Windows 10 stutter and programs not repsonding

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
I have recently installed windows 10 on a brand new PC. However I find that the system stutters quite often where a program will be marked as not responding for a few secs and then return back to normal. It is really, really annoying to work with. All I have installed is Office 365, Star Wars Battlefront and CSGO, so much space available left on the SSD.

PC specs:
i5-6400 Skylake
Corsair Force Series LE 240GB 2.5'' SSD
8 GB Kingston Value DDR4 2133MHz
MSI B150M BAZOOKA
ASUS GeForce GTX1060 3GB DUAL OC

Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Solution
you will want to go to the motherboard vendors website and install the most current drivers and BIOS.
Windows will not provide updates to certain oem drivers.

be sure to update the audio driver for the motherboard, they often cause problems with the graphics card because of undetected conflicts with the GPU audio support.

be sure to reset the BIOS or update it, it builds a database of the hardware settings that is sent to windows plug and play.

certain USB devices require updates also, the new motherboard run so many hardware subsystems thru the PCI/e "bus" so that unexpected devices can interfere with various subsystem. Some mouse driver versions can cause these problems.
you might want to put your SSD on a different port or on...

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
did you do an upgrade from win 7/win8.1? or did you do a fresh install of win 10? i always suggest just to reinstall if your OS is acting like a bastard. you can spend all the time in the world trying to diagnose it, or you can just reinstall.

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015

you've installed all the correct drivers for the chipset i'm going to assume? have you checked task manager to see if any unwanted programs are either starting with windows or running in the background?

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Yes all the right drivers have been installed from the install disc that came with each hardware piece. I haven't checked if anything runs in the background when it stutter but nothing runs in the back normally

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
do yourself a favor and take each disc that came with your components, and sling them in the trash. next, go to the manufacturer's website(s) and download all of the newest drivers for your motherboard and GPU.

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
I've checked for background programs running and there's nothing running besides what I'm using, nothing taking up usage of the driver either. I've just checked every driver online and everything is up-to-date.

you will want to go to the motherboard vendors website and install the most current drivers and BIOS.
Windows will not provide updates to certain oem drivers.

be sure to update the audio driver for the motherboard, they often cause problems with the graphics card because of undetected conflicts with the GPU audio support.

be sure to reset the BIOS or update it, it builds a database of the hardware settings that is sent to windows plug and play.

certain USB devices require updates also, the new motherboard run so many hardware subsystems thru the PCI/e "bus" so that unexpected devices can interfere with various subsystem. Some mouse driver versions can cause these problems.
you might want to put your SSD on a different port or on the primary sata controller if you have two.
the primary controller is the one supported by the CPU chipset. Most often it is the slower one but it is less likely to have bugs because the driver is updated via windows update. bugs in the BIOS sata support can trigger or interact with bugs in SSD firmware this can cause windows to reset the port connection to the SSD over and over. as long as the system does the reset faster than 30 seconds your system will not bugcheck. it will just pause for 2 or 3 seconds at a time over and over. windows will put a event in the eventlog but you will not know if you don't actually look at the disk events

Solution