Windows 10 upgrade cancelling itself, code 80070002

BigAndyB1029

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I've been trying to upgrade with no luck. I'm ready in the download queue and the "Get Windows 10" icon in my tray downloads it for me. I've tried installing a few times with no luck. Here are some things I've tried already:

1. Checked this windows page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7

Then I removed the temp files / folders it told me to. Didn't work.

2. Ran the Windows Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard. It finds the problem and tells me it fixes it. It doesn't fix it. Twice.

3. Checking time zone settings (apparently sometimes this causes it?)

4. Tried reading other forums here with the same code 80070002 problem, nothing seemed to match up with mine.

This is very frustrating. Every time, it downloads, says its ready to install, starts to install, then restarts at 0% back in Windows 8.1. Then it gives me the code, and makes me download the update again. The whole process takes 30 minutes to 1 hour until I see my good friend code 80070002 again.

I'm going away for the weekend and will be back Tuesday, any help is much appreciated and I will attempt any solutions when I get back. Thank you!

Solution
I also had two hard drives - each with an installed Windows 8.1 on it. (I had cloned the spinning hard drive to an SSD and set the system to boot from the SSD).

The Windows 10 install got confused when it 'saw' more than one Windows installations.

I removed the old drive (and replaced it with a freshly formatted drive) and Windows 10 installed easily.

My point here is that (at last for me) the problem was not that I had two drives, but that I had two drives both of which had a Windows installation on them.
Aug 5, 2015
This may work, I haven't fully tested it yet, but it may work and I have high hopes for it. Note: I have the exact same problem, ran through the same problems, and have the same computer as you with the same windows OS.

Your component store is corrupted....

First try this : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336
Then use this as reference to what I will be talking about below: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

The first thing you need to do to see if it corrupted and to see if it repairable is to open command prompt as ADMIN,
after you have opened that you need to type this :
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

This will let you know if there is a problem with your windows.

Then run this to see if its repairable.
dism /online /cleanup-image /check health

This will tell you if it repairble or if there is a problem with your windows.

If it is not repairable you will have to either try to repair it with a CD or most likely do a clean boot.

If it is repairable you will then run this command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Note: You do not need a CD to fix this, unless your windows is internally messed up to where it cannot fix the corruption. It Will tell you at the end of restore health if it was able to fix it or not. You may also use an image downloaded from online if you wish. The link above shows you the command for that once you have downloaded the ISO or whatever you choose to use.
It may take awhile for it to complete ~ 25-30 minutes it will have a percentage indicator.

My corruption was fixed doing this without a CD. I am testing if my windows will update now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

BigAndyB1029

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I finally figured it out, and I hate that the error code I received can mean a billion and one different things.

ANYONE RUNNING TWO HARD DRIVES, PLEASE READ THIS PART SO YOU DON'T HAVE THE SAME TROUBLE AS ME!!!

I checked out reddit and the first thing I saw was about the error code and the guy had two hard drives like me. Said once he disconnected his non OS drive, it upgraded just fine.

That's it, that's the stupid simple solution I found to make it work.

Now I have Windows 10 loaded and running. So simple....

....fml

BigAndyB1029

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Now I've tried it through the media creation tool. Same code pops up at the same point in the install process, but in a little more detail. Here's what it says:

0x8007002 - 0x20009
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation.

If it helps, I'm trying this on my ASUS G75vw. Attempting to put it on my SSD that Windows 8.1 is running off of; I have a second HDD strictly used for storage.

I've heard that making an image can result in some other problems when doing the free upgrade to Windows 10, so I'm a little hesitant to do this but am willing.

make sure you are running the most current BIOS for the machine as you can get.
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG_ROG/G75VW/HelpDesk_Download/
bios 223 dated 2013/01/17

I would also update any drivers I could before you attempt to upgrade the system.

then if it still fails, I would go into BIOS and disable any non standard hardware or any hardware that is not required to get the system to run.
and try the update again.

in particular, up date any card reader drivers or disable the card reader hardware in BIOS. (it is just a guess because card reader drivers tend to have problems)

klem

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
What is all this nonsense about fixes and folders and diagnostics? With all due respect to you guys that understand these things, I shouldn't have to bother.

Microsoft have been banging on about this 'simple upgrade' for months. I am trying to upgrade my Acer 8942G - advised by the update process as compatible - from Window 7. I too get 80070002 and I'm not going to learn how to chase that down.

GET YOUR FINGER OUT MICROSOFT. IT DOESN'T WORK AND I'M NOT A GURU!!!

