Windows 7 BSOD after installing newer drivers for GTX560Ti

Marek_4

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
After installing latest nVidia drivers, my 560Ti is making Windows 7 go to BSOD when booting. I am able to run Windows only in safe mode or without

nVidia drivers as a Standard VGA adapter. Even older driers are not working now.

Marek_4

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Thanks, Joe.

This worked only in 1 attempt out of maybe 5-6, and it was before I re-installed Windows completely.

But even then, I could not install newer drivers without getting to BSOD, even in a clean install. In fact, it looks like even older drivers are now giving me BSOD. I am just unable to use anything else than "Standard VGA Adapter" with my 560Ti card installed, otherwise - BSOD.

TotalEclipse08

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Hey Marek, I'm having/had the exact same problem that you are having, same card too! When I plug my card in now and run my monitor through it I get green artefacts all over the screen - making be believe that the card has ended it's life span.

Have you made any further progress?

Marek_4

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015

Hi,
I just had an opportunity to test my card in another PC. Does not work either. So I assume that the card is dead. Yours is probably too, because you mentioned the artifacts, which I did not have - but as far as I have read the threads, it also means that it's gone.
Try another, and try yours in another PC.
Good luck!

TotalEclipse08

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I baked it in the oven, not kidding. There are lots of ways to do it but this is what I did.

Removed the main fan/heatsink component
Scrubbed off the thermal compound with rubbing alcohol
Set the over to 180 degrees Celsius (preheated)
Put the card on top of two tin foil balls on a baking tray in the oven
Set timer for 9 minutes (people say 5 minutes isn't enough and 12 minutes is too much)
Turn off the over after 9 minutes, but leave the card in there for 15/20 minutes
Open the oven door after 15/20 and leave to cool for another 20/30 minutes
Apparently this allows the card to cool down gradually
Reapply thermal paste and reattach heatsink etc

Apparently the whole process reseats all of the solder joints, which is often the problem with an old card suddenly becoming unusable.

There are a lot of videos on it but this is what I did. Now my card is working like new, not kidding.

Obviously do this when you've tried everything else.