Windows 10 Update interaction with custom folder locations

Kerui

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I have a 60 GB SSD Boot drive.

On my fresh install of windows 7 the last time around I decided to take some steps to avoid the boot drive getting full over time, while still in installation before creating the user folders I opened CMD and created a Users and Program files location in D:\ then deleted the ones in C:\ and created a "shortcut" of sorts that re directs any file attempting to save / install to C:\ Program Files to go to D:\ program files... Consequently I had to make a few regedits to follow up these actions and make sure everything pointed in the right direction.

Honestly I did all this from a guide (that I think I found here on Tom's Hardware - man I wish I could find it again) and I am not a real super user, just capable of following instructions.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the complications this would cause with regards to upgrading to windows 10?

Thanks!

Solution
The guide used for Windows 7 can be found on a number of forums but I followed up with Sean's guide(over on OCN) to optimizing my Windows 7 installation and in it was mention of how to relocate the entire folder to another drive and have Windows actively manage it.

The guide you're talking about, meant for Windows 10, is found on tenforums and at the footnote of that guide is where you'll find what happens when you update it.

Personally I'd stay away from Windows 10 due to its volatile nature even with minor changes done in regedit though you can always try it out provided you have your files/apps critical data stored away(unplugged from machine) ready for access on a rainy day, should that day involve you, in...

Lutfij

Titan
The guide used for Windows 7 can be found on a number of forums but I followed up with Sean's guide(over on OCN) to optimizing my Windows 7 installation and in it was mention of how to relocate the entire folder to another drive and have Windows actively manage it.

The guide you're talking about, meant for Windows 10, is found on tenforums and at the footnote of that guide is where you'll find what happens when you update it.

Personally I'd stay away from Windows 10 due to its volatile nature even with minor changes done in regedit though you can always try it out provided you have your files/apps critical data stored away(unplugged from machine) ready for access on a rainy day, should that day involve you, in re-installing Windows 10 from scratch.

It might even be changed by Microsoft, who knows?

I'd also look into BIOS updates and driver downloads to maximize compatibility and minimize failure points. That being said please specify your systems specs :)

Lastly no matter which drive you select to install Windows 10 the OS will reassign the drive letter to C(if you chose D, E or F etc) and reorganize the latter drives just put it out there should something look off to you.

Solution