Windows 7 is Finally More Popular Than Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i may sound crazy, but i am completely fine with this chokehold microsoft has on the OS market. I love win7, and as long as they keep up with the goodies, they can keep that chokehold.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
As much as we want to cast out XP, it still does the job for most people who do not know how to reformat their PC. Though the current adoption rate seems to be going faster than XP (though I don't have a source for that).

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Then I'm in deep Steam minority with Vista 64 Ultimate. I'd upgrade if only Microsoft had provided a fair upgrade path for Vista Ultimate users...

Azriel4444

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Ehhh... I'll wait little longer to upgrade. Vista Ultimate 64 bit works fine for me at the moment. Not that I am in denial over 7 being better. Just can't justify the price to upgrade.

ag2twins

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
WOW!!! I'm so glad you wrote this article it is overflowing with inovation and definitely shows how Microsoft has not lost it's edge. I mean the way you captured how their horrible OS has lost users to their less horrible OS, that is the epitome of inovation.

ag2twins

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
WOW!!! I'm so glad you wrote this article it is overflowing with inovation and definitely shows how Microsoft has not lost it's edge. I mean the way you captured how their horrible OS has lost users to their less horrible OS, that is the epitome of inovation.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Quit double posting, especially when you have no clue what you're talking about and can't freaking spell. If every article was to invoke innovation then none of these writers would have a job. They just report whats up in the tech world.

Anywho, I love XP but now I love Win 7 even more.

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Windows 7 wouldn't be as popular as it is if there were not many important features, such as Trim(for SSD) and DX11, not supported by the extremely outdated XP. IMO, XP is the best OS DISREGARDING THE NECESSARY NEW FEATURES on windows 7. I hope that Microsoft can write a new OS based on XP core with all features in windows 7 implemented.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Congrats to Microsoft for Windows 7 and congrats to all the Windows 7 owners.

On the other hand
Apple, despite its huge success on mobile devices, experienced another slide in Mac OS X for the fourth month straight, which now sits at 5 percent.
I must also congratulate Apple for their failure.

alert101

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I do have Win 7 on my laptop and on a Vmware virtual machine I use for programming, so I am familiar with the OS. I haven't really experienced anything "special" that would require me to upgrade my primary computer. Vista 64bit works just fine for me. Been thinking about upgrading but as MS didn't provide a reasonable upgrade path for Vista users I've put off with it for now.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ag2twins[/nom]WOW!!! I'm so glad you wrote this article it is overflowing with inovation and definitely shows how Microsoft has not lost it's edge. I mean the way you captured how their horrible OS has lost users to their less horrible OS, that is the epitome of inovation.[/citation]
Horrible to less horrible. Hmm.
Can you even bring yourself to say that they are improving or getting better?
Probably not, even to admit it was less horrible must have been like pulling teeth.
If the user base is higher for Windows 7 in the more technically capable segment of hardcore Steam gamers what does that say about what Windows 7 actually delivers, because the same old tired arguement about idiot customers who dont know anything being duped into buying something they dont know just doesnt hold water. Your average Steam gamer is literate, informed and capable and they know a good thing when they see it, Windows 7 is exactly what the PC using world needed, a worthy successor to a solid OS that is sadly a bit long in the tooth.

It's a real shame about Apples shrinking market share, I honestly mean that, because it is like any other competative market. Without a technically proficient alternate to spur development along then stagnation occurs. Windows XP had a run for 8 years before Windows 7 came along and Apple did nothing to capitalise on it. How come Linux managed to do so with no resources and no advertising? Some would even say that Windows 7 was rolled out to fight off the competition from Linux, rather than Apple.

So well done Windows 7, but dont get cocky. Because one day Apple may release an OS that allows people to install it legitimately on their existing PC hardware, use all their existing software without performance hits and play all their games without compatability issues. Be ready.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Im honestly surprised this didnt happen sooner. Windows 7 is really fantastic! Ive had nothing but good experiences with it even back when it was in early beta.

G

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So well done Windows 7, but dont get cocky. Because one day Apple may release an OS that allows people to install it legitimately on their existing PC hardware, use all their existing software without performance hits and play all their games without compatability issues. Be ready.[/citation]

I doubt it, Apple are far too closed minded and make their money on the Hardware markup! Drivers for open systems would be a nightmare as well.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]Then I'm in deep Steam minority with Vista 64 Ultimate. I'd upgrade if only Microsoft had provided a fair upgrade path for Vista Ultimate users...[/citation]

They did, you missed it. Family packs? Other options way back then?

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I'm on Win 7 Home Premium....

had to reinstall that again when I moved to SSD....

I have access to Win 7 Pro....

NOT looking forward to reinstall anytime soon...maybe when I'm EXTREMELY bored....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]I doubt it, Apple are far too closed minded and make their money on the Hardware markup! Drivers for open systems would be a nightmare as well.[/citation]
Apple is it's own worst enemy, dont they realise that allowing to install on any hardware is what made MS the giant that it is? If you were ever going to copy a business model then look no further.
Not that I am complaining, MS has over 91% of the market because they follow the first rule of customer service.
Give the customer what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS