Sep 24, 2023
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help troubleshooting this issue, as I don't know enough about PCs to move forward.

I have been running Baldur's Gate 3 no problem on my PC since it launched in August. It's a demanding game, but I had been lucky so far in not experience any lag or stuttering. After installing the latest Windows 10 update, that completely changed. I finished playing the game one night, set the PC to update and shut down, and when I turned my computer on the next day to play some more, the game was so laggy it became unplayable.

I don't know how the Windows 10 update could have affected things, but it's the only thing that I did on my computer from when I ended my last gaming session and started a new one.

I've made sure all my driver's are up-to-date & that the game is up-to-date. I hadn't updated the game right before experiencing these problems or anything like that, so I know it wasn't a game update that caused the issue. A game update has come out since the problem began but installing it did not fix the problems I'm experiencing. I've never had to monitor the game's performance in task manager before, so I'm not sure if there is a difference in how it's using system resources now vs before the Windows update. But task manager typically shows CPU usage around 20%, memory around 80%, and Disk around 50%. Sometimes the memory does spike around 90%. This is high compared to the other games I play on my PC, but this game is known to be demanding so I'm not sure if it's cause for concern. I have seen some people connecting stuttering/crashes in this game with the disk or CPU hitting 100%, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. Maybe the memory is causing the issue? But I don't know why it wasn't causing issues before if that is the case. Restarting the game does not help, the lag is present the moment my save file loads, which from what I've read rules out memory leak.

I know this forum is not for specific game troubleshooting, but I'm hoping to at least get some advice for troubleshooting a sudden performance change like this. If anyone has any troublehooting tips for a situation like this, I'd be very thankful!

Hello, I'm hoping to find some help troubleshooting this issue, as I don't know enough about PCs to move forward.

I have been running Baldur's Gate 3 no problem on my PC since it launched in August. It's a demanding game, but I had been lucky so far in not experience any lag or stuttering. After installing the latest Windows 10 update, that completely changed. I finished playing the game one night, set the PC to update and shut down, and when I turned my computer on the next day to play some more, the game was so laggy it became unplayable.

I don't know how the Windows 10 update could have affected things, but it's the only thing that I did on my computer from when I ended my last gaming session and started a new one.

I've made sure all my driver's are up-to-date & that the game is up-to-date. I hadn't updated the game right before experiencing these problems or anything like that, so I know it wasn't a game update that caused the issue. A game update has come out since the problem began but installing it did not fix the problems I'm experiencing. I've never had to monitor the game's performance in task manager before, so I'm not sure if there is a difference in how it's using system resources now vs before the Windows update. But task manager typically shows CPU usage around 20%, memory around 80%, and Disk around 50%. Sometimes the memory does spike around 90%. This is high compared to the other games I play on my PC, but this game is known to be demanding so I'm not sure if it's cause for concern. I have seen some people connecting stuttering/crashes in this game with the disk or CPU hitting 100%, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. Maybe the memory is causing the issue? But I don't know why it wasn't causing issues before if that is the case. Restarting the game does not help, the lag is present the moment my save file loads, which from what I've read rules out memory leak.

I know this forum is not for specific game troubleshooting, but I'm hoping to at least get some advice for troubleshooting a sudden performance change like this. If anyone has any troublehooting tips for a situation like this, I'd be very thankful!
Assuming the update has anything to do with your problem you can look at the update history and see what winupd fed you.

Sep 24, 2023
Assuming the update has anything to do with your problem you can look at the update history and see what winupd fed you.
As far as I can tell it just looks like a standard security update. It was updates KB5030211 and KB5030180 (version 22h2 for x64 systems).

And I'm definitely open to the idea of it being caused by something else! Like I said, the windows update was just the only thing that had changed in-between gameplay sessions.

As far as I can tell it just looks like a standard security update. It was updates KB5030211 and KB5030180 (version 22h2 for x64 systems).

And I'm definitely open to the idea of it being caused by something else! Like I said, the windows update was just the only thing that had changed in-between gameplay sessions.
Look down a little further in the history list there are other sections.