[SOLVED] [Windows 11] It looks like all my peripherals are resetting every few minutes or so, how can I fix?

May 27, 2022
My peripherals have started randomly disconnecting/reconnecting for a split second, mainly those on USB. And it's all of them together at once.

I went looking around, and have tried:
  1. Disabling my USB Selective Suspend Setting under my Power Plan and USB Controller in the Device Manager
  2. Unplugging/Replugging all peripherals and inspecting wires for damage
  3. Uninstalling all USB Controllers and rebooting with all peripherals disconnected, then plugging them in one by one to reinstall the drivers. Restarted again after all were plugged in.
  4. Running sfc scannow, DISM check disk. (No issues discovered)
  5. Fully updated Windows and any other drivers with the Intel Driver Utility.
Im at a loss as to what to try next, any ideas welcome.

Solution
It could be a signal issue, but more likely it is a power issue. A single malfunctioning device can cause this with everything on the root HUB, but that malfunction could be from power issues and not really anything being wrong with the individual devices or signal. You can get an external HUB which has its own power supply, and this does two things:
  • Removes the power requirement from PC and puts it on the external power.
  • Increases the amount of total power allowed for those devices.
So I'd try an external HUB first and see if it is power related.
It could be a signal issue, but more likely it is a power issue. A single malfunctioning device can cause this with everything on the root HUB, but that malfunction could be from power issues and not really anything being wrong with the individual devices or signal. You can get an external HUB which has its own power supply, and this does two things:

Solution
May 27, 2022

Looks like one of my peripherals, a cheap webcam, is having really inconsistent data feed, possibly a source of malfunctioning? And unplugging it I don't see the issue, but if it was itself also drawing too much power then that would also explain why its working now.

Using an external powered hub I scrounged up, I am not seeing the same issue as often, but it still appears roughly every 20 min or so (webcam plugged in).

Last edited:
Using an external powered hub I scrounged up, I am not seeing the same issue as often, but it still appears roughly every 20 min or so (webcam plugged in).

You can sometimes use a HUB to work as an adapter to isolate bad signal quality to just one device. There is a difference between putting all of the old USB devices on the new HUB with power, which will solve most power issues, but if only the suspect webcam is on the new HUB, then it can help isolate bad signal issues as well. There is, however, something in the better HUBs called a "transaction translator" ("TT") which would in theory help avoid signal issues between two ports of a single HUB when each port has a TT, but in my experience it is only partially a fix for this, and not all HUBs have this (a TT adapts the speed of the device to the bus inside the HUB so the bus does not have to slow down if the device is slower than the bus...this would be a "multi-TT" HUB so each device can have its own TT and essentially be "speed isolated" from the bus). So try this with both "all original devices on the externally powered HUB", and also with "just the suspect device on the powered HUB, but other devices on the old HUB".

EDI T: Also, don't forget that there might be a second device involved. It seems obvious the webcam is part of the issue, but perhaps there is also another device which is only slightly marginal, and that other device would be an issue other than power delivery.

My peripherals have started randomly disconnecting/reconnecting for a split second, mainly those on USB. And it's all of them together at once.

I went looking around, and have tried:
  1. Disabling my USB Selective Suspend Setting under my Power Plan and USB Controller in the Device Manager
  2. Unplugging/Replugging all peripherals and inspecting wires for damage
  3. Uninstalling all USB Controllers and rebooting with all peripherals disconnected, then plugging them in one by one to reinstall the drivers. Restarted again after all were plugged in.
  4. Running sfc scannow, DISM check disk. (No issues discovered)
  5. Fully updated Windows and any other drivers with the Intel Driver Utility.
Im at a loss as to what to try next, any ideas welcome.

-you might also need to go and disable the selective suspend in your hid devices.

if you can not figure out the issue, you would update the bios, update the chipset drivers, update the drivers for each usb device. if you still have the problem:

google "how to force a windows memory dump via keyboard" make the registry changes.

change the memory dump type to kernel,

boot the system let it run until you see the problem then force a memory dump on the working system. put the kernel dump on a cloud server, share it for public access and post a link. I can take a look at the internal logs to see what is going on with your usb subsystem.

most of the time it will be a device going to sleep and not waking up, then some device tries to reset the host and all the devices connected have issues.

there can be several other causes but you need a kernel dump to check for them.

also a device taking too much power from the usb will reset the hub unless you have a special driver. this was common when people started connecting apple devices to their pc.
now some pc have special apple charging usb ports that ignore the usb power limits. shorts on the port will cause the port to cycle on and off every second. really causes screwy issues.
sometimes you can run this tool and see the errors on the port.
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
it is a german website but the tool works pretty well
I have used it to find bad ports that I had to disable in bios since I could never fix them. or to find ports that had the usb connector incorrectly inserted on the pins of a motherboard header.

also, you should go into windows device manager, find the option to show hidden devices. find the greyed out devices and remove the software. when usb devices are removed, the driver is only hidden and not removed. I have seen bad drivers from removed devices grab the packets needed for new devices and not pass them to the new device. really caused a lot of problems.
(old logitech driver from 2010 did that, took a while to figure out, the bug shows up when the device is not the last device in the chain of devices) in this case the driver would grab the usb packet and not pass it on to the next device. the next device would not get its packet and would request it again, after a time the device would try to reset the host controller thinking it had failed. all due to a hidden driver from a removed device taking the packets and returning not supported error code.

Last edited: