News Windows 11 LTSC 2024 arrives making TPM and Secure Boot optional — lower storage requirements, too

Albert.Thomas

Prominent
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
"In other words, this version of Windows is not for your desktop or laptop computer, but rather for custom appliance-type devices you might encounter or use that need an operating system."

And it's the only version of Windows that I am interested in, speaking as a consumer who is fed up with the crap that Microsoft is forcing down our throats with Windows 11 Home and Professional.

Reactions: abufrejoval

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
yeah light on ressources, and started services .... thats why you can run on low ram count

This should be a real pc version, get rid of all the useless crap

BUT SW side : as soon you install softs, they too crap windows ....

System Requirements for Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2024
Header Cell - Column 0Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2024Header Cell - Column 2
ComponentPreferred minimum requirementsOptional minimum requirements
Processor1 GHz, 2 cores1 GHz, 2 cores
System memory4GB2 GB
Storage size64GB16 GB
Storage typeSSDSSD, HDD, Hybrid Hard Drive, Flash
System firmwareUEFIBIOS
TPMTPM 2.0Optional
Secure BootEnabledOptional
DirectXDirectX 12DirectX 10 / none
Display9-inch diagonal, 720p HDCustom size / optional

So great news. So for all the road blocks and the work arounds to make Windows 11 work on non supported shiny new parts. Microsoft goes and does it itself. :popcorn:

Reactions: Albert.Thomas
It was always possible.
Just unadd the specific requirements.
Your absolutes right but now Microsoft Official. That's the big news here. Just very interesting move from Microsoft almost 4 years after Windows 11 hit the market.
But so many myths about Windows 11 even if you did the bypass on non supported hardware has just been made moot.

How many people have came here for help and were sent packing with that same question. How do I install Windows 11 on old system.

Most answers were you need an new system, end of subject.

And if you get it working it will fail, or Microsoft will send a magic bullet and disable your Windows 11 install on non supported CPU's.

Those new system requirement are so low compared someone who came here with a I7 7700 and were told nope your system is crap not good enough for Windows 11.

How many people have trashed there perfectly functioning still capable PC over a Microsoft soft lock with system requirements that now will let a 1 GHz, 2 cores run this new Enterprise version.

USAFRet

Titan
Your absolutes right but now Microsoft Official. That's the big news here. Just very interesting move from Microsoft almost 4 years after Windows 11 hit the market.
But so many myths about Windows 11 even if you did the bypass on non supported hardware has just been made moot.

How many people have came here for help and were sent packing with that same question. How do I install Windows 11 on old system.

Most answers were you need an new system, end of subject.

And if you get it working it will fail, or Microsoft will send a magic bullet and disable your Windows 11 install on non supported CPU's.

Those new system requirement are so low compared someone who came here with a I7 7700 and were told nope your system is crap not good enough for Windows 11.

How many people have trashed there perfectly functioning still capable PC over a Microsoft soft lock with system requirements that now will let a 1 GHz, 2 cores run this new Enterprise version.
Right.

But MS had been pushing the TPM requirement for years.
Manufacturers pushed back.

The requirement still holds for Home and Pro.

Workarounds? Sure.
Which may or may not last.

People that trashed perfectly working Win 10 systems just to go to Win 11....I can't use the word for that in polite company.
Win 10 still has a year+ of viability.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
The problem with going Enterprise route is that you can't just get Windows 11 Enterprise client and not join it to a domain because quite a number of group policies that control all the advertising junk, recommendations, and data siphoning won't work without domain. You are looking at the cost of Enterprise license + Windows Server Standard License at the minimum.

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
I honestly dont understand what MS is trying to tell us.

Their communication about Win11 has been disastrous but the reality is, as good as Linux currently is, corporate wont switch until Adobe, MS and others offer their wares on it.

That said, Linux is not making this easy, imagine this:

Adobe PM: ok, time has come for us to stop ignoring Apple snd MS bribes which states no linux versions of our software, so lets proceed.

Adobe engineers: finally! So where do we start, x86, AMD64, ARM32 or ARM64?

APM: hmm, lets go for AMD64.

AENG: cool, so…deb, rpm or tar?

Or appimage, flatpack or snaps?

Also, should we target GTK (Gnome) or QT (KDE)?

Adobe PM: Forget it, lets just keep taking apple and MS bribes and dont mention we spoke about this.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
The problem with going Enterprise route is that you can't just get Windows 11 Enterprise client and not join it to a domain because quite a number of group policies that control all the advertising junk, recommendations, and data siphoning won't work without domain. You are looking at the cost of Enterprise license + Windows Server Standard License at the minimum.
Been using enterprise clients without a domain basically since they were invented and never had any issue disabling the junk settings. Got the home-lab running on a Windows 2022 server and a mix of Windows 10 and 11 clients (most is really Linux) very much in a "Windows 3.11 for workgroups" setup just fine, with file and printer shares working and zero AD anywhere. Mostly, because I don't believe in creating a single point of failure when I don't need one.

Except that doing those privacy settings it is a nuisance, you have to do it on every machine and to a certain degree for every user. It's one of the things I like about Windows 2022 server: It comes without most of the junk by default! And still works very much like a desktop, except for some vendors like AMD cheaping out on driver signatures. Otherwise I'd run server 2022 on all machines just for not having the junk! (MAK keys help)

There is still the local policy editor which you can use for things like deactivating "com-plot", perhaps also recall.

