rascalov

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Hello dear members.
I have the next configuration:
Intel i7 4790k, Asrock Pro4, Kingston 8GB RAM, SSD 120GB, R9 380 GPU.
What should I know before installing Windows 10 on this configuration? Any of you have the same configuration and Windows 10 installed already? What should I check or do first?
Thank you in advance for your answers and feel free to make objections.

rascalov

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
make sure you have drivers for SATA and network. windows MAY need SATA drivers to finish install (keyword may). the network driver will ensure you can get online and update the system and the rest of the drivers from updated sources.
So the MAY keyword is about also the problem with 1903 release? And I know that also exist a problem in terms of compatibility with this CPU? I mean the frequency descends to 1 GHz and can't install it?

rascalov

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I have Win 10 running on that exact CPU right now. It is nowhere near 'too old'.
Needs no special gyrations to get it to work.
Did you have any problems with the latest update 1903? Like missing files because of delete? I heard that was a problem where the OS randomly deletes files. Thank you.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Did you have any problems with the latest update 1903? Like missing files because of delete? I heard that was a problem where the OS randomly deletes files. Thank you.

Source, please? I have not seen a single credible report making this claim.

There were major problems with file deletion in the early days of the rollout of Version 1809, which has nothing whatsoever with Version 1903, which has had very minimal issues, most of which have already been remedied.

Reactions: rascalov

Colif

Win 11 Master
I agree with USAFRet... 2015 isn't old, 2007 is... My PC is very similar to yours in age and you shouldn't have any problems installing win 10 on it. Shouldn't be any need to grab drivers before install, win 10 will have software for all of it (provided you use a new installer)

Asrock likely supplied a pack of drivers to Microsoft for that board so may not need to grab that many at all after fact. Just run windows update process, it might be in there.

Win 10 was released 3 months after I got PC, so you would sure hope it worked on it :)

I would suggest buying a bigger SSD at some stage as 128 is getting a little small for windows + extras now. 250 is minimum I would run.

Last edited:

rascalov

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
About tweaking the W10 OS, what is your opinion about removing bloatware, stopping hibernation, stopping services?
What did you do to get a better working of this OS?
Thank you big time for your efforts to answer. I really appreciate it.

USAFRet

Titan
About tweaking the W10 OS, what is your opinion about removing bloatware, stopping hibernation, stopping services?
What did you do to get a better working of this OS?
Thank you big time for your efforts to answer. I really appreciate it.
Bloatware - Only extra junk that might come from the manufacturer...like with a laptop
Hibernation - Turn it OFF, solely to preserve drive space. especially if you have a little C drive, like a 128GB
Stopping services - No. Leave it alone.

There is not a lot of tweaking to be done.

I installed malwarebytes. It works fine and like normal.

The reason i removed Windows Defender was i noticed "anti-malware service executable" was using a bit of my cpu even when idle. Nothing significant, but i was looking to make my os more lightweight.
Simply disabling defender from settings didn't fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would suggest Bitdefender over Malwarebytes anyday, it is actually an AV program and includes a firewall that replaces the MS one, Malwarebytes has no such protection. Running windows without a firewall or proper AV is just shooting self in the foot.

If you are on 1903, cortana is not a big a problem as she was on previous versions. She isn't even on my taskbar now.

Win 10 should run fine on your PC without need for any tweaking. I wouldn't be concerned about performance unless you get actual problems, I used to try to fix problems before I got them, but why do that if you aren't sure anything bad will happen.

Long time ago I knew just enough about IRQ's to be dangerous and created problems trying to make sure none were shared... as I said, I knew a little about them but not enough to know windows can cope with them being shared

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I actually wouldn't suggest replacing Windows Security (formerly Defender) with any other product at this point in time. It has been consistently up there with all the top third party tools for several years now, and Microsoft just keeps improving it.

See the most recent plus the last several years of historical test results from:

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas (360 Protection Testing Category)

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
To each his or her own. Given the firepower of most modern processors I have absolutely no problem with security-related background processes running.

Windows Security can be used as an on-demand backup scanner even when you elect to use a 3rd party product as your primary security suite. Thus, Microsoft does keep the background process necessary to keep its definitions up to date going whether it is the active security suite or not.

Unless I have performance problems, which I haven't really in many years now, I'm not all that concerned about background processes from software I've installed or that are part and parcel of Windows 10. The only bits I've made any effort to turn off background processes for are my web browsers. If I'm not browsing, I don't need any part of those running at that time.