Discussion Windows 11?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the massive increase in cores/threads available to the user desktop market, I hope to see better utilization both from an OS as well as a gaming stance. Up and until very recently the biggest "Johnson" on the market has continued to be single core IPC and clock speed.
I don't really see anything wrong with Windows' scheduler outside of the weird quirks it can't account for because processors have "preferred cores." Besides that, for the average Joe a quicker responding OS is better than one that can get more stuff done at once.

As far as better multithread utilization for games, that's up to the developer. The OS has nothing to do with it.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
lol. remove bsod feature. That is part of all windows since XP, its not going anywhere

Only way to make windows perfect is lock it down and then people wouldn't be happy as it would essentially be Mac OS, Look but don't touch. For some users, that would be a good thing as some don't know not to mess with things they don't understand. But just as many would be saying "This is my pc, how dare windows think it can run anything I DON'T WANT" - and often in my eyes they are the same group.

The ones who want micro control should be given an OS where they decide everything, and see how soon they learn that is a dumb idea.

I don't see point in Windows 11. Its not like 10 is broken like 8 was or Vista or ME. I am not saying I love win 10, there are things I wish they had actually finished in it instead of just making it pretty.

Win 11 needs to bring more than just rounded edges to make me want it.
When Windows 10 first came out, they said that would be the last one.They would keep on updating it.Now Windows11 is on the way.Heres a video of the number one Tech guy.He managed to get a copy of the new Windows11.And tried it on virtual machine earlier today.
. Whats your thoughts on it?View: https://youtu.be/odZSCdNTFPw?t=96

Last edited:
Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
When Windows 10 first came out, they said that would be the last one.They would keep on updating it.Now Windows11 is on the way.Heres a video of the number one Tech guy.He managed to get a copy of the new Windows11.And tried it on virtual machine earlier today.
. Whats your thoughts on it?View: https://youtu.be/odZSCdNTFPw?t=96

Yeah, I also have seen the video.
But now there’s also a newer Win11 .ISO out there that can be installed directly on the PC hardware instead of a virtual machine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I guess I just wait for win 12 that fixes everything they mess up in 11. After all, they stumble every 2nd OS, they start to believe their own lies and need to be woken up every other OS.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Will you be able to get a free upgrade to Windows11 , like they did when you went from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Endre

Reputable
I guess I just wait for win 12 that fixes everything they mess up in 11. After all, they stumble every 2nd OS, they start to believe their own lies and need to be woken up every other OS.

Unfortunately, you might be right; Windows - Millennium Edition, Vista, and 8, were all failures.
We’ll see.
Maybe they’ve learned their lessons from past mistakes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Unfortunately, you might be right; Windows - Millennium Edition, Vista, and 8, were all failures.
We’ll see.
Maybe they’ve learned their lessons from past mistakes.
i feel the only things they have learned is how to avoid the win 7/8 situation with win 10/11, and make it have an end date backed into software, and stop us just using win 10, until they make 12 to fix 11. As it is what stunted the growth of 8, making 7 too good. most of us just went nope. and ignored it. They didn't like that, you meant to accept what you given... peasant

You will love only being able to install off the shop.

Now they have people still on 7 though the hoops they have to jump through to get new PC to work on 7 is questionable in its worthiness... 10 isn't that bad. 10 not being bad is what makes selling 11 kind of harder still. It has to be amazing to make me look at it. It seems pointless really.

Sure I would love to be wrong

No one that knows the truth has said anything yet. Perhaps by next Friday we will know more.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
i feel the only things they have learned is how to avoid the win 7/8 situation with win 10/11, and make it have an end date backed into software, and stop us just using win 10, until they make 12 to fix 11. As it is what stunted the growth of 8, making 7 too good. most of us just went nope. and ignored it. They didn't like that, you meant to accept what you given... peasant

You will love only being able to install off the shop.

Now they have people still on 7 though the hoops they have to jump through to get new PC to work on 7 is questionable in its worthiness... 10 isn't that bad. 10 not being bad is what makes selling 11 kind of harder still. It has to be amazing to make me look at it. It seems pointless really.

Sure I would love to be wrong

No one that knows the truth has said anything yet. Perhaps by next Friday we will know more.

Let’s just hope that Satya Nadela was sincere when he praised this new OS.
If Win11 is just as good as Win10 and also has a “better look”, then that’s already a plus. I’ll install it.
But if Win11 it’s full of bloatware then I’ll skip it.

Windows Me and Vista had problems from what I would argue was a rushed release and a sudden change in how system software interacted with the OS, among other things.

For example, if you give Windows Me hardware that was well supported, it doesn't seem to have issues as far as stability goes:

And I experienced a similar thing in Windows 98 SE recently. I had a SoundBlaster Live with two different types of drivers: the more native VxD and the one meant to work with Windows NT. The VxD driver works beautifully. The Windows NT one, even though you can install it and the OS uses it, doesn't really work.

Another thing I would argue with Windows Vista was that UAC forced all accounts to launch apps as a standard user (at least until you elevate it somehow). A lot of apps assumed that you had admin rights by default because the first user account created is an admin. So they'd break horribly in they encountered a problem of access. There was also a strong push from Microsoft to use yet another driver model, and required the graphics drivers to use a new driver model.