Or say goodbye to many of us as far as Windows 10 is concerned.,

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
It is simple--or as simple as pushing a major update to hundreds of millions of devices simultaneously, devices that all have different hardware setups and driver requirements, as can be. All the issues that people are posting about are but a tiny, tiny drop in the pond in relation to the overall number of people getting Windows 10. Don't know about that final claim either, since everybody here has been more than willing to do a little troubleshooting. Nobody expected a painless launch, but it's not like Windows 10 is being forced on anybody. If you can't handle troubleshooting a few issues, don't jump on Windows 10 yet.

Edit:

Apologies if I sounded harsh. But launch issues were all but expected and any semi-professional or enthusiast/hobbyist would have advised general users to wait at least a week or two before upgrading. It's never a particularly good idea to be an early adopter of any kind of technology if you aren't willing to deal with a few bumps along the road.

you should start your own thread or talk to acer about getting your machine problems fixed.
Microsoft can not update your BIOS for you, they can not even install the custom ACER drivers.
And they can not go into your BIOS and disable devices that have problems, you have to do that.

And I am sure acer support would help you.

klem

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006

I have since discovered - despite my intentions to leave it to Microsoft - that it is because the Acer laptop has the SUPPORT partition marked as Active and the main C drive cannot be set as Active ( a new subject to me only made understandable by googling the problem). The much vaunted Windows 10 update icon method will only install to the Active partition. Is it really beyond the wit of Microsoft - who invented the system - to identify the partition carrying the old Windows installation and update it there? I found a Microsoft page where I could download and install Win10 which is even now installing on my Laptop. I may not be a Guru but I did have enough google experience to find the answer but I should not have had to, neither should the thousands of other people who will have the same problem. MS offer this as an easy, click as you go, upgrade for the general user, not for an IT geek. Presented on the system tray of every user they should have had the sense to make it more effective and dare I say intelligent. Do they know that without Google their upgrade cannot be installed by the average user of (not unusual) systems like mine? Do they really rely on google and inventive detective work to install their upgrade?

Those that disagree with these sentiments may well be IT-informed and happy to proclaim their prowess but the vast majority of Windows users are not.

@Titillating. As far as I know I am not installing a beta version. MS invited me to reguster, it approved the registration and told me to download and install. Nothing about launch issues.

BigAndyB1029

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

I have a feeling this might be it. Recently, my computer kept blue screening every time I booted and didn't work again until I did a repair with the Windows 8 disk. I've now tried updating BIOS and drivers, I also ran the update diagnostic tool again to see if it works. Otherwise, I'm going to your command line solution :)

***UPDATE***

Ran the cmd.exe as an administrator, went through all the steps just as you said, and I checked the other site as well that you cited. It said my image was repairable, repaired it and the same thing happened again.

This is probably the most frustrated I have ever been with my computer. I really appreciate all of you helping and any more advice is very welcome. I will do whatever I need to to get rid of Windows 8 lol.

you can only mark the first partition on the drive as the boot partition.
I would suspect that the partition is too small for windows to put the new boot loader + required files on it.
On my system the reserved partition is 450 MB, I installed during the beta. You might check your size and see if there is the required room for windows.

Aug 5, 2015

Im sorry BigAndy. I too have failed too get it to install. I had really really high hopes for it! I even did a custom registry fix and it still doesn't work. I used to see an update screen with a giant circle after my computer would restart but now even that is gone. I am going to try a final method... I will post the link and copy/paste the steps I will take and then I will let you know if it works!

I'm now going to try this : https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0
I found an error on mine doing this im in process of trying to fix it. Saw it as a suggestion for another person with the same problem on some other forum. But his wasnt corrupted.

[UPDATE] I managed to fix my corruption since SFC /SCANNOW was unable to. I used mainly this link to fix it :: http://thetechcookbook.com/windows-8-update-kb3022345-causing-corrupt-files/

You can also uninstall the windows update (KB3022345) if you can find it inside windows programs and features and on the left tab with installed updates link next to your programs. If you decide to fix the windows update rather than uninstall it --->VERY IMPORTANT IS THAT YOU REALIZE WHICH CORRUPTION YOU HAVE ... READ THE SFC DETAILS .txt. It WILL SHOW YOU IF YOU NEED TO DO THE x86 or x64 FIX... IF YOU SEE SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-
(key word is AMD )IN THERE FOR PROCESSOR THEN YOU NEED X64 IF YOU SEE \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_ Then its x86 obviously i made the mistake of doing the wrong one and my sfc scan still failed.

But this link lead me to the previous link : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/575721/some-files-cannot-be-repaired/

Then I also ran into this link, but the first one i used is more rational and way easier if you have winzip. :: http://www.techish.net/cannot-repair-member-file-utc-app-json-microsoft-update-kb3022345-b0rken/

[UPDATE] Neither methods have worked for me so I will be uninstalling microsoft update kb3022345 (note there is a search bar on the top right to find it and uninstall it just type in kb3022345) and then let you know if my windows ten installs.

