Windows 7 install both 32 64

fupekatt

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Windows 7 ships in both 32 and 64 bit when you buy one. If you install BOTH versions on the SAME pc (but on separate partitions, of course), will you be able to get both installations VALIDATED by Microsoft??? Anybody tried yet?

Absolutely true. :) I asked, though, because it's seldom we have developers here, and because a (professional) Dev would more than likely obtain same though work or via MSDN subscription. Under those conditions, the licencing is irrelevant from a user standpoint: Either the company paid for it, or it's included in yoru subscription and you can use however many you need.

fupekatt

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

Because not all sw and hw will run on x64

Not all developers are professionals who subscribe to MSDN. I do a little programming, but not so much that I could justify the expense of an MSDN subscription. I've got lots of OSs installed on a few PCs.

Just to put a different spin on things: If you're referring to the retail box that ships with both 32 and 64bit discs, then no, you only get one product key and can only validate one of the two. If you buy them separately, like the OEM version, you should get a product key for each.

All 32 bit software will run on x64 right now - the exception is something that needs 32 bit drivers or that has a 16 bit installer. Those are getting more and more rare, so honestly, I'd just go with the pure x64.

fupekatt

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
None of these responses relate directly to my initial question, though;

If you install BOTH versions (x32 and x64) on the SAME pc (but on separate partitions, of course), will you be able to get both installations VALIDATED by Microsoft???
Anybody tried yet?

fupekatt

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

Sorry, I overlooked it :sleep:
Your reply perfectly answers my question.
(But - can we be 100% sure on this? Cause, you CAN reformat a drive and re-activate, can't you?)