[SOLVED] Windows 10 won't boot after changing boot settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2020
Short story.

I went into startup and recovery, and under startup, I changed which windows 10 was selected; I have four in the drop-down menu for some reason, and now it is stuck in a boot loop. It will post past bios and start to boot windows for half a second then it restarts.

Long story.

A long time ago, at a place not too far from where I am now, I had a hard drive that was encrypted with veracrypt.

One day veracypt tried to commit suicide and take my hard drive with it. I managed to save the hard drive and uninstalled veracrypt however, it left the veracrypt bootloader behind.

As it left behind the bootloader, windows could not update properly, so I had to disable auto-updates altogether.

It has been a few years, and some friends wanted to play Minecraft together, so I thought why not. I went to install MC windows 10 edition but it would not let me as my version was not up to date. So I tried again to get windows to update but to no avail. It would get to 70 percent restart, show the bootloader, go past the loader and flash the blue windows update screen, then reboot. It would come back up saying that it reverted to the previous version.

I then tried to find a way to remove the bootloader but only found stuff for UEFI system installs, mine is bios.

It was getting late, and I should have gone to bed as I was exhausted from the day. But I didn't. Instead, I made my way into the startup and recovery options and clicked the drop-down that is under startup. It showed four windows 10 in the list, and I clicked one of them, thinking, "I'll try this one, and if it does not work, I'll just change it".

Well, as you might have guessed, it doesn't work. It got stuck in a boot loop, and I hope that someone here might be able to help me fix my mistake.

I did a system restore point the day before I did this, but I can not get to it to use it.

Thank you for your assistance.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
roll back system

i don't think your problem is in the bios, its windows. you need to fix the partition on the hdd.
The command in Windows 8/8.1/10 for fixing MBR is "bootsect.exe".
bootsect /nt60 drive_letter: /mbr

this fixes boot record of partition mapped to "drive_letter:" and the MBR of the disk where the partition is placed.
C:\Windows\system32>bootsect

bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/force] [/mbr]

Boot sector restoration tool

Bootsect.exe updates the master...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
roll back system

i don't think your problem is in the bios, its windows. you need to fix the partition on the hdd.
The command in Windows 8/8.1/10 for fixing MBR is "bootsect.exe".
bootsect /nt60 drive_letter: /mbr

this fixes boot record of partition mapped to "drive_letter:" and the MBR of the disk where the partition is placed.
C:\Windows\system32>bootsect

bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/force] [/mbr]

Boot sector restoration tool

Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions in order to
switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot
sector on your computer.

Run "bootsect /help" for detailed usage instructions.

Alternatively you can use "Dual-boot Repair Tool" which has a graphical interface to bcdboot.exe, bootsect.exe and other useful functions like boot sector view and ... one click dual-boot repair function for Windows 10/8/7/Vista (also can fix Windows XP boot files).
https://superuser.com/questions/949219/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-boot-loader-from-windows

Reactions: DovahDeinmaar
Solution
Nov 19, 2020
I am getting this error when I try to use system restore.

To use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore.
Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select system restore.

Edit:

Using the command line on the USB, I ran the command bootrec /scanos and it found one windows install at C:Windows, which is the one I am trying to fix. I don't know why it is saying that I need to select an os when it can find it when it scans for it.

I also tried using bootsect and nothing worked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.