Question Windows 10 weird freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Hi,

I have a Windows 10 family edition 1809 on my laptop, and it freezes randomly about once a week.
CPU is Intel i7-6700HQ
8GB of RAM
Everytime it freezes it happens gradually. Today Firefox froze, I opened a folder then explorer froze, then the mouse froze and I could do nothing.
The light on the computer that tells if the computer is busy wasn't turning on alot, so I rebooted.
Last time around 2weeks ago, I started a game then everything gradually froze and I rebooted as well.

I ran memtest86 from Passmark before Windows loaded through a bootable usb, no error no warning.
I ran chkdsk on my SSD (with windows) and my HDD before Windows loaded, no errors either.
The event log mentions a few warnings related to PCI Express about 14minutes before the freeze. The only other log is a critical error because of the reboot.
My HDD is not really fragmented (~5%), the laptop is about 3 years old, I ran Eset Internet Security 12.1.34.0 on the whole drive a few days ago and nothing.

Can anyone help me figure this out ?

Thanks in advance to anyone helping :)

Ralston18

Titan
Use Reliability History to check for error codes and warnings that correspond with the freezes.

Much easier to use than Event Viewer.

You can also use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system activities and performance while working. Just drag the window to one side in order to continue to watch what is happening. May be that some bottleneck developes.

Reactions: schklom
Jun 23, 2019
Thanks, I didn't know about Reliability History :)
Unfortunately, it didn't record anything prior to the reboot.
I'll keep Resource Monitor and Mask Manager open from now on, maybe I'll notice something next time it freezes.
Any other idea ? ^^

Ralston18

Titan
Just observe one or the other: i.e. Resource Monitor or Task Manager. One at a time - not together.

Remember you can sort the column'svalues in ascending or descending order by clicking the column headers.

Graphical presentations may make some issue stand out.

Reactions: schklom
Jun 23, 2019
In case someone else has the same problem, I found a fix for me but can't explain why it works.
Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (the one that's active) -> Processor Power Management -> Maximum processor state -> set both to 75%

Status
Not open for further replies.