News Windows 11: Everything You Need to Know

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting about TPM 2.0. I dont' think a lot of home builders buy TPM chips and install them.
It's funny, I always thought my mobo had a TPM because Windows reports that I have one, but thanks to your post I double checked and it doesn't. Turns out what I'm probably using is Intel PTT (platform trust technology), which is a firmware implementation of TPM that appears as the real thing to the OS. AMD has an equivalent fTPM.

So I don't think the TPM requirement would be an issue for most people, as their CPUs will provide a FW based TPM even if they lack a discrete module.

Giroro

Splendid
Its 2021. Everybody and their dog is out there making "content". Windows does not include even a basic video/audio editor, and HEVC decoding is still an optional upcharge.

Yes I know it has the useless "does whatever it wants" editing in the photos app, but that doesn't even come close to the baseline windows XP level of "cut a single long clip down and throw some text on for youtube, maybe with music"

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Still doesn't address the issue of what happens when I try to upgrade my 4 PC's on various Windows 10 installs, with no clear way to see which keys are being used. Looks like I'll be using the same "key" again.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
The TPM is the first of a number of reasons I think I will pass. Next, can I rip out and remove Team and Gamepass? How about Edge? I want to customize my operating system the way I want to use it. How about OneDrive and Contra - are they both still forced on people?

And of course M$ is lying if they say only 2GB of RAM :LOL: - which doesn't matter since I have 16 GB RAM installed.

Reactions: Kridian

Giroro

Splendid
Would it be too much to ask for a hardware monitor capable of telling people when their CPU is overheating? Particularly, without needing admin privileges just to see a basic temperature.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Micro$oft has released a PC Health Check program to see if your computer is able to upgrade to Windoze 11. I failed - and it failed to tell me why. Since I built the computer myself I am guessing it is because I do not have TPM2.0 dongle installed. I am kind of glad, I don't want to have to unplug my ethernet cable to avoid being connected to M$ to do an upgrade/fresh install. I already use Linux a fair amount, guess I will be using it a lot more.

USAFRet

Titan
Micro$oft has released a PC Health Check program to see if your computer is able to upgrade to Windoze 11. I failed - and it failed to tell me why. Since I built the computer myself I am guessing it is because I do not have TPM2.0 dongle installed. I am kind of glad, I don't want to have to unplug my ethernet cable to avoid being connected to M$ to do an upgrade/fresh install. I already use Linux a fair amount, guess I will be using it a lot more.
There is almost certainly nothing wrong with the current Windows version you're using now (Win 10?).

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
There is almost certainly nothing wrong with the current Windows version you're using now (Win 10?).
You mean other than being Windoze? Isn't that a problem to begin with - security, privacy, bloatware, not properly optimized for CPUs and GPUs, and it just being from Micro$oft? I am running Win 10 Pro so I do have a bit more control such as to when updates get installed. I have managed to strip out the stuff I don't need yet Micro$oft tries to integrate into the system, and no I do not mean Candy Crush, I mean things like the new weather and news widget (anyone remember Vista?) and OneDrive.

I am sure that when I build my next computer I will have Win 11 installed on it, as I don't plan to build it until the next generation or two of Zen is out, and if M$ gets rid of the requirement for the OS to phone home and for you to have a M$ account. Yet I am happy to stay with Win 10 Pro for the next few years, and whatever version Mint is on (dual boot).

Reactions: Kridian
D

Deleted member 14196

I say if you don’t like windows than use something else

I just read the whole article, and I have to say the only thing I found that sounds kinda interesting for me: DirectStorage Helps Load Times

I found really funny, the "New Start Menu" Whats new abou it?, is the same thing moved to the center, and without the live tiles that no one used anyways. Oh but wait, it now have brand new colorful icons!, wow Icons!

The rest if the stuff is basically how can microsoft force you to install, and have stuff that you don't need, use, or want in your PC.

But oh well, we all knew Windows 10 was not the last windows. From the start it was really a bad idea comercially speaking. Whats the point of buying a new computer if the old one works ok, and the new one comes with the same Windows version..... now if the new one have Windows 11, thats something clueless people may want to purchase.

