Windows 7 free activation

Danzas4321

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
So im thinking about upgrading my PC when Steamroller releases, but i dont want to fork out another £70 for windows 7. so is there a way to make microsoft give you another product key for OEm when upgrading your Motherboard, such as one day you woke up and your cmos battery had dislodged and your motherboard was broken? any help is appreciated as i probably wont be able to afford another copy of windows when the time comes. Many thanks

Danzas4321

Solution
MS may authorize it if and only if the original motherboard broke, and this is a replacement. Just having new parts because you want to upgrade doesn't count.

GeekThief-1354135

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Microsofts terms are not as bad as people think. you can replace parts inside the computer if upgrade and/or replacement is needed and use your exciting window key as long and that windows is only installed on that pc only!

but if you install the same windows key on more than 1 pc that key can be locked and you will need to buy another one.

USAFRet

Titan

That depends a lot on the version (Win7 vs Win8) and what version you buy (OEM vs retail vs System Builder)
The licensing changed significantly between 7 & 8.

Right now, I'm in the middle of reinstalling Win 8 Pro. The upgrade version bought for $40 last November. I had to call to get it activated. Even though the only thing that changed was a different SSD.

GeekThief-1354135

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
with win 8 upgrade, they have to be installed on a supported window system that already activated or once the upgrade is installed it will not activate.

also with win 8 and the new office 2013 your not meant to activate more than one time every 90 day. so if you have to reinstall windows 8 or office 2 or 3 times then phone activation will be required :)

USAFRet

Titan

Right. This was originally installed back in November. Not sure why, but the other day SSD #1 + Win8Pro decided to barf all over itself and say Windows is not activated. I was on the cusp of reinstalling anyway, so go for it.
So...swap SSD's, install a vanilla 8, do the upgrade to 8 Pro "This version is already installed on another computer" nooo...it isn't! Literally, the only change was a different SSD.
...nope, gotta call. Reciting 70 digits later, it is activated.