Windows 7 64bit compatible wireless adapter>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuvelxD

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Does anyone know of a wireless adapter that is compatible with Windows 7 64bit? I'm stuck using 32bit with only half of my RAM being recognized for the simple fact that I don't have a compatible wireless adapter.

Wireless 802.11n would be preferable of course. Thanks in advance.

Bibble

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
I'm having trouble finding one myself... I've only been able to get my Netgear 802.11g adapter to work, but the data transfer rate over the network is horrible.

ChuvelxD

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

I actually found a D-Link Wireless N PCIe adapter to use. It works well but sometimes it drops connection and I have to restart it. Not often though. The model is DWA-556. Although, im on the market for a Dual band adapter for a dual band router I plan to get. Too much interference in a suburb where every house has like wifi...

Bibble

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
With some experimentation, I was able to get my Netgear Wireless N USB adapter to work last night! It was a combination of using version 2 of their software and exiting out of it just before it asked me to plug in the device.

I had the G adapter working, but it was terribly slow... The N adapter is impressively quick on my network and am very pleased. :D

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I just installed Win 7 64bit today and I dual boot that with my Vista 64bit. I can't find any 64bit drivers for my Belkin Wireless N Network Adapter for Win 7. Only the Vista 64bit drivers and I thought they would work because other 64bit Vista drivers work for Win 7, but I guess not. Hopefully the drivers are out when Win 7 is officially released or I'll be on Vista 64 for a while longer.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I just got my Win 7 drivers working. After 20 boots between Vista and Win 7, I finally got it installed. I had to right click and change compatibility to Vista SP1, and it worked great. Win 7 said it wasn't installed properly, so I checked in Device Manager and it works great. Give that a try and see what happens.

G

Netgear WNDA3100 works perfect with windows 7 64bit

I have an ASUS board with built in wireless and it would disconnect ever minute or so I went out and bought the Netgear and it works 100%

Immolatus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Did you do anything special to get it to work?
I tried compatability mode, using every previous version, XP2 XP3, and Vista, still nothing. The installation from the disk hangs, and the device manager says the device will not start (code 10).
Ive wiped the driver muliple times, used the most recent driver (from Dec 07! lol), updated Windows7, still same issue.

Immolatus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I'm sorry, I meant I cant get the 300N to work, not the Dlink.
It says the device cannot start (Code 10)

RWRamo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hey Bib, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I have a Netgear WG311v2 that has operated the front room box, (visitor entertainment and flaming machine) for years. Killer Kitty killed that box in one fell swoop :non:

So, picked up an HP Compaq at Staples (amd 64x2 cheapie). First thing I ran into was the WG311v2 driver was hard to find but still at netgear. And, it was the same one from years ago. In Win7 Card in only PCI slot and run driver install, it just wanders off behind the trees and falls over.

I was afraid this might be the case. Since IEEE has taken the Hans Blick school of completion and the market is dying to abandon 802.11n for 16e (wimax, 4g, serious wireless) I don't think the manufacturers are real thrilled to be throwing more money into whipping up drivers and installers for another Microsoft OS and certainly before the first SP brings major annoyances.

Too bad I can't train the cat to pull a twisted pair cable through the attic from the front room to the back office with the DSL portal. I know a written in stone fact is I am not going to pay the local electrician $350 just to pull a wire from A to B and leave the bare ends dangling from rough boot kick holes in the walls.

RWRamo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
It may be a bit premature as of yet (pre October 2009) to try microshaft driver vault. I had to send the new HP 5210F back to have the SDHC reader installed they forgot to put into it at the factory assembly in Mexico (hmm). Anyway, last bit of table slapping fun I had with trying to get a Netgear WG311.v2 802.11g PCI card to spring to life on windows 7 home (premium, deluxe whatever they called it) Netgear suggested two courses;
1. Uninstall everything and cold start.
Then install driver from CD (like that really survived the last 5 years duhh. Although the latest driver was available for download (WG311.v2-2007).
Shut down and install the PCI card, Restart.

With that proceedure Windows7 still failed to "discover new hardware - wireless network controler". And Netgear wifi configure utility continues to start then go off to lala land. Wasted effort.

2. Control panel, Hardware manager, properties of unrecognised network controler in PCI slot. from properties, click re-install driver. First choice is go ask microsoft. Not likely to happen if you do not have the wifi working. Searching for local machine driver totally failed to find anything in the "program files (x86)\netgear\wg311v2\" folder of any use.

Netgear wiki seemed to think Microsoft had a "few" drivers in their vualt. However, that is dependent on being able to connect to Mu$ for a looksee.

From one of the other machines here connected to my DSL with 10/100 cable into portal, I was totaly thwarted to find a list of drivers that may be downloaded from mu$ and copied to the machine with the lala lander netgear wifi card.

When the 5210F comes back from HP I will have to try something else. With the lacadaizical attitude at Netgear? Buying another card will not be an acceptable option. They have had months to prepair for win7.

In the meantime, I guess I will pull some wire through the attic and install an ethernet jack in the wall. I did not see anything really mouthwatering offered in the way of an 802.11n home portal (wanted adsl modem, firewall, 802.11.n, gigabit router in one package) so I guess I will make do and see if next wave of tec has their drawers hitched up before they hit the door.

studiogamer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I recently got a computer with Windows 7 on it and am trying to connect it to my netgear dualband router. The equivilent adapters I got for my network don't work with Windows 7 64-bit. I called Netgear and they told me drivers weren't yet available for Windows 7 64-bit support. I'm new to the whole networking thing, so some of this thread confuses me...

Is there a way I can get this adapter to work?

If not - Do I need to buy a different adapter that is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

If so - What adapter should I buy to work with my Netgear Dualband router?

Thanks!

db17k

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

I also have a Belkin wireless N network adapter that was incompatible with windows 7. Although in my case my computer would just freeze randomly when it was installed, also the computer seemed to use a lot more CPU power when i had that card installed. I have since been using an old Airlink card that doesn't perform as well, but my system is stable. I was curious to know how you got your belkin card to work with Win 7 64 bit. I tried to find a compatibility option in device manager, but i couldn't find it. thanks!

freezsbite

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
!!!PLEASE UN-INSTALL KASPERSKY IF ITS IN YOUR COMPUTER!!!

I trusted someone here and purchased Netgear WNA-3100 and it actually worked after few hickups. There was an issue found in Netgear documentation. I un-installed the stupid Kaspersky software as instructed and then installed WNA-3100 successfully on Windows 7 64-bit.

I had tried before with D-Link DWA-125 and Linksys 600N and both had similar problems. I'm suspecting it was same Kaspersky culprit. Anyhow I'll continue to use Netgear now, to give them credit for the excellent support and documentation.

Thanks to person who directed to Netgear, it brought me closer to resolution I was stuck with for about a week.

freezsbite

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
An additional note to above: other protection utilities might behave like KASPERSKEY, so un-install protection then install your driver/hardware & finally re-install protection software.

newpctech

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I have a EDIMAX EW-7811Un Wireless Nano Adapter and am trying to use it on win7 64....so far no luck using the drivers with the product, drivers from the site and a few I looked for on the net from realtek. I assumed it might be DOA so I got another, 8 bucks, it will not see any of the local networks or my neighbors nor will net stumbler see it...

Looks like this is not a alternative for any of you...but I would love to hear if anyone got it to work for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.