News Windows 11 Encryption May Damage Data, Microsoft Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know operating system design is hard. But with all the serious bugs/security flaws on windows... including now the risk for potential data loss from merely encrypting your data, how and why is Windows a paid operating system?

Reactions: Grobe

toooooot

Prominent
Aug 2, 2022
Oh windows 11... You are just the gift that keeps on giving.
I am gonna make a prediction. Windows 12 will be much more polished and will lose most of the win 11 problems.
We will check it then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 12 will be win 11 with a different UI, just as every previous version of windows has been going back to win xp.
So don't expect miracles from it. It won't be any different. They just build on the remains of the previous each time.
Win 11 is just win 10 with a face lift.
win 10 is just win 8.1...
I could go on.

Why anyone thinks one version is better than next or previous makes me wonder.
bitlocker in 10, maybe it get same patches...

....bitlocker in 10, maybe it get same patches...
BitLocker in Windows 10 doesn't (currently) rely on the instructions causing the problem in Windows 11. If that gets backported then all H.E. double hockey sticks will break loose. We've got thousands of encrypted laptops here at the bank that could potentially be affected.

BitLocker in Windows 10 doesn't (currently) rely on the instructions causing the problem in Windows 11. If that gets backported then all H.E. double hockey sticks will break loose. We've got thousands of encrypted laptops here at the bank that could potentially be affected.

I have a pending submitted ticket for external USB Drive Dock corruption under windows 10. I switched both the drive, and the dock model, both of which worked for YEARS on bitlocker beforehand. Bitlocker would last a day before the drive was corrupted again with a fresh format.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
You lose ALL access to the encrypted volume/s instantaneously. There is no recovery from this other than to revert to backups.

Right well that's better than finding SOME of your precious photos & videos are unplayable a year from now and you have no backup. At least you know it's gone and can run the restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS