Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade to be Sold at Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I thought thats how it worked the first time around.Ah well at least now my dreams have become a reality a hassle free windows version upgrade.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
How does the upgrade work with OEM software? Will I be able to purchase a Dell or HP computer with Home Basic, and buy an upgrade to Home Premium at Best Buy? Will it actually work with the installed OEM version?

gaevs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
@hellwig; it should work, as it worked for Vista, so there should be no problem with OEM.. i think it's designed for that.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Kinda makes you ask, "Why is there more than one price for Windows?" once again, doesn't it?

Good question hellwig, my guess is no, because the OEM versions are far cheaper than the retail ones, and with most computer purchases you don't have the original install disk anyway; you at best have a 'repair' disk, which isn't the same. The difference though is minor, it is just a matter of running out to pick up a new upgrade DVD (or waiting to get one from an etailer) or already having it on a disk in your home/office.

It has long been the practice of hobbyists such as myself to recommend a fresh install over an upgrade install anyway; if you format the hard drive and start from scratch, you start from a clean system, which will run better than upgrading the old one. Any files you want to save can be put on a CD or DVD and loaded back after the new install. This isn't the problem it used to be, but still is a better option for an upgrade - and still a MUST for a re-install. It doesn't matter whether or not you use the same installation disk, the process is the same, and you'll pay for the upgrade, just the same.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
If you have the ultimate version installed from the RC1, how does it work when you want to buy a lower version, say home premium? Will one have to reinstall?

G

Yes, the Windows 7 anytime upgrade will work with OEM copies installed on HP or Dell or any other PC manufacturer. That's the point of selling them at retail, about 90% of computers sold at retail will have Home Premium on them so if you need Professional or want Ultimate you'll have that option without having to pay the full upgrade price. They did this for a while with Vista but I haven't seen it in a year or so. It's actually really convenient for those that want more features than the Basic or Home Premium.

womblez

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
What I would like to know is, can I purchase the key at retail, use it to upgrade say my primary machine, and use the now-freed-up key to run a second install....after all, I will own two licence keys

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]womblez[/nom]What I would like to know is, can I purchase the key at retail, use it to upgrade say my primary machine, and use the now-freed-up key to run a second install....after all, I will own two licence keys[/citation]
Only if the Win7 license is full instead of upgrade

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]That didn't work well with ID Software's shareware Quake CD. Anyone remember Qcrack?[/citation]

I sure do! I still have that CD somewhere in my software collection along with the crack. I believe it was $4.99 at EB Games and the crack unlocked all games on the disc. It was the first time I had ever seen a company do that. I'm surprised MS is contemplating that. They know what will happen if they do, hehe. Or perhaps they think it can't be cracked? LOL

-- MaSoP

wfrantz

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Well, this just means it will be easier to crack all the versions of windows with just one DVD just like vista! yahoo!

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]If you have the ultimate version installed from the RC1, how does it work when you want to buy a lower version, say home premium? Will one have to reinstall?[/citation]
When you're running the RC, Microsoft says you'll have to reinstall regardless, when the final version comes out.

widcard

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Will Windows 7 be a worth while upgrade from XP as far as Gaming Frame Rate is concerned? Are there any benchmarks out there to show this? Because if we're only talking about 4-5 FPS difference it won't be worth it to me at this time. From what i am reading we won't see very many directX 11 games until late 2010.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... I think that XP will allways be faster, but the difference is not so big. If you want fastest possible frame rates use with old games use XP if you want better value to your new games chose Win7.
The XP is just lighter than Win7. Win7 on the other hand support more new features. It would be nice to know if there is difference in multi treath aplications?
But if you are upgrading now, go to win7, ig you are upgrading 2011 take win7 then. It's not a must at this moment, but it most propable will be sooner or later...

Status
Not open for further replies.