Windows 10 Will Ship With DirectX 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

MumblinBerk

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Sounds great. Looks exciting. Closer access to the hardware layer would be great. But, will MS now deny Win7 users access to DX12, to force migration to 9? Oh, sorry, Win 10?

voreo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Heres to hoping the pricing rumors of 10 are true, then it wont matter, everyone should be able to move on a lot smoother , provided the final product is also a relief to businesses.

I loved the transition to 8/8.1 but i would like to see all the flack ms received from 8 vanish

MumblinBerk

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

That is very, very unlikely.

I'm hoping the whole event can be used to bring MS and it's CUSTOMERS closer.
It is a learning opportunity. A direction change would be good for everyone.

Distribution of DirectX 12 to existing Win7 users would be an EXCELLENT place to start,
by engendering good will, and begin to re-establish trust with it's loyal customer base.

Again... very, very unlikely.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Sounds great. Looks exciting. Closer access to the hardware layer would be great. But, will MS now deny Win7 users access to DX12, to force migration to 9? Oh, sorry, Win 10?

I feel that Windows 7 users are slowly but surely becoming the next generation of stubborn, entitled XP users who never move forward.

Brainaic

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
DirectX12.....great, I'm happy, but PC gamers are forever held back by the consoles, which most games are made for, and you won't see 4K or DX12 games on those crap-boxes

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Windows 10 looks like a step in the right direction. I guess businesses refusing to upgrade to 8 forced them to bring back the desktop and start menu. Also, is there a reason other than monetary why dx 12 is exclusive to windows 10?!!!

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Windows 10 looks like a step in the right direction. I guess businesses refusing to upgrade to 8 forced them to bring back the desktop and start menu. Also, is there a reason other than monetary why dx 12 is exclusive to windows 10?!!!
Businesses who were refusing to do that were stupid nitwits.
The ONLY thing that Windows 8 had different than Windows 7 was that they went with a full-screen start menu, which was what they should have done YEARS ago.
No more 'fumbling with folders' in order to find something, just punch in the first few letters of the applications name, if the app was not already pinned to Start... BOOM! Done.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I think it will be exclusive to Windows 10 as their pain selling point for gamers to switch from windows 8/7. Windows 8 is like the new Vista in rep and Windows 7 is like the new XP in rep. MS's main competitor to Windows 10 will be their own Windows 7. I mean business just upgraded within the past year to Windows 7 to xp, so you know they aren't going to upgrade to Windows 10 anytime soon and the vast majority of offices won't even use DirectX in their line of work so upgrading for that purpose alone won't mean anything to them.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Hopefully DirectX 12 will be supported on Windows 7, otherwise we'll get the DirectX 10 problem. This is where people still had Windows XP, and they didn't put DirectX 10 on it. Game makers were nervous about making 2 versions of the PC executable. If they targeted only Windows Vista, then they cut out those running XP.

It seems like DirectX 12 will be on 7. Then again, if they don't put it in 7, OpenGL, Mantle, and whatever else will end up destroying DirectX

hannibal

Distinguished
Win7 feature upgrade time is over, so not likely... Win8 can get new features some time yet, and 8.1 a little bit longer. And yeas, you are right. It will take long time to see full dx12 support in the games. After 2020 when win7 will be out of security upgrades, the DX12 will get more support, because, there will be movement to new os versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.