Windows 7 Initial Sales Blast Past Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Perhaps one day we'll find out if the sky is blue.[/citation]Sometimes it's black with white specs, gray and spitting water, and sometimes even red! The sky's color is a very fickle thing.

Glad to see the numbers and Vista comparisons. Any chance of getting them compared to XP in an article?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
To me it speaks more to the good marketing around Windows 7 and (as those here probably already know) marketing and reviews around Vista sucked. Windows 7 is definitely improved over Windows Vista, but they still make Vista out to be horrible when it isn't.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
But...but... why go to all that trouble upgrading to Windows 7? Just buy an Apple and... wait... what was our catch phrase again?

lutel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I hope to see decent review of Windows 7 and benchmarks against XP / XP-64bit - I think we can forget about Vista now. I like eye-candies of Win7 and DirectX11, but not sure if its faster that my good old XP. And I truly hate DRM which is designed not for user, but against user.

For all the bad about Vista, well, it really wasn't that bad in my opinion. I liked it more than XP, i.e. flashier UI. However, W7 is much better in terms of how "smooth" it feels and it's somewhat improved UI.

G

I agree with lutel. We've seen some W7 vs. Vista performance reviews but the real question is 32bit XP vs. 64bit W7 as that's the real upgrade path for the majority of users, including enthusiasts.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
When Vista was released, the U. S. was in an economic boom. The windows 7 sales are impressive considering we are in a recession.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]precariousgray[/nom]Looks like Microsoft learned this time around: better marketing, better sales![/citation]

It is a good product people will buy it without need of any great marketing. To me vista has the greatest marketing but did nothing to spur sales.

Although I had a few issues with the Win7 RC1 download, the shipping product has corrected them. So I'm quite happy with it, although I liked Vista too. And special kudos to MS for giving us free basic security software as well.

FREE IS GOOD! :D

Johnsquare

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Maybe if microsoft would lower their prices, it could make business investments more competitive and help economic growth. Economic boom wasn't due to vista sales but the other way around i guess. :)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
the reason why windows is doing better this time around is because they had the public test the beta versions, since most of the bugs were worked out. win7 is a much better product and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. thumbs up to MS.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]...they had the public test the beta versions...[/citation]
The public got to test the Vista beta versions too, it's just that they put a limit on how many downloads were available. Win7 they just kept it open with no limit on downloads and a long period of time that it could be downloaded in

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]It is a good product people will buy it without need of any great marketing. To me vista has the greatest marketing but did nothing to spur sales.[/citation]

Thats only 1/2 true.

Look at Apple. they sell shit, still got good sales.

One word : Marketing.

Better marketing, for the most part, better OS, and fewer issues at launch than Vista. Vista over promised, under delivered, and was late because they spent so much time trying to do an ME and patch XP rather than rewriting years of bad code, which is what they finally had to do in the end. Even so Vista served as the basis of Win7 and I hope that MS goes forward with good software writing practices, at the very least in their OS anyway.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
$30 for Win7 if you have a .edu email address (just use a friends)...
You can ever request a direct install version (instead of a upgrade version)...

I just upgraded, all smooth in 40 minutes while I could keep working/gaming, my 4 yo single core machine now boots (after POST to login) in 10 seconds!

...wait, it ain't with 7. Ah damn, that was my Mandriva 2009.1 to 2010 online upgrade.

Can I do that (upgrade online without having to reboot before the upgrade is done, no DVD to burn nor put in drive) with Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS