Question Windows 10 random BSOD on startup, tried everything.

Jun 19, 2019
So this is my first custom build, and I've been struggling with the BSOD since I installed windows. Before getting into the errors and the fixes that I tried, you can find below a drive sharing link for some of the dump files, a report generated by WhoCrashed and a detailed report of the specs.

What I'm sure of is that the BSOD occurs on startup only, and never happens when I'm using the pc. However, it doesn't happen on EVERY startup, but a rough estimation will be, 80% of the times that I launch my pc, it welcomes me with a BSOD, and sometimes it restarts and starts normally and in other times it shows another BSOD and starts on the third time. Also, in some cases, it collects data and generates the dump file and in other cases it gets stuck on 0% and I have to force it to shutdown manually and start it again.

What I tried so far:
  • Updated all the drivers.
  • Installed windows again (I kept my apps and files though)
  • Ran chkdsk on the C: (ssd) and the D: (hdd) partitions
  • Ran sfc /scannow
  • Removed the HDD and started it only with the SSD.
  • Ran Memtest86, no errors.
  • disabled fast boot.
  • Updated the BIOS to the most recent and stable version.
None of the above worked or indicated an error, I've been troubleshooting it for the last 3 months and I'm running out of options, so any help will be appreciated.

Drive link for the files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EiXBbm3uL7VYYAqN_ND_-d4ke_AGLvAZ?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
Kernel Security Check Failure - ntoskrnl as usual**
System Thread Exception not handled M - ntoskrnl
Kmode exception not handled - ntoskrnl
System Thread Exception not handled M - fltmgr.sys
Memory Management - Hardware.sys

**Ntoskrnl = Windows Kernel, it might have been what crashed but it wouldn't have done it without a driver telling it to do something it shouldn't. (who crashed seems to blame it for everything)
fltmgr.sys = filter manager
the last error could be misleading, it might be a driver still to blame.

Asus TUF Z370 Plus Gaming
Intel I5 8600K @ 3.6ghz
16gb ram - Corsair CMR16GX4M2A2666C16
Asus ROG GTX 2070 Gaming
WD 2tb hdd
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
HWINFO is good but it can't tell us what PSU you have :)

I have sent a link to a friend to get him to convert dump files -I assume thats what is in zip file?

Try turning off Fast startup as well - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Jun 19, 2019
Kernel Security Check Failure - ntoskrnl as usual**
System Thread Exception not handled M - ntoskrnl
Kmode exception not handled - ntoskrnl
System Thread Exception not handled M - fltmgr.sys
Memory Management - Hardware.sys

**Ntoskrnl = Windows Kernel, it might have been what crashed but it wouldn't have done it without a driver telling it to do something it shouldn't. (who crashed seems to blame it for everything)
fltmgr.sys = filter manager
the last error could be misleading, it might be a driver still to blame.

Asus TUF Z370 Plus Gaming
Intel I5 8600K @ 3.6ghz
16gb ram - Corsair CMR16GX4M2A2666C16
Asus ROG GTX 2070 Gaming
WD 2tb hdd
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
HWINFO is good but it can't tell us what PSU you have :)

I have sent a link to a friend to get him to convert dump files -I assume thats what is in zip file?

Try turning off Fast startup as well - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
Any idea how to find the specific driver that may be crashing?

Sorry about that, my psu, is a cooler master MWE 650w gold.
And yes, the zip file contains the dump files.
Okay, I'll try turning off the fast startup when I go home after work, but as I mentioned, it's kinda random, so I'll have to start it multiple times after trying a fix, to confirm that the BSOD is gone for good.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Any idea how to find the specific driver that may be crashing?

Sorry about that, my psu, is a cooler master MWE 650w gold.
And yes, the zip file contains the dump files.
Okay, I'll try turning off the fast startup when I go home after work, but as I mentioned, it's kinda random, so I'll have to start it multiple times after trying a fix, to confirm that the BSOD is gone for good.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.
The dump files will identify all of the modules loaded at the time of the crash in each dump file, it's then just a case at identifying potential abnormalities with them. Or it could equally be hardware to blame.

I would help debug, but Gardenman (Colif's friend mentioned) will be significantly more effective and faster at debugging all of these in 1 go. So we can see the results when they are posted.

Does the BSOD ever occur when you attempt to boot into safe mode?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fast startup is just a work around, hopefully we identify actual cause.

safe mode is a good idea
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
that restarts PC in advanced startup repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

any BSOD in this startup? If the cause is drivers, it shouldn't happen

Jun 19, 2019
The dump files will identify all of the modules loaded at the time of the crash in each dump file, it's then just a case at identifying potential abnormalities with them. Or it could equally be hardware to blame.

I would help debug, but Gardenman (Colif's friend mentioned) will be significantly more effective and faster at debugging all of these in 1 go. So we can see the results when they are posted.

Does the BSOD ever occur when you attempt to boot into safe mode?
The MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error made me suspect that it may be caused by the RAM, but memtest86 found no errors. Plus it only occurs on startup, which makes me now doubt that it's caused by hardware.
Okay then, I'll wait for his debugging results.
I only booted into safe mode 2 or 3 times, and the BSOD didn't occur, but as I said before, that doesn't confirm anything, because it's random and it doesn't occur every time. But if this will help to debug the error, I can try to boot into safe mode 10 times or so to make sure that the BSOD doesn't occur.
Thanks for the reply.

Jun 19, 2019
Fast startup is just a work around, hopefully we identify actual cause.

safe mode is a good idea
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
that restarts PC in advanced startup repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

any BSOD in this startup? If the cause is drivers, it shouldn't happen
As I said to @PC Tailor , I'll need to do that few times so I can confirm the results. I'll make sure I do both of your suggestions when I get home.

