Windows 7 Product Key Not Valid?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Hi,

I am in a bit of trouble here and i need some assistance. What's happened is recently i completely erased everything on my Lenovo T61 laptop as i decided i wanted to sell it. After doing so my laptop is stuck in grub mode where it says no such partition exists. This is down to me completely erasing everything by mistake.

Now what i've been told by others is that i need to re install Windows 7 on it again as this is what was originally running on it. So i've tried downloading Windows 7 on to my PC where am asked to verify my copy of Windows 7 by entering the product key. I got the product key from the sticker underneath the laptop but when i enter it in and try and verify it, it says the product key not valid. I've tried it a couple of times and it's not working and i don't know what to do. I've also asked this same question on the Microsoft help forum and am still awaiting a reply.

If anyone on here can help i would really appreciate it, i really hope i haven't messed the laptop up for good:-(

Thanks

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
I've been doing a bit more research in to Windows 10 and am bit worried that my laptop won't be able to run it properly considering how old it is and spec of it. I know they released in both 32 and 64 and i have no idea which one my laptop is. The only information i have is the following: Lenovo Thinkpad T61 14.1"; 80GB HD Intel Core2 Duo 2Ghz with 2GB of RAM

Am now thinking of running Windows 7 on it as i believe that was the next version of Windows that they released after Vista. What does everyone else think?

USAFRet

Titan

I have a 2009 era Toshiba laptop of pretty similar specs.
2.2GHz Celeron, 2GHz RAM.

Win 10 runs on it. Slowly, but it was slow when it was new.
Win 7 wouldn't be any faster.

Win 10 Home should install on that thing.

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
When you say it was slow when you installed is it constantly running slow or just when you first installed it? I don't mind installing Windows 10 but did you install the 32 or 64 bit?

USAFRet

Titan

Slow, as in it is simply a low powered, slow system.
RXfbfmE.png

I doubt Win 7 would be any faster.
Single digit percentage diff, maybe.

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
I was just wanted to ask is there any official way of checking your version of Windows 10 has been successfully activated? I know you said previously that when it's not you get a message in the bottom right hand corner asking you to activate your version of Windows.

USAFRet

Titan

File Explorer
Right click on This PC, select Properties
It will say at the bottom "Windows is activated" (or otherwise)

Like this:
xIdIv9V.png

bhavick

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Thanks USAFRet and the all the others who contributed to this thread, i've now manged to sort the laptop out and it's working successfully. It's amazing the information that is shared on the internet. Thanks again it's much appreciated:)

USAFRet

Titan

Good luck, and don't be shy about sticking around...:)