[SOLVED] Windows 10 random reboot playing certain games

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Hello,
my pc automatically reboot when i play Final Fantasy XV (after 5/10 minutes) and MapleStory 2 (even in menu), but not with other games like Resident Evil 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Gears 5 etc, here are all fine. No bluescreen, only kernel error 41 in Event Logger.
I've already reinstalled Windows 10, installed latest NVIDIA Driver with DDU.
I have tested for 20 minutes with: FurMark, ICCT, Prime95 and Aida64. Ram with MemTest86 (only 2 pass, should be fine or i need to complete all pass?). No errors, crash, reboot or others problems. Temperatures are fine.

What could be the problem?
Thanks in advance for the help

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
RTX 2070 Super
HyperX Predator 16GB 2x8 3200MHz
Corsair CS650M
Crucial MX500 1TB and Crucial MX500 250GB
HDD WD 1TB

Lutfij

Titan
See what 4 passes on Memtest86 gives you. On another note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Also, we're currently on 1909 for Windows 10, are you on the same version?

You should not be running a PSU like that for a system like that, provided you put CS in the PSU field and it's not a CX unit.

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
See what 4 passes on Memtest86 gives you. On another note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Also, we're currently on 1909 for Windows 10, are you on the same version?

You should not be running a PSU like that for a system like that, provided you put CS in the PSU field and it's not a CX unit.

I have updated the bios to 5.80, the latest is version is 6.00 but in notes i see that "ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system. ".

Yes, i have the latest version of Windows 10 (Windows 10 Home N, 1909, Build 18363.476). For the PSU, the CS650M is not enough? I have used for latest 2 years, and from August with a 2070 Super without any problem.

(is this)
psu2.jpg

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
I have already the latest patch (steam version), also doesn't appear any bsod, only black screen and reboot. Same for MapleStory 2 but with a difference, i only stay in the menu with "Play" button and i get anyway the black screen (usage of this game: CPU 2%, RAM 2GB, GPU 15%). But if i run others games like Red Dead, Resident Evil 2, etc, all are fine. Same for the stress test.

See that the psu comes with two pcie cables with each again two connectors. try and use both cables,not just two connectors from one. Use the first connector from each cable.
I already use two PCIe cable for the GPU.

Anyway, if is a PSU issues, what is the best stress software for check it? I don't think is this the problem, but for sure i want check. Also, i've completed a test with MemTest86 and all are fine.
memtest.jpg
I have even removed all drive, and installed Windows 10 on a new SSD, but the problem persist.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I already use two PCIe cable for the GPU.
Sure two cables? Not just two connectors. can post a picture,

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Anyway, if is a PSU issues, what is the best stress software for check it? I don't think is this the problem, but for sure i want check.
Just stresstest both cpu as well as gpu at the same time, Like with the timespy software from 3DMark or OCCT which can stresstest both at the same time too as i recall.

for some monitoring,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run".

Reactions: Kiryu

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Sure two cables? Not just two connectors. can post a picture,

Just stresstest both cpu as well as gpu at the same time, Like with the timespy software from 3DMark or OCCT which can stresstest both at the same time too as i recall.

for some monitoring,

Yes, not two connector but two PCIe cable.
j9VMebH.jpg

zzYI0tH.jpg
Now i test for 30 minutes with 3DMark and post the result when is done

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
@Vic 40 I've used Aida64 Extreme instead 3DMark because trial limitation, but i've tested yesterday with Heaven Benchmark and all are fine. In Aida64 i have enabled "Stress CPU, stress cache, stress system memory and Stress GPU" This is the result:

Aida64
HofHy6e.jpg
MJfA4kG.jpg

Hwinfo
LwkhW0r.jpg
RFLNmX1.jpg
RFLNmX1.jpg
T2Mr7cs.jpg
m9APGZN.jpg
F4NvUQQ.jpg
tgZ8Hp0.jpg

EDIT: I've tried to play MapleStory 2 while logging function of Hwinfo. This is the file, i don't know if is useful (only 3 minutes and black screen again). Also, this the complete error log from event logger
- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>6</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-08T20:42:31.462625500Z" />

<EventRecordID>5737</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-KREG7DG</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>

<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Find only one odd thing in that hwinfo file which is the 3VSB having a bigger than 5% deviation (Atx values=deviation for voltages like that are +/- 5%). Odd thing is that with 5VSB it is a "standby voltage", but i haven't heard of a 3.3V stand by voltage.

Only other thing i can think of that the problem is drivers or the games themselves. maybe not the newest,but older drivers migth work,something a few months old.

Will ask someone else as well about that voltage.

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Find only one odd thing in that hwinfo file which is the 3VSB having a bigger than 5% deviation (Atx values=deviation for voltages like that are +/- 5%). Odd thing is that with 5VSB it is a "standby voltage", but i haven't heard of a 3.3V stand by voltage.

Only other thing i can think of that the problem is drivers or the games themselves. maybe not the newest,but older drivers migth work,something a few months old.

Will ask someone else as well about that voltage.
Today i've tested with a different psu and a different gpu card. The issues persist, now remain CPU, MB and RAM. For the ram, i've tested 3/4 hours with MemTest86, 0 errors.

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Okay Just to see what happens starting these 2 games. Go to your device manager, sound , click to open the box and just temporarily disable sound device. Than try booting up games see if computer crashes and restarts.
Same, freeze and force reboot.

I try to buy a new motherboard, which i choose? "MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max", "MSI X470 Gaming Plus" or "ASRock X470 Master SLI". For the moment i use a Ryzen 5 1600, but in future probably i upgrade to a 3600

I do have a few games that have worked just fine and windows updates had missed them up, this was the fix for some older games. Do a system restore point first, than try this.

Yes it's a head scratcher but new versions of dx removes a few files some OLDER GAMES need to work.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

Solution

Kiryu

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Now i try, but yesterday i've tried to use a older version of Windows (1803 October 2018) and i have blocked all update, same issues. Also, today even Red Dead Redemption 2 is crashed, freeze and force reboot. Only kernel 41 error in event logger and no dump. Even two time randomically while i use only the browser. And now, i have even a another problem. Certain times after a freeze and force reboot, the OS doesn't start, even the logo of my motherboard doesn't appear. I need to shutdown the PC and boot again, there is why i think my motherboard is dying.

EDIT: I have bought a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max, what is the difference with the Tomahawk?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS