Windows 7 Hangs after login, stays on welcome screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hey, Need Help Pls!

Just bought and installed windows 7 pro. I downloaded it from/ got student discount wont have the DVD disk unitl it gets shipped in. Anyways, after having it installed a few days (no problems), powercord accidently gets pulled while PC is on. I turn PC back on and after I type my password and hit enter my PC stays at the welcome screen with the circle moving. HDD activity lite stays on. What can I do to fix this?
System Specs:
ASUS Mobo M479 T Deluxe AM2
AMD 9950 quad core @ 2.6 Ghz
4 gb Corsair DDr2 800 Mhz
500 GB WD HDD
ATI 4850 Video Card

Solution
you can't download the .iso from this program
you can turn it into an .iso using this guide:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

arges86

Distinguished
sounds like you need to try to download/get your hands on a Windows recovery disk...
your Student discount download could have been made into an image file.. to then burn on a DVD.

Did you try and see if you can start it in safemode?

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Yep, it booted into safemode after like 5 mins...... I finally figured it out after I tried to login in to my regular user again. After 20 mins of waiting at the welcome screen, windows tells me the "User Profile Failed the Logon". I looked that up on google and found out it was a vista issue. So I logged back into safemode created another admin account, then restarted and logged into the newly created admin and deleted the old profile. Everything works well now. I sure hope I dont see this again. It seems it was a registry issue.

skyecat3

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I also downloaded the student deal and converted it to an .iso and burned to a DVD. Installed, clean, on 2 computers (purchased 2 keys) and the one computer is fine. My computer is hanging at the Welcome screen but this only began after the windows update from 10/27. I can boot into safe mode fine and do a restore to right before the update and the PC works fine. I run windows update and apply the update from 10/27 and the issue comes right back hanging on the Welcome screen. This is very upsetting and any help is appreciated.

arges86

Distinguished
which update exactly?
try copying is KBN number and searching for that
"Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB975364)"
is the update that i have for 10/27
if you don't use IE, (if you use Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, ect) then i wouldn't worry about it, and just hide the update. Maybe MS will fix the problem with a future patch.

edan00

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I am also experiencing the login hang after applying a large set of patches, including KB975364. I tried to debug it by hitting F8 and booting with boot logging on. I discovered that my machine no longer hangs when I boot this way and stays up rock solid after boot. If you are experiecing this problem, give this a shot!

edan00

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

Wanted to let you know that I have worked around this hang by booting with boot logging on. Hit F8 during boot and choose the boot logging option from the menu. Avoids the hang for me.

Have you confirmed that the problem is with KB975364? Have you tried deinstalling it to see if that resolves your problem? If so, I think I'll try deinstalling it as well.

edan00

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I posted this problem to the TechNet forums on microsoft.com. A Microsoft Engineer took note of the fact that this problem did not manifest itself in safe mode and concluded that it had to be a device driver. I had 62 devices that could be disabled, so after a little binary search I was able to determine that the problem came from my Brother MFC-9840CDW printer driver. Low and behold, a new driver was available on the Brother web site and my problem has been solved.

If you are experiencing this problem, try disabling devices to find the culprit.

bgfouts

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I also had this problem, and nothing on this message board helped. Then I noticed that my right click key on my laptop was jammed down. I took it apart and blew out the area under the key. Reassembled, and it worked fine.

mfloor

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010

I gave it a shot and it worked! Thanks for the tip :) . I had no new drivers or software installation - also no loss of power or other abnormal shut-down. The only thing that changed was the network connection because I moved the computer.

sqrrlgrrl

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

@edan00 -- I am searching the forum to see how to handle my computer (Win7) as it hangs on the Welcome Screen. I had to LOL when I saw your post.... because I too have a Brother MFC-9840CDW! I am hoping this will fix my problem.

Many thanks for your post!!

Sqrrlgrrl

jackyuan222

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hmmm. So basically, if you can boot up windows 7, but can't login, you need to disable drivers you recently installed.
But the thing is, the driver which caused win7 to stop working was one that had not been updated or installed recently.
Admittedly, the device driver started to cause win7 to crash after one of microsoft's update :S

wilfreeman

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I had this issue recently after I noticed one of my hard drives making an odd noise as it mounted and unmounted itself. I thought there could be a faulty cable or connection, so I Shut Down the computer to investigate. Once I reboot, I ran into this issue. I should note that the system tried to check the drive in question, and after an extremely brief attempt, the computer started.

Here's what I did to fix this issue:

1) Downloaded a copy of my Operating System (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit)

2) Booted the computer up with the disc in the machine, and booted from disc

3) Clicked "Repair this computer" (or whatever it says after the main splash screen)

4) Selected the Operating System I wanted to repair and clicked "Next"

5) Chose the "Command Prompt" option from the list

---Here's where some people might have got lost---

---You should see something like "X:\Sources"---

6) Typed "cd .." until I was in the root "X:\" directory

---The repair utility had renamed my operating system's disk drive letter, so yours may not be "C:\", as my drive wasn't---

7) Typed different drive letters in until I found the right one (You should see folders like Program Files, Windows, Users, etc once you've found the right hard disk)

a) For example, "E:", "G:", "I:" and check each one to see the content by typing "dir"... also, be careful not to include the back-slash after the colon... I don't know why, but this utility doesn't like it when you include that, so make sure you're only typing in the drive letter followed by a colon

b) My drive letter the first time I went in here was G, and then it was H the second time, so I typed "H:"

---I think people who've tried chkdsk /r in the past may have done so when they were located in the "X:\Sources" directory, and their disk check would have rendered no useful result---

---One of my first attempts left me stumped because I couldn't navigate correctly using the commands I was familiar with, so pay attention to how you're asking it do things---

---This recovery program renames the system's drive letter, you have to make sure you're in that directory to run the check disk program---

8) I typed "chkdsk /r" and the system began checking the disk

9) It asked me if I wanted to unmount the drive, I typed "Y" and hit enter to continue

10) Typed "exit" and restarted the computer

That's all I had to do and my issue with the forever "Welcome" loop was fixed. My system did start once while in this viciously annoying cycle, and it when it did, I also encountered the issue with nothing really working/running correctly.

I hope this helps someone else, as it was really simple once I figured it out. I'm sure there are more complicated versions of this bug, but if you're just starting out, try what I did and you may be as lucky as I was with the easy fix.

mick1601

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
My PC has been working fine for the last year and just the other morning, I went to turn it on and it got the welcome screen and the circle froze and the PC locked up. it boots fine in safe mode.

I did a system restore to an earlier point, but the problem persisted.

I had an image file backup of the PC in an earlier state and I restored that image, but the PC would still not start up.

I tried to "repair this computer" with my original Windows 7 ultimate DVD, but it found no errors.

from safe mode, if I deselected all startup programs and the service desktop manager it would start fine, but I attempted to open internet explorer with any addons, or started anything with java, it would freeze.

At the end of the day, I was about to format my drive and start from scratch when I found and installed hotfix 2578159.

After running the hotfix, I enabled all services and startup programs and my PC booted up perfectly.

The hotfix can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2578159

I hope this helps anyone else with this problems.

With Regards,

Mick.

Status
Not open for further replies.