And I'm sometimes using NTlite to set these policies on the image to cut down on these repetitive settings, eleminate modules I don't want (even Edge!) and I deactivite the user experience daemon, which seems to be the main conduit for phoning home.

In short, in my experience there is nothing an Enteprise client variant will not be able to do that the lesser variants can.

While I'm waiting for the LTSC image to arrive, I've just done a IoT 23H2 installation on a Skylake laptop, which normally won't accept such an older machine, even if it is actually functionally identical to Kaby Lake variants that are "acceptable"...

Rufus eliminated the stupid obstacles and IoT meant that I didn't even have to use an activation key, which is rather useful since this is on a SATA-SSD in a caddy that's moved between systems quite normally. Normal enterprise variants with a MAK move easily enough but may want an extra reboot after moving between hosts.

Only getting it on a fast USB stick for that extra mobility still requires a disk management tool. Microsoft still doesn't want to you install on USB by default...

I got MSDN from my employer so I don't have to organize my lab around M$ licensing obstacles. If it wasn't for that, I'd have long gone Linux exclusive, just because of the overhead!

And here is a bit of heresy: Windows images move and upgrade far more easily between hosts than any normal Linux these days. I got Windows 11 images that started as Windows 7 and have moved and multiplied and upgraded among dozens of physical and virtual machines. The Windows 7 style user icons (e.g. guitar) prove it!

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
This is quite simply the standard edition that everybody should get by default, especially with 10 years of support from now.

If anyone wants the other crap, fine, get the option or "upgrade".

And everybody should have the right to get this edition without entering some indenture with Microsoft or anyone else.

And of course it disproves rather publically what everyone with a bit of technical insight knew from the start: that there is any technical reason for what they did before.

It was quite simply collusion with vendors who want to sell shiny new hardware even if the "old" stuff is still quite adequate.

Same with all this AI crap they are pushing now.

I earn my salary with AI, but it doesn't mean I believe that there is reasonable consumer value anywhere within reach or that what vendors push in consumer hardware today will ever provide enough AI value to consumers to justify current upgrades.

I'd actually spend extra to ensure these IP blocks remain deactivated until I use them, not some vendor agent in my PC.

can't use the word for that in polite company.
OEuJ0np.jpg

I honestly dont understand what MS is trying to tell us.

Their communication about Win11 has been disastrous but the reality is, as
US?! Nothing at all.
They are telling the big corporations that they will have 10years of relative peace of mid if they dish out for this version, they will be able to keep all their old stuff that still works and does what they want it to do.
If MS could they would still support MS-DOS since a lot of manufacturing and stuff still uses that.

This is quite simply the standard edition that everybody should get by default, especially with 10 years of support from now.
You only get the 10 year support if you actually pay for it...

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
If MS could they would still support MS-DOS since a lot of manufacturing and stuff still uses that.
Funny you mentioned that, i recall some years ago, receiving a help request for a critical system (according to the user).

It was a DOS PC running an ancient parts database.

They tried in the past to convert it to a modern program but the vendor closed shop and nobody was able to finish this.

Since the PC was failing, we moved the whole thing to a VM, until either someone could migrate the data or they could stop needing it.

I feel like I should point out Windows 10 will have had a 10 year support lifetime by the time mainline support ends next year.

The only truly arbitrary part of the Windows 11 system requirements is the CPU cutoff which doesn't pass any logic test in any way. Though that's been true for years as they cutoff Windows 10 22H2 from BDW-E according to their system requirements, but still support BDW. The difference with Windows 11 is that you have to bypass a check, but at least with the CPU check (and technically it can install with TPM 1.2 instead of 2.0 too) there's an official way to bypass it assuming you have Windows already installed.

As for the nonsense Microsoft is pulling with regards to the junk being in Windows they're following the path that consumers laid out with Apple and Google. On the consumer side phones are more prevalent as primary computing device than a home computer is and they spy on you more than Microsoft could dream of. I assume at least most people upset over what Microsoft is doing are also the ones capable of disabling all of it as well. It's an absolutely ridiculous situation, but at the same time I find it hard to be surprised by any of it.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
You only get the 10 year support if you actually pay for it...
That would be true for all editions.

But I have yet to see a payment popup when I hit the "install updates" button.

And quite frankly I don't mind paying reasonable money for a reasonable service.
Perhaps even a bit more, not to have them push their AI and ads into my PC, I prefer to run my own.

What reasonable means is a separate discussion, but since the effort is committed for the base OS until 2034, extra subscribers shouldn't raise it.

Very likely it would still be cheaper than buying new hardware, including a new license.

And if it isn't, well then regulators need to step on some toes, because someone tries to push things into planned obsolescence or fruity cult territory.

Microsoft is trying to push the PC market in that direction, making it a home turf they can rule with absolute power, ideally tied to their AI and cloud.

But PCs are personal computers, not iSlave appliances and to let them remain free, I can only recommend not buying M$ hardware and insist your PCs also work with Linux.

Because once there is no plan B, M$ will spring the trap.