Question Windows 10 Taskbar not responding

Akronox

Prominent
Dec 21, 2020
I've had this issue appear out of nowhere for around 3 days now. Every time I boot up my PC, the taskbar is blank and frozen and it says "Microsoft Windows - This application is not responding. Do you want to end this process?" and I click "end Process." The thing is it restarts the EXPLORER.exe service but nothing happens, and it's in a continuous loop. I've tried stopping the EXPLORER.exe and re-starting it, updating software, re-installing my peripherals' software to see if that was the issue, but nothing. The only way to solve the issue is to restart the computer but that solution is too inconvenient every time I want to start up my PC.

unknown.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
try turning fast start up off and see if that removes need for a restart
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Akronox

Prominent
Dec 21, 2020
It's a weird problem, as when I started up my PC today the problem didn't show up. It just comes and goes. I've tried doing the sfc command and the RestoreHealth command when this first happened but sometimes the same error resulted.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running fast startup off, only as you say a restart fixes it.
windows with fast start up on is never off, its sleeping when you turn it off.
the only time a windows with it on is actually off is during a restart
turning fast startup off means PC is actually off when you shut it down.

So if you only have a hdd boot time will be slower with it off. But drivers might actually work right.

explorer might be conflicting with something else at start up.

try updating driver software, it might fix it.