[SOLVED] Windows 7 freezes after boot

Feb 15, 2020
A very old Toshiba laptop with Core Duo and Windows 7 after successful booting just freezes. Sometimes it would not even boot but show weird screen distortions and shut off by itself but most often it boots well, then freezes. Sometimes after freezing shuts off. I tried to check the disk from safe mode with checkdisk and after that it freezes even when put in safe mode (even before the desktop). I tried to restore it with the usb boot (upgrading to 10 as I dont have a 7 copy) but it says can't perform, need windows to be booted (at least when I'm choosing to save files). Any help appreciated greatly!

Solution
If you have a valid product key for Windows 7, you can still download the ISO from Microsoft. I don't think OEM from the laptop manufacturer would work,but it's not going to hurt to try. If it doesn't work, check with the laptop manufacturer to see if there is a way for you to get a recovery DVD/USB.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you have a valid product key for Windows 7, you can still download the ISO from Microsoft. I don't think OEM from the laptop manufacturer would work,but it's not going to hurt to try. If it doesn't work, check with the laptop manufacturer to see if there is a way for you to get a recovery DVD/USB.

-Wolf sends

Solution
The old Toshibas were renown for having the GPU solder welds fail, leading to your exact problem. The fix is called reballing which is a very involved process, certainly beyond the value of your laptop. Some have had limited success pulling the main board and cooking it in the oven (I'm not kidding), but you should probably consider your laptop toast.