Question Windows 11 file loss

Dec 12, 2021
Hi I am new here but it's because I need to try and fix a file issue with windows 11, I updated to Windows 11 from Windows 10 about 2 months ago (rough guess)
After the update I turned my system off as was late at night and then didn't really boot pc again till today.

When I went to load up some music I couldn't find any music files and so I checked other things such as pictures and documents and there was nothing there, now I know people will ask when I updated did I click clean install but I defo clicked keep all files etc and did not do a clean wipe.

All of Mt games are all still installed with all Game save files available I also have dated files in my downloads folder from like a year ago so I know I defo didn't do a c drive clean or chose clean install so now I have come to the conclusion they have got to be hidden somewhere but there is no folder in c called windows.old either in desperate need of help.

Also to add on to this problem I have gone to back up previous version or files whatever its called and it days there is no backup is available.

Last edited:
"Couldn't find any music files"............

Have you used a search tool on the drive for something like:

Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line.mp3

or whatever song titles you would expect to find.

"Everything" from voidtools.com is highly recommended. It will find files in 1 second flat if you know part or all of the file name.

Dec 12, 2021
"Couldn't find any music files"............

Have you used a search tool on the drive for something like:

Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line.mp3

or whatever song titles you would expect to find.

"Everything" from voidtools.com is highly recommended. It will find files in 1 second flat if you know part or all of the file name.
i have searched for mp3 files yes and nothing shows up

not used void tools no

Dec 12, 2021
its pictures mainly i want back but how can they go when i clicked keep files and all my old dated files in downloads are still there?
They must be hidden somewhere, it can't just delete them and not the other files surely ?

Dec 12, 2021
Expecting? No.

Could be any reason; doesn't much matter now.

I'd use Everything from voidtools to confirm your other search tool, whatever it was. Windows built in search is clunky unless you are quite experienced with it.
i used that voidtools and it found zero for any files i can reember the name of

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
i used that voidtools and it found zero for any files i can reember the name of
Sadly it means they are gone.

Always do backups, no matter what the program says, things like this can happen.

I would also advise against having anything remotely important, such as images etc. on your c drive only.

It's a shame it happened to you, but take it as a lesson learned if nothing else.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you checked inside the Window.old file?
If you did the upgrade that should be tucked away, although I think it's only supposed to keep that on hand for a short while after an update before it will purge it. Basically should be a shapshot of your system as it was on 10. Check the user file folders.

Did you move the directories at some point within 10? IE you can tell W10 to place the "music" folder elsewhere. You have searched the supplemental drive(s) that is/was connected to this PC for those files?

Dec 12, 2021
I have not got that folder to check windows.old, it is nowhere to be found.

Yes I have searched them, done a tree search thing and wiztree, used voidfiles search system and nothing but if they have gone why have the download files not been deleted that's what's confusing ?