Windows 10: The Major New Features, In Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeusGamer

Admirable
Are they skipping Windows 9 because Nvidia skipped the 8 series?

it looks really good though. I've always liked how Windows 8 has more sharped edges rather than round. But that's just me.

Can't wait for the final release of this product though.

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I'd drop down a grand in a heartbeat for a Win10 (x86, not some ARM version) smartphone/phablet with usb 3.1 and HDMI. I don't care if it's huge, i'll just carry around a European satchel :p

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Well maybe not a grand, kind of got carried away there. But if it can replace my existing smartphone, tablet, and ultrabook then we're talking serious value there. Dang it Tom's when are you going to let us edit our comments...

tridon

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Will this mean i don't have to Alt+F4 to close a program? EPIC!
(Yes, I'm exaggerating, but before I had installed all my usual programs, there were some of them needing to be closed with Alt+F4. Felt like I was thrown back to the 90s.)

GPUPacman

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Are they skipping Windows 9 because Nvidia skipped the 8 series?

it looks really good though. I've always liked how Windows 8 has more sharped edges rather than round. But that's just me.

Well, they did name their third Xbox that everybody that was going to be called the 720 the Xbox One.

Can't wait for the final release of this product though.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

Next to the"Display X Comments" title is an icon looking like a quote mark in a speech bubble with the hover-tag 'view comments in forum'. Click that and then you can use all forum tools to edit etc.

Gentlemen?

Microshift again proves that they are devoid of real innovations, design sense, and can only slap new options for colors, goofy giant icon "tiles", and helpful fuzzy bear wizards over DOS, methods to try and consolidate marketing and monopoly, and the least elegant interface design possible. These guys are spending too much time touching their "screens".

Of course, there needs to be a continuity in the code so existing Windows programs can run, but I don't how they imagine their apparently permanent absence of useful innovation and aesthetics will stimulate interest- except in Apple and Linux.

BambiBoom

ZeusGamer

Admirable
I still don't like how Microsoft laid off [I think] 18,000 employees and not long after that, they're going to buy Minecraft for $2 Billion. I think that's just ludicrous!

zxt827

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Windows 10, I'm assuming they made this bold name instead of win9, to make it legendary, and expecting it to dominate the OS market for at least 10 years? anyway, the look and functionality is in deed improved. I think it will be a seccessful product.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I like it better then windows 8 that's for sure. i'm still on the fence on whether about it though when it comes to windows 7. Windows 7 is a damn good OS. Much like Windows 7 was to Vista, Windows 10 is a fixed version of Windows 8 in many ways, not so much in terms of stability but in usability. It was no secret that Windows 8 got a bad rap from many keyboard and mouse users with the modern ui, but that seems to be a problem that is now solved in windows 10. finally someone at Microsoft said you know what we need to do? is go back to listening to our consumers and ask them what they want and not tell them what they need instead like in Windows 8. I've tested the windows 10 preview and honestly so far so good. other then a few bugs here or there from some programs randomly shutting down, it feels almost like am RTM. Then again Microsoft had 2 years with Windows 8 to be treated like the beta for Windows 10.

oxiide

Distinguished
They seem to be saying all the right things and I'm pretty optimistic. This release should coincide conveniently with a motherboard/CPU upgrade for me.

I hope its as customizable as it sounds like, though. I can envision myself getting used to having a few games with attractive tiles in the Start menu, but I'd like the ability to get rid of them altogether as well. I'd be more comfy if I could see screenshots of tile-less Start menus.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
This is just technical preview so there is more to come but i somehow think we won't see radical gui changes than what we see now. It is horrible.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

I'm going to have to agree with you here. Also, I would like the fact that I can put the games on those tiles instead of useless apps haha.

This design is a better Windows 8/WIndows 8.1. I really like where this is heading.

f-14

Distinguished
i'm still waiting for voice command and control. touch was around in the 90's. and for the most part it's being phased out even in point of sale devices at stores due to lack of speed, lack of durability, lack of support and lack of hardware and high cost.

voice command is gaining momentum with smart phones and with the automobile. home integration is something i am still looking for especially to replace light switches, altho motion and body heat detection are rudimentary enough to get by for now.

wysiwygbill

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I want to replace Cortana with a cat woman. (Just kidding)

Seriously though, one dinky little Windows update change I'd like to see is the option to automatically apply updates which don't require a reboot, such as Windows Defender, while not automatically installing updates which require a reboot. That would cut down on notifications that I need to apply updates to my servers while also avoiding potentially ill-timed server reboots. Maybe apply updates on a weekly schedule so reboots don't interfere with backups, international access, etc.

dgingeri

Distinguished
They're probably skipping the number 9 because of their strong presence in the Japanese market. The number 9 and the word for suffering or distress are pronounced the same in Japan. (Therefore, the number 9 is considered unlucky.) Having a release of a product named something that sounds to them like "Windows Suffering" would be a marketing disaster. They're pretty smart about this, really.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Installed this this morning. I'd gotten use to the start screen in 8.1 but like the change and how customizable it is. You've taken the good ideas of the start screen and incorporated them is a far less disruptive fashion.

Good job MS;)

Status
Not open for further replies.