No mention of a new DirectX version, I guess with the new consoles been soo recent its not a good time to launch something new right now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No mention of a new DirectX version, I guess with the new consoles been soo recent its not a good time to launch something new right now.
Direct X 12 Ultimate is part of win 11

DirectX 12 Ultimate is available with supported games and graphics chips.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-11-specifications

if anything a new version of DX12 that works on PC and XBOX is good for MS consoles. not so much sony

Reactions: RodroX
A LOT of regular people neither know nor care about 'versions'.

A new PC comes with 'windows', that's what they use.
Very very few will buy a new PC just because it has Win 11.

Yeah I know most people just don't care, but you should see guys and gals I come cross at work, they have no idea whats the use or point of some new tech, but they always want the last of everything.... politicians, they are very "special" and clueless people (at least the ones I have to deal with).

Direct X 12 Ultimate is part of win 11

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-11-specifications

if anything a new version of DX12 that works on PC and XBOX is good for MS consoles. not so much sony

You are right about that , but thats just a sort of revision with some improvements. And yes if the ecosystem of PC and XBOX can use it and come even closer togheter, it may become an advantage for MS over Sony. Time will tell I guess.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Some (a lot?) of versions (distros) of Linux support the secure boot feature, and so that is not a problem for me. I just don't like M$ telling me I have to have and enable the TPM chip. And as mentioned in another thread, what happens if a motherboard dies, can you move and recover your HDD/SSD to a new motherboard?

I am getting to the point where I play fewer and fewer games, just concentrating on a couple. When those few games are all available natively on Linux I am done with windoze. Right now I do dual boot, and in the past I have even built my own Linux kernel using Gentoo.

At some point I will have to become familiar with Win 11 because I provide support to people that will most likely be using it, even if they don't know what version of windoze they use.

So windoze 11 will be DirectX12 with all options enabled? I know some people using old computers that can't even get past DirectX9, much less DX11 or DX12 - they will be screwed and not able to use the new version of windoze.

Jun 25, 2021
The TPM is usually not a problem even with home-built systems. There are settings in both Intel and AMD motherboards to turn it on or to use a firmware version. Apparently, motherboards back five or more years generally can support either TPM 2.0 or 1.2. So no rush to buy new hardware, as I almost did. Secure boot needs to be on too.

I have Windows 11 running now. No dramas with a clean install after the BIOS changes. Seems compatible with Windows 10 software and drivers. Updates ok. Works ok. Not sure why they needed a new version.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

friedpenguin

Reputable
Nov 26, 2016
Let's clear some things up for you folks. TPM module is NOT a requirement. Modern CPU supports TPM on die. Just enable it in the BIOS. Secure Boot is NOT required. UEFI is. MS account is NOT required. Press Alt F4 at the user creation window and it will refresh with a local account window.

Let's clear some things up for you folks. TPM module is NOT a requirement. Modern CPU supports TPM on die. Just enable it in the BIOS. Secure Boot is NOT required. UEFI is. MS account is NOT required. Press Alt F4 at the user creation window and it will refresh with a local account window.
I have a 1 year old ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus MB with and AMD 2700X . fTPM is activated. I am Using UEFI. Secure Boot is available but not activated. Still not eligible to upgrade to Windows 11.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Secure Boot is available but not activated
could be you need to have secure boot enabled to be eligible but you won't know as test isn't specific enough

clearly they need a more informative update to the tool that explains exactly why it won't update, then user could at least maybe know what to upgrade if they can.

I expect hardware makers need to react in some way.

djroff

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
Secure Boot does need to be active, as well as TPM enabled. The question I still haven't found an answer to is, Will I be able to turn off Secure Boot and/or TPM after upgrading, without causing some sort of problem? Although it's not a complete deal-breaker, I do keep multiple operating systems on my PCs, and I've typically kept those two functions turned off -- TPM because I don't use encryption and saw no other need for it, and Secure Boot because it too often prevents booting a non-Windows OS at all. I have no problem enabling those two things in order to upgrade, but I don't want to disable them afterward and find that my whole computer is suddenly a brick.

TRENDING THREADS