make a 10-15 year old computer run a brand new OS is a waste of time. It's going to be super slow, and super frustrating no matter what you do.

And if you're worrying about spending money for new hardware (doesn't have to be anything super fancy... budget systems can be had for a few hundred dollars now), a new computer is probably the least of your worries.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

The only reason is for software that is WIN16. My company has some software they are dependent on that is still 16 bit. Not many but maybe 10 out of 3000 pc's.