Windows 7 64-bit Creeping Up on 32-bit Installs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]SUBY7[/nom]Hi, I dont like 64 bit because I had lot of problems installing few applications on it. The main is Adobe Acrobat. And after lot of efforts, when I was able to install it successfully, it closes every time when I access it from MS Word 2010. I agree, technically it might be advanced than the 32 bit version and might have slight benefits over 32 bit. But I think that it needs some time for 64 Bit version to become very stable and for its benefits to be practically visible... Thanks. SUBY.[/citation]

Please be truthful when making statements such as this. Adobe acrobat has -zero- problems with NT x64. You do not need "x64" applications to run a x64 OS, their is no compatibility problem with x86 vs x64 apps. The only thing I've ever seen was when an app tried to access older 16-bit common DLL's, those still exist in NT x86 but were completely removed from the 64 bit OS. Also if an app tries to poke around kernel memory space it won't be allowed to do so in x64, even if you have administrator rights. But Adobe acrobat doesn't do anything within kernel land, it just runs out of a folder and the days done with.

apexwm

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hopefully readers of this article realize that the only reason that Windows 7 32-bit has the 4 GB memory cap is because Microsoft chose to do so. The Intel hardware uses PAE which allows a 32-bit operating system to use more than 4 GB of RAM. But since Windows is crippled, it cannot do this. This is why Microsoft has been pushing 64-bit. What a headache. I switched to Linux 2 years ago, and I can run 32-bit Linux with over 4 GB of RAM. In fact, my current machine has 6 GB, and uses ALL 6 GB in 32-bit mode as Intel intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.