Windows 7 or Vista?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

for the most part, no they aren't, im saying though, that if there is, it will be with xp stuff, nto vista, cuz there will not be any issues with vista hardware/software

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
perhaps, and i get what ur saying with xp going to be the one that gets compatibility issues, the only problem is, if ppl don't upgrade to 7, and stick with xp, and xp holds the market share, then developers will need to support xp to service, and vista/windows 7, so that's the problem, were when ppl will upgrade to 7 then those few xp ppl will run into problems, its really anyone's guess as to what will happen

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

Then your not seeing all the words that are on your screen. It has been made very clear in other threads(that have been locked by mods) that given the right hardware, Quad cores, 6 gb of ram, large improvements have been made, from XP, to Vista 64 bit to Window 7 64 bit. Burning, Cad programs, inroute software, CNC routers, and other software that Croc gave times on in each OS that he ran on in all three OS. Showing that Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 take advantage of newer hardware, bringing more to the table then just improved security at stock setup. Gamers also see new GPUs coming and the improvements in tech that they offer, with Vista and Windows 7. Its that simple

Yes Hab, that is correct Vista and Windows 7 64 bit does run them, and does so very well.

And when I built my first rig, XP 64 bit was around $164 I believe, and Vista 64 bit was only $100 so I saved money going with Vista 64 bit. I guess I can thank all the haters who dogged it from day one, because it looks like you guys brought the price down to a reasonable amount.

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
lol, i guess i kinda get what ur saying habitat87, and it dose make me laugh to, but who pacifically r u talking to?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Here's the link for the Vista 64 bit drivers for that printer:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3204966&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3204963&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2100

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Well with Crocs example it took XP 30 mins to complete a file, Vista around 15min, windows 7 only 10 min. So if your doing that more then once a day I would say a 50-60% speed increase is very productive, and is real world reality.

Further more I am not just pulling opinions out of my arse, when I go to burn a 4gb file to disc, and Vista 64 does it faster then XP by 35-50% which I have seen first hand, once again I would say that is a very large improvement when done on the same hardware specs. If you haven't built a computer lately with some of the new processors, hardrives, Raid 0 set ups, SSD drives, more then 3 gb of ram and a 64 bit OS, then your not going to get what is being said until you see it for yourself.

If you don't like mircosoft for personal reasons, then don't buy there software. You have that right. Stay with XP if you like it, if it works for you then great.

However there are some users who have invested in to new hardware that performs smoother, faster, on Vista and Windows 7 then on older OS. with older hardware or even the same hardware.

betaman

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
One thing I noticed is that Windows 7 (both Beta and the current RC) seem to run Internet Explorer 8 more reliably. I have seen tons of XP and Vista PCs that balk trying to hit a Google or MSN or Yahoo page. IE8 offers to resolve the "problem" and after a simple refresh the page shows. Now you have to cancel the "problem solving" wizard! Yuckk! But with 7 I have yet to see that happen even once. It definitely understands IE8 better than Vista.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Most games are GPU bottle-necked, up to a point. At 25x18 res, then it takes both very good GPU's and a beefy CPU to cope. Some games are just CPU bound outright. FSX is a case in point. What's your framerate in FSX?

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have both, Dual and Quad core set ups, overclocked and with dual grafix cards, and water cooling, both work well however I don't game on my dual core any more, because my main system that is a Quad at 3.6 ghz just runs better. I have to laugh at your statement however,

"Don't be the person that's confused as to why the person with an overclocked dual core with dual graphics for under 600 dollars total is getting better gameplay"

because I had around $1100 dollars into my first build, and I doubt a person that spent $600 dollars on there rig is getting better gaming experience out of it then my dual core build at 3.4ghz.

I hope google does make a better OS, as I hope that any company that can produce a better product does so because of advancement between more then two companys gives a better chance of all of us getting something better, for less money out of our pockets.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

Well Not that I do not like Vista, because I do like it. Today was the first time I booted Vista in a week, and I only did to update and run defender. I find myself running Windows 7 all the time now. On the 939 socket build we just put windows 7 32 bit and it has Vista 64 bit on it also, but we are running Windows 7 full time. If the price is decent, which I have heard MS is giving a family plan, up to three computers in the same house, for around $150 I will be picking it up when it comes out in Oct.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

I was going to bring that point up with FSX croc, but people who run that game are not normal!!!! :sarcastic:

Anyone who has played that on a Dual core, and a Quad core with crossfire or SLI knows that there cheap Quad is the best choice for good game play.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Here is a clue, not that your going to get it, but here we go once again, this is a thread were the OP asks peoples opinions, Vista or Windows 7. The thread is not XP or Vista or Windows 7. There seems to be one constint in your line of big thinking, you have XP your brain 24/7, and you must feel like you have to convert anyone who thinks other OS are better choice for what they do with there computers. You bring forth very little in truth regarding were Vista is at today, and try to spread the bad of Vista the first few months when it was released.

Your a smart guy right, I have stated the specs on all five of my builds several times, and not that it matters but I OC my 6400 B.E past 3.5 but bumped it back down givent the fact that I didn't feel like it needed to be past 3.4ghz and it is now my girlfriend full time rig and on Air cooling.

Before yet another Thread gets locked by the mods, I leave this thread to you, even though you don't belong here posting in it, given you have nothing real to add to a Vista vs Windows 7 thread, only your warped point of view on how bad Vista is and that Windows 7 might have the same problems as Vista does, and IMO its all in your head.

Have fun with your XP and your $600 dollar dual core OC to 8 ghz so you can play FSX and still not have a very good gaming experience. :love: :lol:

randomizer

Champion
The old thread got locked for the same reason this one is being locked: you lot seem to feel the need to argue the same thing in every thread for pages and pages. The OP asked about Vista and Win 7, then asked if there were "mods" for making those OSs look similar to XP. Suddenly we're debating Vista vs XP again!

Status
Not open for further replies.