[SOLVED] Windows 11 will not sleep

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
  • HP Omen 30L GT13-1174, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G CPU (6 cores), C: drive is an SSD and that's where Steam and FO4 are installed
  • Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB video card with NVideo Control Panel and NVideo GeForce Experience, GeForce drivers v512.15 (the latest), resolution for desktop and game: 1920x1080
  • Windows 11 Home. DirectX 12
  • One 24.5" monitor, Lenovo with nVideo G-sync 144Hz refresh rate (game only runs at 60Hz)

When I click the Sleep option from the power menu, it often, but not always, goes to some type of image of a snowy scene, with a river, mostly trees, with a nice house near the center of the image. In the lower right of the image appears to be a computer icon, or perhaps it represents a network. If I click the image I go to my Windows 11 desktop. Even after waiting 30 seconds it still doesn't enter sleep mode.

Sometimes it does enter sleep mode so most of the lights inside the case go out, but not the front white diamond.

So the PC doesn't sleep when it should. Is there a way to make it sleep?

Solution
just search for control panel (can find via search or find it in the windows tools menu (its in the apps listing in Start menu)
wkhdvDC.jpg

Control Panel>Choose View by Large Icons>Power Options>Choose what the power buttons do.
its all still there, its just not linked with settings. Its been like that since Win 11 insiders was released
WgkUPQq.jpg

zUSa14a.jpg

Could Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows...

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
Ok. I put the computer to sleep, it showed the snowy scene, and I walked away for 45 minutes and when I came back it was asleep. It just takes a while to do so.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When I click the Sleep option from the power menu, it often, but not always, goes to some type of image of a snowy scene, with a river, mostly trees, with a nice house near the center of the image. In the lower right of the image appears to be a computer icon, or perhaps it represents a network. If I click the image I go to my Windows 11 desktop. Even after waiting 30 seconds it still doesn't enter sleep mode.
that sounds like its putting you on the lock screen which is possibly where it puts you while you in sleep but the monitor should be off.
See if the help here is of use - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...eep-mode/1b7e2ce2-9a6d-4337-89a9-5571be8ad672

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
I double checked this and used a timer. Four minutes after choosing the Windows menu, then Sleep, the PC does not sleep and the monitor is still on. It does go to sleep because of the power config options I chose, but the Sleep option on the Windows menu does not seem to work.

I can't seem to access any advanced options for Power and Sleep, like set what the sleep button does. How do I access the Device Manager on Win 11 to take a look at sleep button configuration to see if I can get the sleep button on my keyboard to work?

I'd like to access the Dev Mgr via the WIN-R run key.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
just search for control panel (can find via search or find it in the windows tools menu (its in the apps listing in Start menu)
wkhdvDC.jpg

Control Panel>Choose View by Large Icons>Power Options>Choose what the power buttons do.
its all still there, its just not linked with settings. Its been like that since Win 11 insiders was released
WgkUPQq.jpg

zUSa14a.jpg

Could Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Could be a program keeping it awake.

Last edited:
Solution

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
The power button on my keyboard works. But the Windows menu item Sleep does not, it only works once in a while. I had similar problems with Windows 10 on another PC but on Win 10 those problems were less comm on.

Now on Win 11 the Sleep menu item rarely works.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it should be the same though, if it sleeps if you use power key there, it should sleep if you use it in windows as well.

I don't use sleep, until recently I didn't use hibernate either. I just turned PC off if I wasn't using it. I did that last night and at one point I woke up and noticed it had turned its rgb on again, so I must have bumped mouse while I was asleep and it had woken. By time I woke up again it was off.

Sometimes it can be old drivers that don't let you sleep. Have you checked the https://support.hp.com/au-en/help/hp-support-assistant to see if its got any new drivers for the Omen?

TRENDING THREADS