I also had to uninstall KB3068708

I have yet to try to install windows 10 yet, I will again update to let you know. We will get through this together have faith haha. xD

[UPDATE] I have done everything exhausted everything. It must have something to do from upgrading my stock laptop from windows 7 to the free upgrade to windows 8, then upgrading to windows 8.1. Something in the chain of events has caused my windows to be in the wrong format and have mismatching files which my windows 8.1 to windows 10 upgrade cannot read or is not compatible with. I have decided to use a DVD and media creation and will be doing a clean boot. Good luck andy sorry i couldnt fix your problem.

Ali Mari Baloch

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

Aug 5, 2015
I FINALLY FIXED IT... I did not have to do any sort of crazy crap either... well i did, I ran tweaking.com windows fix.. this was very intensive as it fixed every problem on my computer but it still ran the error. After crashing my computer and doing all kinds of crazy stuff like redoing my boot.efi and redoing system partitions... I found a super simple fix.. literally this is all you have to do...

go to your windows -> softwaredistribution and delete everything in the download folder (note do this after it has failed to update and shows try again button near the error on windows update page). After you have deleted everything run command prompt as admin and run this code wuauclt.exe /updatenow

After it finished downloading I did the regular steps and was curious if it made a difference. AND IT DID... some people on reddit reported that it took them three tries of deleting all the stuff in download and redoing the command prompt. It worked on my first try.. Let me know if it works... Im so happy I don't have to redownload all my cracked software LOL! jk. #notreallyjoking

yes, and find out why you were getting a corrupted download. Update your ethernet drivers (as a guess)

danjah

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
I too got this exact error for days, trying out all sorts of solutions to get by it, including the ones above. I now have Windows 10 installed, and what worked was to use the Media Creation Tool and choose only to keep files, not apps/programs. Not totally ideal, since I was aiming for a upgrade where I kept everything, but better than being stuck with Windows 8.1. ;)

Hackmac27

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
This helped me:

go to your windows -> softwaredistribution and delete everything in the download folder (note do this after it has failed to update and shows try again button near the error on windows update page). After you have deleted everything run command prompt as admin and run this code wuauclt.exe /updatenow. If the code doesn't help, then run windows update manually from the control panel.

Rob_Oppen

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
I also had two hard drives - each with an installed Windows 8.1 on it. (I had cloned the spinning hard drive to an SSD and set the system to boot from the SSD).

The Windows 10 install got confused when it 'saw' more than one Windows installations.

I removed the old drive (and replaced it with a freshly formatted drive) and Windows 10 installed easily.

My point here is that (at last for me) the problem was not that I had two drives, but that I had two drives both of which had a Windows installation on them.

Solution

mrdarklight

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Honestly, if you don't use software that is specific to Windows, you should just try OSX. I have an OSX installation running on PC HARDWARE (in other words, running on a computer it was never designed to run on) and it has fewer problems than Windows does.

Windows is a popular OS, but it is not a good OS by any stretch.

I am currently struggling through this latest update glitch myself.

ETA: Charming. Microsoft's own instructions don't work. I tried this:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

And it returned an error, saying CheckHealth was not a valid argument.

UrdaMurda

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Do have a look at this article which contains some possible fixs

Vale__

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
For me the following steps worked for 80070002 error:
1) Go to link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336 and follow the steps mentioned there.
2) After this start manual update of windows 10 from Control Panel->Windows Update.

After this the download was complete and installation began:
3) First time the installation failed and system was restored to windows 7.
4) I started download again.
5) After download was over, I disabled anti-virus and removed all USB attached devices, except for mouse.
6) Installation was successfull after this.

After update to windows 10, I was not able to see mozilla firefox bookmarks in browser. But I was able restore bookmarks by searching for latest jsonlz4 file. Not sure which location I picked it from. So if your are reading this before installing win 10 make sure you have all the necessary data backuped up ideally on some external HDD. Apart from this, there have not been any major surprises as such till now.

Edit: There is one major surprise. I can login only as temporary user even though I have admin rights. Working on it now. Search for solution (or how to avoid this issue) before you start with upgrade.

Victim of MS

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Well, I managed to be in the worst case cenerio- I'm trying to upgrade window 7 - external drive boot - to window 10 - after about 12 iterations - I'm still on this endless Kabuki dance !
For those who doesn't know what bootcamp is - I'm a Mac user, whose are forced to use Window because of engineering Software: Eg. Solidworks, MathLab, etc...in the end I have become one of Microsoft slaves/ zombies, whose spending huge amount of time and resources to incrementally begging for this marginal piece art work
Mr. Gate I know no longer involves with MS - but somebody need to tell the so called MS engineers to stop torturing humanity!!!

TRENDING THREADS