[SOLVED] Windows 10 stuck on Personalized Settings/black screen after repair upgrade

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all.

For the past couple of months I’ve been dealing with a half-broken Windows 10 install. Native Apps and Windows Store stopped working suddenly, and other issues.

I just recently tried a repair upgrade after a couple troubleshooting options and ended up getting a black screen on logon with a freezing Windows Explorer and “Personalized Settings” window. I cannot launch Task Manager in this state either. For whatever reason, WinExplorer even freezes in Safe Mode. I have to use Command Prompt (Safe Mode) to get most things open.

Does anyone have an idea what this is caused by and how to fix it?

Solution
I'm probably the wrong person to ask about backup software. I use File history combined with regular cloning; both require setup prior to any problem. Saying that if you can get File History to work, it will save most of your personal files. Otherwise you can use a command prompt and notepad to also save personal files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6?auth=1

I'm sure a more software savvy poster with chime in with better backup solutions. Since this is such a vital subject, maybe the moderators will create a guide on backing up data, or if it already exists, better instructions on how to find it :)

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Not quite sure what a repair upgrade is; if you upgraded in order to repair a corrupt system, it likely will remain corrupt. It sounds like your Windows install is broken and in need of a clean install. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
This would be a repair upgrade.

I really hope I don’t have to do a clean install. That’s going to be a headache. I’ll have to backup/restore a very large amount of data and reinstall quite a few programs. If that’s the case.. well, crap. I really hate Windows 10 sometimes.

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
That's a new one on me; pretty much a reset using the most current version of windows. Regardless, like a reset , it doesn't solve many problems, and/or can create it's own. Prepare to continue to hate Windows 10..
Yup... ☹
Well in that case.... I'll need to back up all of my stuff for restoration... what program do you recommend for this?
Also, I have to backup saved data from some of the programs I have installed. How would I do this as well?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about backup software. I use File history combined with regular cloning; both require setup prior to any problem. Saying that if you can get File History to work, it will save most of your personal files. Otherwise you can use a command prompt and notepad to also save personal files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6?auth=1

I'm sure a more software savvy poster with chime in with better backup solutions. Since this is such a vital subject, maybe the moderators will create a guide on backing up data, or if it already exists, better instructions on how to find it :)

Last edited:
Solution

heweaver

Reputable
Dec 4, 2019
It could be anything causing your issues, including a failing hard drive... but if that is not the issue, what I usually do in some such cases...if you boot from a windows 10 USB drive (you can make one for free from Microsoft using the Media Creation Tool, google it if not familiar) and you tell it to do a CUSTOM install (your only option when booting from the drive, as the other option UPGRADE is not available) and install to the same drive and partition that your existing Windows is located (do not FORMAT or ERASE, just select it), it actually will not erase or destroy any data. It will make a windows.old folder and move your USERS folder (as well as program files, windows, etc) inside of it... so when you are done you will be running a fresh clean install of Windows and you simply have to browse back to the c:\windows.old\users folder and double click your old folder to get to your data.

Note: The first time you do this it will ask if you want to claim ownership... just tell it YES. Then it may take several minutes, I've seen it take up to 30 minutes before if there's a massive amount of data in there, before it will give you complete access to the files. This is a one-time process. The status bar across the top may seem like it reaches the end and it may look like its no longer doing anything, but if you leave it until the folder opens up then you should be fine.

If you still experience similar issues with freezing after the fresh install, then you may have some kind of hardware problem.

Hope that helps!