[SOLVED] Windows 10 Transfer from old Motherboard

Sep 19, 2020
Recently I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but me not really having any experience didn't link my Microsoft account to my product key for windows 10. I still have the old Motherboard, as well as the ram and CPU that went with it and my plan was to just unplug the new stuff in my pc, run the wires out to my motherboard on cardboard or something, then find the product key. After that I would then hook everything back up with the new parts and put the key into my pc. Is there anything I should know before starting this.

TL;DR all I want is to get the Windows 10 key off my old motherboard, so it stops saying activate Windows.

Is there a bare essentials way that I can hook up my old Motherboard and get the key?
Another way to get the Windows key from the motherboard?

(I have tried the troubleshooting for windows 10 in settings, as well as contacted Microsoft. The "recently changed hardware" tab in troubleshooting was no use either, it can't verify I have previously had windows.)

Aug 12, 2020
Sharing my experience: I changed my motherboard and then Windows 10 got deactivated. After that I tried lots of things to fix it, but it didn't work, so I had to reinstall it. Please let me know if you find any solution.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Sharing my experience: I changed my motherboard and then Windows 10 got deactivated. After that I tried lots of things to fix it, but it didn't work, so I had to reinstall it. Please let me know if you find any solution.
If you get the Windows OEM then the previous key is only mounted to that specific motherboard, encrypted on that BIOS and can't be transferred in any ways.

<Mod Edit>

Okay sorry mod, didn't really know if that's not allowed. But, there's not much you guys can do except buying the Windows License Key.
<Replier Edit>

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
If you get the Windows OEM then the previous key is only mounted to that specific motherboard, encrypted on that BIOS and can't be transferred in any ways.

<Mod Edit>

Okay sorry mod, didn't really know if that's not allowed. But, there's not much you guys can do except buying the Windows License Key.
<Replier Edit>
Win 10 has changed the licensing rules significantly.
The line between "OEM" and "Retail" is completely different than previous Windows versions.

Where this license came from originally is the key factor. Hence, my question above.

Sep 19, 2020
To be completely honest, I don't know where this version came from. I got my PC from a distant family member who changed PCs. If I had to guess, I'd assume it is retail, because he custom built his PC.