Question Windows 7 Motherboard change without reinstallation?

May 19, 2019
Hi guys im pretty new to PC building so bear with me. Im about to upgrade my old motherboard to a new one and I want to keep my Windows 7 activated. I've looked online and apparently using Sysprep and selecting shut down will automatically optimize for the new mobo. Will this actually work?

I dont want to lose anything i have so many games on my current Hard Drive and all i want is to simply change the motherboard.

May 19, 2019
Using sysprep or reinstalling windows both will deactivate your windows, i might be wrong but other members could correct me on this.

an OEM key wont work right? thats what i have. My real issue is that when i replace the motherboard without doing anything will do some kind of System failure and have a Startup Repair happen

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well OEM key probably wont be transferable, if i were you i would buy a windows 10 key instead.
7 will end support soon and 10 has a lot of features that will make it look like 7.
And you should reinstall your windows whenever you change your motherboard, because it could cause some system issues due to different drivers and such.

May 19, 2019
Well OEM key probably wont be transferable, if i were you i would buy a windows 10 key instead.
7 will end support soon and 10 has a lot of features that will make it look like 7.
And you should reinstall your windows whenever you change your motherboard, because it could cause some system issues due to different drivers and such.

im planning to buy one soon but in the mean time can i install Windows 10 for free? and will installing Win10 get rid of any kind of data?

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well obviously installing windows 10 will format your harddrives and you should format your hard drive whenever switches a motherboard, plus if theres any kind of viruses or such will be removed.
You could install windows 10 and keep the trial version for 30 days, should be enough for your to get your hands on a key.

May 19, 2019
Well obviously installing windows 10 will format your harddrives and you should format your hard drive whenever switches a motherboard, plus if theres any kind of viruses or such will be removed.
You could install windows 10 and keep the trial version for 30 days, should be enough for your to get your hands on a key.

is it possible tho to use a different drive in the installation proccess of Win10 then later one swap the drives and still have the files intact?

USAFRet

Titan
You're facing 2 issues here. Activation and Operation.

Activation.
You can probably upgrade your current Windows 7, in the current hardware, to Win 10. For free.
This activation can almost certainly transfer to your new hardware.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

However...
Operation:
You'll probably need to do a clean install with the new hardware. This means you'll have to reinstall all your applications.
Your personal files, of course, can be saved off to some other drive during this process.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well yeah, but why would you go through all that? just backup the needed data to a flash drive or something and format your computer.
None the less yes you could, but you should probably set the boot up from the drive that has windows 10.

May 19, 2019
You're facing 2 issues here. Activation and Operation.

Activation.
You can probably upgrade your current Windows 7, in the current hardware, to Win 10. For free.
This activation can almost certainly transfer to your new hardware.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

However...
Operation:
You'll probably need to do a clean install with the new hardware. This means you'll have to reinstall all your applications.
Your personal files, of course, can be saved off to some other drive during this process.

so i cant just reconnect the real drive and have everything there? Because my game files are in the real drive with shorcuts and whatnot and will really be a hassle to reinstall every game. Desktop apps like Google Chrome are fine tho

USAFRet

Titan
so i cant just reconnect the real drive and have everything there? Because my game files are in the real drive with shorcuts and whatnot and will really be a hassle to reinstall every game. Desktop apps like Google Chrome are fine tho
No.
All your shortcuts won't work, because that data now lives in a different drive letter.
You OS drive, the new one, is the C drive. This old drive would be the D or higher.
(and no, you can't just swap drive letters around)
In addition, the old drive has the old OS on it, sucking up space and making things confusing.

Are these Steam games? If so, we can make this work, but not like you're thinking.