Windows 7 Memory Diagnostics detected "Hardware problems" with new RAM

patach

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Bought the PNY PC2-5300 2x2gb memory sticks to accompany my two corsair 1gb sticks next to them for a sum of 6 gb of ram.

They worked fine, didn't seem to find any problems with them, no freezes or anything and my Windows 7 64-bit system detected them just fine.

Problem is that I ran a memory diagnostic test with these on, every time, even after unplugging and plugging them back in each time, the error : "Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you need to contact the computer manufacturer".

Removal of this ram and running the diagnostic again shows no problems, so it's definitely this ram's fault.

Should I return this, even though there has so far been no problem? Or is this a disaster waiting to happen down the road, and I should send these back as soon as possible?

What should my move be here? Thank you again for any help you can give me!

patach

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I have tried to run Memtest86.

The version 3.5 doesn't support anything over 4gb.

The 3.4a which DOES apparently doesn't support 64-bit Windows.

Windows Memory Diagnostic has so far been the only thing I've found to have worked. Is there any other way to test if my memory is a potential problem?

patach

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Seems to me that the computer has found quite a few errors (at the time, it's been finding some more since I took the picture):

http://i.imgur.com/Fcliq.jpg

So, both tests show that something could be wrong with the RAM. Would it be defective, or is the brand the problem with these tests?

Would the working corsair memory be clashing with the PNY memory?

I'm not sure if I have much time to return these, I may need to make my decision before the end of the week. :(

patach

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Tried to run my 1066mhz memory at its highest speed, kept getting BSOD, so I switched it back to 800mhz. It's still good memory, but I've wish I could use it at top speed. Perhaps my motherboard wasn't made for it :(

dannylivesforher

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys,I've got a 2 GB RAM,not sure about the brand though. I was rating my system with windows 7,when suddenly system got restarted,reporting a blue screen error.I heard it was the trouble with RAM,so I ran Memory Diagnostic Tool.It said,Hardware Problems detected,I need to contact the manufacturer.
I was wondering what the problem is.Should I get the RAM changed...?
Please help me understand the problem.

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
The program CPU-Z can help you identify the RAM, and most companies warrant it for life.

I'm guessing your RAM, like the PNY and Corsair, consists of rebranded chips, which are known to be of low quality, and the quality may be worse than ever for DDR2, due to its high cost and short supply.

dannylivesforher

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

It's a DDR3. So,should I replace the RAM? Are you sure the restarting is due to the trouble with RAM...? This has occured before,when I played a 1080p video,while copying a game from CD....

dannylivesforher

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Thanks dude.In fact,it was the trouble with the RAM.Why,the last day,I got everything messed up. I got my OS crashed,system boot failure,telling that the "ntfs.sys" file and "kernel" is missing or corrupt. I tried to reinstall the OS.But my attempt proved to be in vain,as I failed to get ANY OF THE OS installed. The RAM I had was,something called 'DYNET',which I never had heard before. But now that I've got a Corsair 4GB. And I'm quite satisfied with it,and everything is going smooth.
Thanks anyway for your help.

ReverseEMF

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
My Success Story:

I have an HP "Pavillion Media Center PC" [m8100n] running Win 7. About a year ago, I added more RAM to it [populated the "blue" sockets]. The months following, my PC would occasionally Blue Screen or Randomly Reset. Because the first event didn't occur until months after I added the memory, I didn't relate the two. After replacing the power supply didn't help, I ran the Memory Diagnostic, and right away got a Hardware Error message. So I started swapping out memory trying to find the stick or sticks that were causing the problem. Soon, I determined that it was only when there was memory in the two black sockets and no memory in the blue sockets that the Memory Diagnostic showed no errors [i.e. the configuration before I added memory o-so-many months ago].

So, I went into the BIOS and looked for "RAM tuning" settings such as CAS latency and bus speed -- NOTHING! Then it occurred to me that the BIOS might adjust these setting auto-magically when the BIOS is defaulted. So, I loaded all of the memory sticks back into the sockets [all sockets filled] and then defaulted the BIOS. Then I ran the Memory Diagnostic again and HaaZaa!! no errors!

shez1461

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Then what?

ReverseEMF

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Happy computing!
[The conclusion of a Windows memory Diagnostic is the Diagnostic Report on the Windows Desktop i.e. what else is there to do but resume a life of GUI madness!]