Reactions: PC Tailor

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/WeKE.html
File information:061719-7515-01.dmp (Jun 17 2019 - 17:26:09)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for WdFilter.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

File information:061419-7328-01.dmp (Jun 14 2019 - 15:46:54)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 00 Sec(s)

File information:061319-6500-01.dmp (Jun 13 2019 - 03:02:10)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:061219-6937-01.dmp (Jun 12 2019 - 17:40:49)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: NVIDIA Share.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:061219-6562-01.dmp (Jun 12 2019 - 17:04:18)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:061019-6750-01.dmp (Jun 10 2019 - 13:11:52)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File information:060919-6421-01.dmp (Jun 9 2019 - 04:51:31)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: AdAppMgrSvc.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:060419-7765-01.dmp (Jun 4 2019 - 10:01:16)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 28 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:060319-6500-01.dmp (Jun 3 2019 - 14:04:38)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

The following dump files were 0 bytes long which means they are invalid:
061919-7000-01.dmp
061219-6734-01.dmp
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-Z370-PLUS-GAMING/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 1802. The latest is version 2001. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can tell you recently updated BIOS. Just wondering why you chose version 1802?

How many passes did you run memtest86 for? And did you do it on each RAM stick one at a time by removing the other and testing it in the first slot?

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah the good ole Scarlett Crush driver. This is a common cause of various BSOD - whether it is related to your problem or not is yet to be seen, but it is known to cause issues. So it may be worth removing this.

As Gardenman has stated, you'll probably want to update BIOS to latest version as this should also match your intel management engine.

I know Colif will add some more info too, but I will also await your results from the safe mode tests, because if it still occurs in safe mode, then looking at third party modules may be redundant.

Reactions: AyoubKh
Jun 19, 2019
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/WeKE.html
File information:061719-7515-01.dmp (Jun 17 2019 - 17:26:09)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for WdFilter.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

File information:061419-7328-01.dmp (Jun 14 2019 - 15:46:54)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 00 Sec(s)

File information:061319-6500-01.dmp (Jun 13 2019 - 03:02:10)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:061219-6937-01.dmp (Jun 12 2019 - 17:40:49)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: NVIDIA Share.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:061219-6562-01.dmp (Jun 12 2019 - 17:04:18)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:061019-6750-01.dmp (Jun 10 2019 - 13:11:52)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File information:060919-6421-01.dmp (Jun 9 2019 - 04:51:31)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: AdAppMgrSvc.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:060419-7765-01.dmp (Jun 4 2019 - 10:01:16)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 28 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:060319-6500-01.dmp (Jun 3 2019 - 14:04:38)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

The following dump files were 0 bytes long which means they are invalid:
061919-7000-01.dmp
061219-6734-01.dmp
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-Z370-PLUS-GAMING/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 1802. The latest is version 2001. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can tell you recently updated BIOS. Just wondering why you chose version 1802?

How many passes did you run memtest86 for? And did you do it on each RAM stick one at a time by removing the other and testing it in the first slot?

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.
Honestly, that version was included as the one with improved stability In the other hand, the newer updates included features that seemed unrelated to my issue and required additional drivers update for compatibility.

I run memtest86 for 3 passes, and no, I tested both of my RAM sticks on dual channel. I was planning to test them individually if any error occurred, but there was no errors in the three tests.

Thank you for your time @gardenman

Jun 19, 2019
Ah the good ole Scarlett Crush driver. This is a common cause of various BSOD - whether it is related to your problem or not is yet to be seen, but it is known to cause issues. So it may be worth removing this.

As Gardenman has stated, you'll probably want to update BIOS to latest version as this should also match your intel management engine.

I know Colif will add some more info too, but I will also await your results from the safe mode tests, because if it still occurs in safe mode, then looking at third party modules may be redundant.
Okay so here's what I did:
  • Disabled fast startup and started my pc couple of times, it showed a BSOD on the fourth time or so. So fast startup is not the issue.
  • Started my pc in safe mode 4 times with no BSOD, which doesn't confirm anything. And that's what's so annoying about these random BSODs, you can't confirm anything unless the error occurs.

So what should I do next? Update my BIOS to the latest version or wait for more info?

Jun 19, 2019
In safe mode, no 3rd party drivers are loaded. That's why your screen may look funny in safe mode; the video driver isn't being loaded.

This could mean your problem is a 3rd party driver. Did you disable or uninstall the one mentioned by PC Tailor?

Colif may reply later with more ideas.
I understand that if the BSOD didn't occur in safe mode, it proves that the cause is a third party driver, but I can't see how it determines which one.
As for the driver mentioned by @PC Tailor, can you give me a link or something to follow to how I can uninstall it?
Thanks in advance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
One error mentions Nvidia so I would run DDU and instead of using latest drivers from Nvidia, try running windows update and let it find drivers for card.

its possible the version of Intel Management Engine Interface installed actually matches the newer BIOS you don't have installed
Your versions driver date is 4/4/19, The newest version of IMEI on motherboard website is also dated the same day.

Reactions: AyoubKh
Jun 19, 2019
One error mentions Nvidia so I would run DDU and instead of using latest drivers from Nvidia, try running windows update and let it find drivers for card.

its possible the version of Intel Management Engine Interface installed actually matches the newer BIOS you don't have installed
Your versions driver date is 4/4/19, The newest version of IMEI on motherboard website is also dated the same day.
So I just tried uninstalling the display driver using the DDU and reinstalling it. Unfortunately, windows update couldn't find the driver so I had to download it from Nvidia's website. I started my PC a few times and the BSOD occurred on the third time.
Should I think of updating my BIOS to the latest version? And what about driver verifier, any idea if that could help identify the issue?

TRENDING THREADS