[SOLVED] Windows 10 stuck in troubleshoot

Oct 7, 2018
Hello. My Windows 10 self-built PC has been working like a charm the past 2-3 years, but last night it encountered an error I first did not take notice of. When I tried to shut it down for the night, it refused to turn off and went to the "log in home screen" instead. I tried to turn it off several times but the issue repeated, so I hit "restart" once and "turn off" one more time, and then it finally did so. I did not think any more of this matter and when to bed. Today, coming home from work, I booted my PC and it went straight into Choose an option, without the option to Continue: Exit and continue to Windows 10.

choose-an-option.jpg

I do not know if this is relevant but I will state my PC's components.
- Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake processor
- ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL OC 8GB
- ASUS Prime Z270-A, Socket-1151
- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB ( C: )
- HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD ( D: )
- Corsair RM650i, 650W PSU

Anyway, back on topic. So something is clearly wrong, and after 6+ hours of googling and countless failed tutorials I feel tom's hardware is my last hope. As the picture above show I have no option than try troubleshoot, and it gives me the following options.

Startup Repair
When I try this my PC is diagnosed and attempted repaired over a 5 second period, before telling me Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC leaving me no choice than going back to Advanced options.

Uninstall Updates
I tried to uninstall both lastest quality update and feature update but both failed and simply say We ran into a problem and won't be able to uninstall...". It recommended to try reset the PC.

System Restore
When I hit System Restore I get an error pop up window telling me To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select and operating system, and then select System Restore. When I restart the computer I have no option to select any operating system. When I boot the PC, hit F8 to enter boot selection and choose the SSD with Windows on it, it just sends me back to the Troubleshooting/Turn off page (picture above).

System Image Recovery
If I try this I get a pop up window telling me Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. Attach the packup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click Retry. Alternatively, close this dialog for more options. I am familiar with installing software on an USB, but is that possible in this situation?

UEFI Firmware Settings
I have no experience with this and not tried any solution regarding operating within UEFI.

Command Prompt
In cmd I have no idea what I'm doing: I'm simply following tutorials I find. Still my "Enter results" are different from the videos, so I have no idea what is wrong or not.

So everything I have tried so far has failed, and now I don't know that to do. As I mentioned earlier, is it possible to just "download Windows 10" on a USB, stick it in and try System Image Recovery?
Hope someone is able to help me.

Best regards.

Solution
I was able to sort the issue.
I updated BIOS, set it to default and when I tried to boot it afterwords everything worked fine regarding installation.

amanpandey25306

Commendable
Aug 17, 2017
Have you tried startup settings ?

Try this click on Startup settings on the same page where you found cmd or startup repair etc. then click restart the once it turns on click the key it says to boot in safe more mostly it says 4 or F4.

For just info have got a bluescreen aleast at once with some error message and stop code?

Oct 7, 2018
amanpandey: Unfortunately the only options I have is literally what I wrote in the opening post. I recorded a video to visualize.

rgd1101: I've tried to force shut it off to activate automatic repair and tried to repeatedly press Esc on start up to active safe mode but nothing happens. Do you have any other suggestion on going into safe mode?

Here is screenshot from BIOS if that helps.
20190910-221912.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018
I decided to reinstall Windows. After I got the Media Creation Tool to an USB I put it in my stationary, changed the boot priority to the USB and restarted. But now it says I'm missing a driver file \windows\System32\drivers\nvraid.sys

How do I fix this? Is it possible to simply download the missing file, insert it amongst the files on the USB and try to reboot?

20190911-004652.jpg

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Build is 2 - 3 years old...

Has there been any housecleaning or maintenance inside the case?

From the BIOS screenshot it appears that the CPU fan is at 100% and the temperature is at least 100 C.

Maybe a cleaning and new thermal paste.

And the PSU may be degrading and having problems supporting the current components.

Reactions: Flavour
Sep 11, 2019
Build is 2 - 3 years old...

Has there been any housecleaning or maintenance inside the case?

From the BIOS screenshot it appears that the CPU fan is at 100% and the temperature is at least 100 C.

Maybe a cleaning and new thermal paste.

And the PSU may be degrading and having problems supporting the current components.
It shows his fan is running at 900 rpm, which i doubt is 100%, and his cpu temp is 29°. Poor feller, his problem isnt the damn cooling here its windows mate. What you're looking at is the ez tuner of strix motherboards.

Oct 7, 2018
I was able to sort the issue.
I updated BIOS, set it to default and when I tried to boot it afterwords everything worked fine regarding installation.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS