Windows 10 stuck in boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgillam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Hi,
I have a Windows 10 computer, but whenever I try to turn it on. It just gets stuck on the windows logo.
I have tried a recovery USB, but it hangs as well on the windows logo.
When I tried doing an automatic repair, it also hung on the windows logo with Preparing Automatic Repair for hours.
I am doing this for my friend, and he doesn't want to loose his inportant files (yes, i know, he should have backed them up :no:).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Solution
Connect the drive to another system and copy anything your friend needs. Wipe the drive and reinstall (preferably Windows 7 or 8(.1), whichever they were using before installing 10). This is why they call is beta code. This is also what can happen when you use said beta code in a production environment. Please advise your friend that the ONLY time a beta copy of an OS should be used in a production environment when dealing with personal systems (anything he/she considers important, or "can't lose"), is if the data you absolutely must keep is backed up in AT LEAST one other place, *and* you can afford the downtime if anything goes wrong. They have no one to blame but themselves (not even Microsoft).
Connect the drive to another system and copy anything your friend needs. Wipe the drive and reinstall (preferably Windows 7 or 8(.1), whichever they were using before installing 10). This is why they call is beta code. This is also what can happen when you use said beta code in a production environment. Please advise your friend that the ONLY time a beta copy of an OS should be used in a production environment when dealing with personal systems (anything he/she considers important, or "can't lose"), is if the data you absolutely must keep is backed up in AT LEAST one other place, *and* you can afford the downtime if anything goes wrong. They have no one to blame but themselves (not even Microsoft).

Solution

kgillam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

I have tried to do that, but the HDD, makes weird clicking noises and won't let me copy the files, it gives an error message that the device is not plugged in properly and make sure that it is properly plugged in.

(UPDATE: Just succeded in copying the files, after 5 failed attempts)

Yikes. If it's making clicking noises when trying to read data, it's probably going to fail soon. Probably best to get a new drive to replace that one. If your friend can't afford the purchase right now, advise them that they can try to use the existing one, with the understanding that no important data is stored on it (unless they back everything up VERY consistently, and are ok with the drive potentially failing completely at any time).

Status
Not open for further replies.