The only thing people hated about 8 that I recall was the Start Screen. I mean, I guess the change from Aero to Metro too, but that's a UI preference.

I've used Vista and 8/8.1 as daily drivers for several years, both on pre-built computers and computers I've built myself. I never had a problem with either of them in terms of working with its features ( I don't use the Start Menu with a mouse, I pop it up and type something in the search bar to get what I want) or having issues with stability. But really all it takes to tank an OS's reputation is a few prominent people to say how bad one thing is, even though in reality it may not be that bad or the reviewer doesn't understand the underlying things about some thing they don't like to get a different perspective.

Like for example, it boggles my mind how many people hate UAC because they get annoyed they have to click on a button, but they go use Linux or Mac OS where you have to type in your password to elevate your privileges and don't complain about that. Granted earlier Windows with UAC were overzealous about asking which things needed elevation, but I almost never see UAC prompts in Windows 10 in my day-to-day usage.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had a pc built with vista installed on it and it worked fine for about 6 years until... hardware changes forced an upgrade to win 7. But that wasn't vista's fault.

I expect the pc ME was on that I owned would have made any OS look bad.

Endre

Reputable
Windows Me and Vista had problems from what I would argue was a rushed release and a sudden change in how system software interacted with the OS, among other things.

For example, if you give Windows Me hardware that was well supported, it doesn't seem to have issues as far as stability goes:

And I experienced a similar thing in Windows 98 SE recently. I had a SoundBlaster Live with two different types of drivers: the more native VxD and the one meant to work with Windows NT. The VxD driver works beautifully. The Windows NT one, even though you can install it and the OS uses it, doesn't really work.

Another thing I would argue with Windows Vista was that UAC forced all accounts to launch apps as a standard user (at least until you elevate it somehow). A lot of apps assumed that you had admin rights by default because the first user account created is an admin. So they'd break horribly in they encountered a problem of access. There was also a strong push from Microsoft to use yet another driver model, and required the graphics drivers to use a new driver model.

The only thing people hated about 8 that I recall was the Start Screen. I mean, I guess the change from Aero to Metro too, but that's a UI preference.

I've used Vista and 8/8.1 as daily drivers for several years, both on pre-built computers and computers I've built myself. I never had a problem with either of them in terms of working with its features ( I don't use the Start Menu with a mouse, I pop it up and type something in the search bar to get what I want) or having issues with stability. But really all it takes to tank an OS's reputation is a few prominent people to say how bad one thing is, even though in reality it may not be that bad or the reviewer doesn't understand the underlying things about some thing they don't like to get a different perspective.

Like for example, it boggles my mind how many people hate UAC because they get annoyed they have to click on a button, but they go use Linux or Mac OS where you have to type in your password to elevate your privileges and don't complain about that. Granted earlier Windows with UAC were overzealous about asking which things needed elevation, but I almost never see UAC prompts in Windows 10 in my day-to-day usage.

Yeah.
I was one of those people who simply skipped these editions of Windows.
  1. I used Windows 2000 & skipped Millennium Edition (I used Millennium Edition only to enter DOS menu).
  2. I used Windows XP and XP 64-bit until Windows 7 got released. I’ve skipped completely Vista.
  3. I used Windows 7 until Windows 10 got released. I’ve skipped both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

Microsoft themselves, skipped Windows 9 and released Win10 directly (which is a good OS).

USAFRet

Titan
Didn't microsoft announce a while ago that Windows 10 would be the last OS?
Yes, that was one of the original statements.

Times change. Marketing changes.
Its just a name.

IMHO, this should just have been Win 10 21H2.
But they chose to call it "11".

Name makes no difference. Except to the screeching harpies who proclaim this to be the end of the world.

From what I have observed, whenever MS listens to its community and feedbacks, the resultant Windows version is always better than the times they have blatantly carried on with experimentations and radical changes. We have also seen this with MS 365. Even after a decade the fundamentals of Office apps. remains the same with improvements over and above. It is why Word and Excel still remain popular in spite of similar spin offs. One thing Microsoft did incredibly right with Windows10 is recognize that users don’t want to give up the things that make them comfortable.

Colif

Win 11 Master
are we sure the leaked iso of win 11 is real and not just a hack?

I am sitting on fence until its official.

I haven't seen anything that makes me want it yet. the new start menu? wow. i hardly ever use start menu as is, most days i only open it to shut pc off. New icons... really, so we paying for a new UI? what else? rumour is it removes control panel. no loss to me. they been moving that direction ever since 10 was released. 11 is a tiny step as far as I can see. Give me a full motion desktop or something truly useful. Not more half made features... but this is MS, half made features is their business.

I have bought every other version (except 8) pretty much right away since ME days, so I don't know. it just doesn't seem necessary
I know marketing, new shiny and all that, but win 10's update method meant you could just change it to be whatever you want it to be.
Guess you can't charge same 1 billion people again for a spray paint job of the UI then, can you.

Its funny they can sell it based on a theme when in 95 I had so many free themes its not funny. Progress?

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh good, its got dark mode, i might adjust to it faster if it does. .. at least you can set home key to left corner still and pretend its still win 10

widgets? more crap. I mean, its just the same info as the News & Interests thing. replace live tiles with a widgets menu. at least you can hide the button

win 10 isn't bloated now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.