Windows 10 upgrade cancelling itself, code 80070002

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigAndyB1029

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I've been trying to upgrade with no luck. I'm ready in the download queue and the "Get Windows 10" icon in my tray downloads it for me. I've tried installing a few times with no luck. Here are some things I've tried already:

1. Checked this windows page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7

Then I removed the temp files / folders it told me to. Didn't work.

2. Ran the Windows Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard. It finds the problem and tells me it fixes it. It doesn't fix it. Twice.

3. Checking time zone settings (apparently sometimes this causes it?)

4. Tried reading other forums here with the same code 80070002 problem, nothing seemed to match up with mine.

This is very frustrating. Every time, it downloads, says its ready to install, starts to install, then restarts at 0% back in Windows 8.1. Then it gives me the code, and makes me download the update again. The whole process takes 30 minutes to 1 hour until I see my good friend code 80070002 again.

I'm going away for the weekend and will be back Tuesday, any help is much appreciated and I will attempt any solutions when I get back. Thank you!

Solution
I also had two hard drives - each with an installed Windows 8.1 on it. (I had cloned the spinning hard drive to an SSD and set the system to boot from the SSD).

The Windows 10 install got confused when it 'saw' more than one Windows installations.

I removed the old drive (and replaced it with a freshly formatted drive) and Windows 10 installed easily.

My point here is that (at last for me) the problem was not that I had two drives, but that I had two drives both of which had a Windows installation on them.

Marc_22

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Had the same problem. Thanks to this tip: http://tipsandtricksforum.com/thread-154.html I got on the right track. It seems the Windows install gets confused because there are still recovery and other system partitions on the secondary drive. removing the drive temporarily, or removing those partitions like I have done, solves the issue. Windows upgrade (win10 to win10 -1511 upgrade) worked for me.

Goog luck
Marc

TobyD

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Yes! It turned out this was my problem too. I disconnected the back-up drive that had Windows installed and the new install worked fine.

Thank you!