Windows 10 Two problems in One - Please try to help with both.

RalphJoy22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Greetings to all my fellow Hardware masters, I please ask you to help me in this and I will try to detail most of the problems as much as I can. So the problems starts with this two -

1. When I boot into Windows 10 - I end up with a black screen with a movable cursor. I have found a temporary solution to fix that problem but I am pretty much sure this is happening due to problem number two.

2. Problem number two is that - Once I go past that initial black screen stage and I actually manage to sign in to Windows. I see the whole desktop but the problem is I click on a program or any executables in general, the thing is I can see them being opened in the mini thumbnail window but I can't seem to bring that Window upfront, it doesn't get maximized. No matter what I do, I just can't see the executable that has been opened.

Now on to the details:

My 2 year 6 months old PC has 2 HDD (No SSD) - One of them is 1TB and the other is 2TB. Now the 2TB HDD has 3 partitions - all aptly named: Local Disk C,D and E. Their partition sizes are as follows.

Local Disk C - 488GB
Local Disk D - 691GB
Local Disk E - 683GB

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 is installed in my first partition which is Local Disk C.

Now the 1TB HDD also has 3 partitions - all aptly named: Local Disk F,G and H. Their partition sizes are as follows.

Local Disk F - 244GB
Local Disk G - 244GB
Local Disk H - 443GB

Now I recently decided to install Windows 10 in dual boot with my existing Windows 7 installation. Now I read somewhere that to have dual booting, the Windows installation should be in the Same Hard drive. So I left out Local Disk F,G and H out of the equation.

I went ahead and installed Windows 10 Pro x64 edition in my 2TB HDD on partition Local Disk E. Installation and everything went fine without any hitch but after I started the Windows Update, it started to download some updates among which I saw drivers for my Sound Card and display driver for my GTX 760. The moment Windows Update finished downloading the display driver - my resolution was adjusted but I saw many of the things were missing on the right side. There was no Sound or Network icon on the bottom right, nor was there any indication of the activity panel or whatever it is called 'The place where all the notifications are shown'. All of those were missing and it was a clear back taskbar and most importantly no matter whatever I open, I can only see their thumbnail preview in the taskbar - if I click on it, the screen doesn't show whatever is opened. I am thinking it is related to the display driver but it could be something else and because of this problem, I also can't run safe mode - I get the same black screen again. I know there should be a window in the background where you will have to select on how to execute the safe mode because it is not like previous Windows and since I can't see it - I cannot do anything.

I have written this by logging back into my Windows 7 - so please guide me in details on what must be done or what could be done. I am in no means an expert so step by step explanation or solution would be prefered if possible.

Thank You for your help in advance.

Solution

It was not set as the default screen but on my 'Screen Resolution/Display settings' - these are the settings I was using in Windows 7.

Display -- 1|2. Multiple Monitors
Resolution -- 1920x1080
Orientation -- Landscape
Multiple Displays -- Duplicate these Displays

and there is a line written below which says, ''This is...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Use the win 10 iso you used to install win 10 and boot up
after language options, select repair this pc, not install
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up options and press F10 for more options
select enable low resolution video mode

it sounds like resolution graphics drivers have set for screen is too big for screen and that is why everything is off screen. Hopefully we can at least load into windows now and reset resolution to something sensible.

RalphJoy22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012

I went up to advanced but there was no start up option, I tried pressing f10 nevertheless which didn't work. Also instead of Startup options, there is only Startup repair.

Also I can boot into Windows 10 using safe mode with networking from Windows Bootloader in the start screen but changing the resolution in safe mode of course didn't change anything. So what should I do?

EDIT -- And I forgot to write this - I can boot into Windows 10 but I just can't see the things I have opened other than the thumbnail preview in the taskbar.

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
should´nt the resolution also change when a new display is detected?
if so, try booting up then unplug the screen from your card and if possible try a different monitor or(if multiple ports) try a different port on the card to see if that does anything.

RalphJoy22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012

Well when I tried using the method you said - it didn't work out for some reason but anyways that was a small problem as the main objective of your solution was to load into the desktop with the lowest resolution available so that I could fix it by installing the Nvidia drivers again and changing the resolution. I tried it but it wouldn't let me install the display drivers in Windows 10 while I was in safe mode, said something about visual redist c++ not being available or something.

I was at my wit's end but than I realized I missed out a vital information in my original post and for that I am sorry. So the thing is I am using a DVI connection from my GPU to my Dell Monitor and using the HDMI connection from my GPU to connect to my SONY TV which I use as a secondary viewing device :O

The thing that happens was - the signal keep getting cut on my DELL Monitor but I forgot to even check my SONY TV connection, so when I switched it on - I saw that I was able to see my desktop O_O so I installed the display drivers and adjusted the settings where the desktop was extended to both my DELL monitor and my SONY TV. It was a silly mistake from my side and I am so sorry. So thanks for both of your help :x I am really embarrassed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did think at one stage, I wonder if its on a second screen, but I didn't say anything... there is a windows button and arrow combo I think to go to second monitor, I never use them as the virtual monitor function in win 10 needs more work before its useful. IT needs to remember what you save there and then I will use a different desktop for different things...

so you saying your tv was set as default screen?

RalphJoy22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012

It was not set as the default screen but on my 'Screen Resolution/Display settings' - these are the settings I was using in Windows 7.

Display -- 1|2. Multiple Monitors
Resolution -- 1920x1080
Orientation -- Landscape
Multiple Displays -- Duplicate these Displays

and there is a line written below which says, ''This is currently your main display.''

So the thing was that since both of them were connected at the same time, for some reason instead of the desktop - the image was showing up on the TV. Once I inputted the same settings like in Windows 7 - it was fixed.

Solution