WINDOWS 7 32 BIT? OR 64 BIT?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

if your processor is 64 bit and your running a 32 bit OS, then that means that the processor needs to to double the operations.

let me explain.

if you run 32 bit windows on a 64 bit processor the processor itself needs to emulate a 32 bit environment to be compatible to the operating system. this slows things down and makes the CPU run twice as hot.

install windows 7 64 bit. during the install the setup will check your cpu and if its not 64 bit, the setup will halt.

if the CPU is 64 bit and the windows 7 version is 64 bit the setup should work fine.

after the install is done and you got all the drivers the processor does not need to run on 32 bit mode unless you run a 32 bit/x86 application.

you will notice the overall heat & fan speed decrease & performance loading apps will be super fast.

i am a self employed computer engineer that does this for a living and ive tested this theory on many laptops and desktops and ot has resolved 95% of my issues with performance.

it makes sense too. having a 64 bit processor,means you should utilize that fact by running a 64 bit operating system. the best so far ive tested and approved for all my clients is

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT.

have trouble finding a copy to test out? PM me for details.

He does provide a laugh, but someone less technically able might believe the rubbish that he spouts. Much as I am in favour of 64-bit OSs I'd hate somebody with a 1GB laptop to install 64-bit Windows 7 because they believed the guy.

Still, I guess now that we have positive proof that he has lied about his identity (aka "Craig") it would be a pretty stupid person who took his advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.