Question Windows 10 Search Bar opens files instead of going to file location

Jun 3, 2021
I recently built a new computer and installed Windows like normal, but my file explorer has changed in a slight way that has become more of a burden than I'd like
I normally use the top right "type here to search" search bar to find files for editing & click the file that I need from the drop down menu, taking me to where the file is exactly, so I can drag and drop it into premiere. But since this fresh install, clicking on the file automatically opens the file in Movies, or Groove Music, or whatever I'm using.

I've recently found out that right clicking and pressing "go to file location" exists, but is there a way I can revert it back to how it used to be. I've been doing this exact form of searching for over a decade now and it's become extremely time consuming to try and do it via other ways.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since this is a clean install, mind sharing what version you're on for your installation of Windows 10? I've always used the search function to find files as well but I've never experienced it prior to today when trying it out. So long as the content is not highlighted, it will not open up courtesy of your OS(be it the OS'es players or image viewer). When it's not highlighted, hit enter and the files will show up as a list in search items, in a new window ofc.

thompsonjim0000

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
We are experiencing the same problem on a friends computer. I am posting for him; I am a Linux user and am not current with Microsoft.
We were both not aware there are "versions" of Win10. We suspected that when we went to youtube looking for a solution to anther problem (separate thread). Your question confirms our suspicion.
How does a user find the version of Win10 please?

Jim.

We are experiencing the same problem on a friends computer. I am posting for him; I am a Linux user and am not current with Microsoft.
We were both not aware there are "versions" of Win10. We suspected that when we went to youtube looking for a solution to anther problem (separate thread). Your question confirms our suspicion.
How does a user find the version of Win10 please?

Jim.
In the search box type.....winver.

Ralston18

Titan
When the searched files are found and listed right click the file to see the available options.

A single left click to select the file then the right click.

An initial double click will open the file with the applicable app.

Which is also end user controllable via Windows Default apps screen settings.

"Chose default apps by file type".

"WIN " + "I" > Apps > Default Apps (You may need to scroll down the Default Apps window to see the available options.)

TRENDING THREADS