[SOLVED] Windows 11 – How usable is it right now?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I’m setting up my new 12th Gen build for Gaming and Music Production (Ableton 10/11) and I’m wondering just how usable is Win 11 at the moment?

I know some software or versions of; and some games will either only work on Win 11 or will work better…

So either I could dual boot or just go 11…. Right now I’m thinking maybe I should just go 11 if it’s good enough to use as my main OS?

For reference - I'm coming from Win 8 - never really used 10 or 11.

What are the main issues right now?

Would love to hear from people who’ve been using it for a while in particular!

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Solution
Personally I don't have any issues with windows 11.
Have been using it since release.

There were some minor cosmetic issues in the beginning like
missing ribbon menus in explorer,​
broken windows security center link,​
icon spacing.​
But you can easily find fixes for those. It's all good now.
D

Deleted member 14196

there are not really many "issues" except they changed things.

If you like Win10 style and ribbons you can configure and debloat windows 11 with this utility

GitHub - builtbybel/ThisIsWin11: The real PowerToys for Windows 11

excellent tool to debloat the OS and disable all the telemetry and such. Also easily shuts down unneeded services. All configurable by you, the user. I've tested it in VMs and it works excellent. I will use this when I finally install Win11 as my daily driver

so get latest release of TIW11.zip and unzip and run the exe, use the controls along the left side to see all the powerful mods you can do all from this GUI, no monkeying with registry or doing anything with powershell. easy for users to configure win11 how they like it.

USAFRet

Titan
On my new main system, fully immersed in Win 11 for about a week.
Zero issues.

Sure, there are some things to get used to. Some controls and functions in different places. Just a matter of getting used to it.
Just like every other OS change. Same things, in different places.

But thats about it.

Personally I don't have any issues with windows 11.
Have been using it since release.

There were some minor cosmetic issues in the beginning like
missing ribbon menus in explorer,​
broken windows security center link,​
icon spacing.​
But you can easily find fixes for those. It's all good now.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Been on in since August, no problems.
Its as stable as windows 10 is.

They switched settings around to make it look different. Main differences are visual it seems.

I used to look for differences, now I probably need to run win 10 in a VM to notice.

Hello

I’m setting up my new 12th Gen build for Gaming and Music Production (Ableton 10/11) and I’m wondering just how usable is Win 11 at the moment?

I know some software or versions of; and some games will either only work on Win 11 or will work better…

So either I could dual boot or just go 11…. Right now I’m thinking maybe I should just go 11 if it’s good enough to use as my main OS?

For reference - I'm coming from Win 8 - never really used 10 or 11.

Thank you for your help
It's very usable. There are some minor issues/annoyances but nothing earth shattering.
With Alder Lake CPUs you'll definitely want to use Windows 11 until Microsoft gets around to enabling the 'thread director' in Windows 10. (if they ever do)

No need to dual boot but you should test beforehand. It's going to be very different than Windows 8. Do you have a spare drive you can install, alone to test Windows 11 for a day, with all your apps/games/etc. installed? A day of testing is easily worth being able to pop your Windows 8 drive back in your system if a necessary app doesn't work properly or you just don't like it.