[SOLVED] Windows 10 reinstall stuck at 64%

Sep 19, 2019
Hello, so the recent Windows 10 update corrupted something in my operating system, which prevented it from booting into anything but safe mode without networking. As troubleshooting steps such as "sfc /scannow" in the command prompt did find corrupted files, it was unable to fix them.

I went into the repair menu, and started a reinstall of windows (keeping all my files) from there. It's now been around 20 hours since it started, and probably around 10 since it got to 64%. It hasn't restarted or given me any error message either. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jacob.

Solution
1. you can fix files SFC can't by running another command, a fresh install isn't necessary and recently I have found that the 2nd command needs help to finish and often shows the underlying image is corrupted meaning any resets run off it may not work...

and

2. Since that is history now, you can maybe save some of you data before reinstalling win 10
How to do it without moving hdd -

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

save data -
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file...
Both Reset and Refresh have been known to kill all your personal files even if they say they won't. Nothing is going on after twenty hours so pull the plug, withdraw the hard disk and slave it to another machine vis USB. You may be able to rescue your data and run chkdsk x: /r where x is the drive letter the machine allocated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. you can fix files SFC can't by running another command, a fresh install isn't necessary and recently I have found that the 2nd command needs help to finish and often shows the underlying image is corrupted meaning any resets run off it may not work...

and

2. Since that is history now, you can maybe save some of you data before reinstalling win 10
How to do it without moving hdd -

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

save data -
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Fresh install
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution