[SOLVED] Windows 10 to Windows 7

Oct 3, 2019
Hey all. Just got a new Acer with Windows 10.
First thing I did was remove the hard drive and put in my old SATA HD with Windows 7 installed. No go, just get a message "Reboot & Select proper boot device"
I NEED to boot to this drive.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Solution
What system did the Win 7 drive come out of?
Were there other drives in that other system?

Ultimately, though....moving a drive with Win 7 to a whole different PC is unlikely to boot up.
What are the specs for this new system? It may be completely incompatible with Win 7 altogether.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly you'll obviously want to ensure that your boot priority is in the correct order to boot from the storage drive.

Unfortunately Windows isn't as interchangeable as we often want it to be, and especially older OS - it will tie itself to your hardware, you change that hardware and suddenly it won't work the same way. Presuming that you just need to access data from it, in which case I would plug it into an external dock or enclosure, boot into your primary storage device with W10 on it and access the data as an external device from there. :)

USAFRet

Titan
What system did the Win 7 drive come out of?
Were there other drives in that other system?

Ultimately, though....moving a drive with Win 7 to a whole different PC is unlikely to boot up.
What are the specs for this new system? It may be completely incompatible with Win 7 altogether.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution
Oct 3, 2019
Its the Acer Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi3O.
There has to be a way to make it work. I mean, if I installed a drive and did a clean install of Win7 that would work, correct? What if I did a clean install of Win 7 and then swapped back to my original Windows 7 drive? It would really make my life easier to just use this drive.

USAFRet

Titan
While you may be able to do a new clean install of Win 7 on that i3-8100 (will be a real pain to do), that has nothing to do with having your OLD drive boot up in this new system.
Windows install are decidedly NOT modular...you can't just move them back and forth between systems.

Oct 3, 2019
I also have all my ebay listings on that drive, which needs to be booted to to access. I'm going to have to contact Acer to find out what changes to the BIOS I need to make this happen.

USAFRet

Titan
another sata hard drive, dvd burner...why do you ask?
When the Win 7 OS was first installed, were both drives connected?
If so, that is the primary reason for your initial result of "Reboot & Select proper boot device" .

The boot partition actually lives on the other drive.

Of course, that has little to do with making the actual Win 7 drive in question boot up in all new hardware.
That still probably won't work.

Oct 3, 2019
Actually I had an older PC here and did exactly what I'm trying to with no problem. Of course, it was a Win7 desktop though. And unfortunately there are some applications out there that are far from portable. eBay's Turbo Lister works in the same way Outlook Express did back in the day.